Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't painted miniatures since my childhood. Those were mainly some D&D figurines, which I had painted with acrylic paints. At that point I was around 10 or 11, so I didn't really know what I was doing - More like having fun painting.

A few months ago I relocated to a new base and a few people in my shop play D&D as well as Warhammer 40k. I got into both and ordered a Necron Battleforce and painted them with Tamiya enamel paints.

I have never actually used enamels before in painting miniatures so this was also an experiment of sorts, where I learned clear gloss does not seem to be friendly with other enamel coats.

Essentially, the purpose of this post is to get the opinion of others out there. What are the pros and cons of the paint types out there (enamel, acrylic, oil-based, etc.) and which do you recommend be used for painting either plastic or metallic miniatures.

Additionally, I would like to know what methods people use to protect their miniatures, whether it be gloss coats or what have you.

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
I usually just use the GW paints and they work just fine for me. Iv'e had no problems with them. I also use the GW primers and glosses and they all work fine for me. I suggest using the GW paints. I really never put a coat or anything over it to keep it protected after im finished. Every once in awhile i'll put a gloss finish just for finishing touch and shine.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I use water based acrylic. Simple to thin (water) simple to clean (water) vibrant colors and TONS of potential colors.

I use Reaper Master Series, Vallejo Game and Model color

I use a Krylon matte finish to seal and it works great.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I use the GW colors but I will try those Vallejo paint one day. Not tomorrow though. :shifty:
To protect figs.. umm.. I'm not usually do that. If I would do that I would use this Purity Seal from GW.

·
269 Posts
I use Vallejo Game and Model colors as well. The Game Colors mimic and exceed (My opinion) the GW line. The Model colors is a LOT bigger color palette to choose from but the paints are not made for gaming and need to be sealed unless they are a display piece. Even then I would seal it.

Krylon is my recommendation both for Primer and Matt Finish. (I brush on gloss finish later if it needs it.)

I don't like the new GW because they would dry out quickly without outside intervention (Dish Soap, Water, etc...).

·
The Voice of Reason
756 Posts
I have used a variety of paints in my time. I started with Testor enamels. They work OK, but require turpentine to clean the brush, and tend to dry as a bunch of goop.

I switched to GW (acrylics) and haven't looked back. Compared to enamels, they go on smoother (though you should thin them a bit prior to use). Furthermore, they clean with good ol' H2O, so no more flammable turpentine. They seal well, but I find that Testors dullcote works the best as a sealant after I'm done painting. I have heard that gloss cote gives a hardier protection, but I don't like gloss. Apparently finishing with a spray of dullcote AFTER gloss will kill that gloss "shine", but for my money, dullcote is plenty good alone (and less expensive).

Vallejo is acrylic as well, and has its proponents, but I've never used it. Apart from the bottle (which is a better design than GW), I'm not sure of any other advantages.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to give acrylic painting a go. I don't think paying the exorbitant costs for the GW\Citadel miniature supplies is worth it, since you for the same amount or less you can get equal or higher quality paints. It's bad enough we, as players, have to pay so much for just the unit models for our armies - Especially since most of the models (at least for Necrons) are plastic/resin construction.

I believe the store I buy my enamels from also carries Tamiya acrylics, so I will pick those up. Being stationed overseas and relatively unfailiar with most of the Tokyo area, I don't really have the luxury of hunting down specific brands that may or may not even be supplied to Japan.

Can gloss enamel be used as a sealant for acrylic paint, or will it eat through the layers?

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
Another reason why I like GW paint is because in the codex's they describe the painting techniques and how they painted the model using GW colors.

And to your gloss question im not sure of the answer but the GW gloss doesn't eat through the GW paint. Unfortunatly I don't know what the case is for other paints.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I started with folkart and applebarrel craft acrylics and then I bought some folkart acrylic enamels, they're made for painting glass but they're pretty nice if you do some flat acrylic base coats. Lately I've been expanding my (cheap) paint collection with Golden brand acrylic paints. They're expensive but pretty amazing. I seal with krylon clear gloss 1 or 2 coats and finish with testors dullcote spray.

For ink I've been using watered down Createx black airbrush paint. Works great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts