Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I play fluffy Death Guard army and was thinking about including some Plague Zombies and wanted to know 2 things;

1) Are they actually any good?

2) Where the hell can I get truley awesome zombies that look vile enough to match my army?

My general 1.5/2K list is 6 units of 7 Plague Marines, 2 Obliterators and a hammer-unit of 7 Terminators plus Typhus (Maybe a dreadnaught or daemon prince too), but I was fancying the idea of throwing a zombie horde or 2 in. I was just wondering if sacrifucing a squad or 2 of plague marines would be worth it for full on horde.

But the biggest question I have is where the hell are there some truley epic zombies? Bloated and mutilated, maybe even ones I can convert to look like Space Marines and Guardsmen? I've looked around briefly but haven't found anything fantastic.

If any of you have any links or anything please let me know.

Reactions: Blight ME

·
Registered
278 Posts
1. Yes, Zombies are actually the only really good unit of our new codex, closely followed by the dragon. They can stand so much punishment there are very few enemies who can chew through them. Depending on your tactics, you can use 10 zombies as screening unit, they are charged and slaughtered in exactly 1 turn, you counter-charge and destroy your enemy. Or pack of 20 to 30, to keep even Berzerkers busy for 4-5 turns in a row. The only problem with zombies I know - they are taking too much space in your deployment zone, so you have to either pack them closely and be vulnerable to Vindicators, or pack them in anti-blast formation and be afraid of tank shock that can divide unit in 2 parts, when you just lose one part of them (it's actually the only way to destroy really big zombie hordes). Oh, and never stick a character with them, because wounding goes against average T value, so his higher T will be wasted.

2. I got them from Hoard-o-Bits, 1 pack of Mantic zombies + few packs of Wargames Factory Zombies + few packs of Wargames Factory Zombie Vixens, it makes really cool-looking horde of zombies. Here they are:
Hoard 'O Bits
Hoard 'O Bits
Hoard 'O Bits
Hoard 'O Bits
Hoard 'O Bits
Hoard 'O Bits
Hoard 'O Bits
Hoard 'O Bits
Hoard 'O Bits
(maybe I missed some parts, but you got the point).

·
4,967 Posts
Yes they are a bit steep.

Mantic do a deal through Wayland Games for a mix of scifi zombies made from their corporation troops and zombie/ghoul box sets and it is much cheaper.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those zombie Korps are really nice but I love the look on those other ones. Don't suppose anyone's seen any vomit I could put on them, have them throw up on people? Probably just green stuff it.
But I'm looking for a truly massive horde, 75-100 zombies, re-create the horror of Cadian Blood. (Great book) so those Hoards 'O Bits ones would be great, very interchangeable and loads of spare part, keep them looking individualish. But thenn again I'm poor so it would take a while.
Just dawned on me that that would be 400 points for 100 zombies... I cant get 2 squads of Plague Marines for that, or if a can, just barely. Seem like a definite tarpit unit.

Also, any advice on sludgy swampy bases? I've decided to snow base my army because the greens and browns just seem to look nice with the snow base but I wanted some pools of bile and decay here and there. Would do the same with my zombies. Hints?

·
4,967 Posts
For vomit you can just use PVA glue then sprinkle on some flower or ultra fine sand then paint and drybrush to taste.

These bases are my favourites for a Nurgly feel. The lip around them allows you to pour resin with a little ink mixed in to create water and swamp effects or add a little grey paint to make it look cloudy and icy then frost over some snow flock.

Creeping Infection : Secret Weapon Miniatures
Corpse Fields : Secret Weapon Miniatures

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whoa, those are some seriously good bases. Thanks.

And for the vomit effect too, I'll give it a try.

·
Mr Commisar to you
2,885 Posts
Just to tack it on if you pick up some guardsmen and some zombies from Gw they kitbash retry well. Maybe not the cheapest but certainly worth it for the unique look.
Couple of pics of my stuff not great pictures but you get the idea.

Hope that helps

A

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really like te conversion on the zombie officer guy.

But it's settled, I'm going Mantic. Those are amazing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts