Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i just bought my first box of gaunts and made 8 spinegaunrs from the hormagaunt bodies and 8 fleshgaunts from well the hormagaunt bodies. i also did some minor converting by heating up the tails and reposing them. they look great, it worked effectivly.

im writing this because im having trouble making a colour scheme for my army. i painted one gaunt already as a test scheme but i didnt like it. its skin/exo skeleton was a khemri brown(gravyard earth) with a brown wash then a drybrush of khemri brown mixed with belached bone. and i did the caprice black with red gore highlights, i also used the red for the pipes and tendons. after this i thought it looked crap so i redid the caprice plain black and still didnt like it, so i re undercoated him and quit that scheme.

im thinking for a new scheme have the whole model black or close to it. i was thinking having skin black with a slight tone of purple so it is a little different from the caprice and maybe do a very bright hilghlight on the caprice edges to make that secondary colour (purple) stand out on the black. but i dont really know and i dont wanna start painting again until im sure..

if anyone has ideas id love to hear. thanks.

p.s whats the best way to shade up black. whilst keeping it jetblack and not grey

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, have you tried dipping? Effective, fast and looks good, so give a try (lots of dipping tutorials on LO).

If you want to shade the black without grey, then you have to give it a colour... purple for example. Make the black so that the purple is barely visible but so that it has purple shade... 5:1 black:purple maybe? Then, add more purple, so 5:2, then 5:3, then 5:4, then 1:1. It'll be highlighted and it'll look good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks :) i think im just going to have to keep experimenting on my poor little gaunt :p haha. ill figure something out im just really picky with how my models will look

·
249 Posts
highlighting black is a pain, i sort of managed it with my ravenwing by just running codex grey along the edges - not the most sophisticated method and kinda crude, but at least the details pop out a bit. it'll be different for nids because you'd want to show a grain on the carapace, not just picking out details on smooth plates of power armour

i tried a scheme similar to yours, but with blood red over bestial brown for the body and highlighting the carapace with fenris grey from the foundation range.

it ended up just looking like the behemoth scheme :s

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeahh except mine wasnt glossy at all. and the red didnt "blend" with the gravyard earth very wel. maybe i should wash the whole model but ohwel hes back to black undercoat now :) haha. i think im going to leave my nids until Jan anyway and work on my necrons

·
815 Posts
I agree, I've never liked shading black with grey. It usually doesn't look right to me on anything but edging as potatolegs has done.

The best three ways I've done it is:

1) Gloss coat. The shine will add natural edging to the black.
2) Shade with a color. Dark colors, usually blues, work well for this. The only downside is you run the risk of black turning into blue.
3) Base coat with a dark gray. Wash with black and do some shade layers of black/dark gray. Done well this method looks the best. However it's not easy to get first try out and the results usually look like you're going for dark gray, not black. It takes a few tries to get it dark enough to be black but shaded enough to look like you've got highlights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts