Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I played against an Eldar opponent with my Tyranids and we came to a problem. The Tyranid Shadow in the Warp says for any psyik test you need to roll 3 dice instead of 2 and disregard the lowest.

However, his Farseer had the ability where he rolled 3 dice instead of 2 and disregarded the highest.

After some debate, we agreed upon that he roll 4 dice, and remove the highest and lowest. I wanted to have them just cancel each other out and he'd roll 2 like normal.

I feel got the short end of the stick. Because those two options are not the same. It still favors him. Why? Change it to say that he roll 100 dice and disregard the 49 highest and 49 lowest dice. Well, statistically, you will end up with the average being 7 which easily passes his tests.

Any concrete rulings on how to deal with this?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Both state you roll three dice. They agree there, I have no idea where you are getting this extra dice from. So you discard the highest and the lowest. This leaves you with one dice, which is the amount you get on your psychic test.

I mean, really! They dont say "roll an extra dice and discard the lowest/highest", it says 3 dice! If you already have 3 you dont pull an extra one out of nowhere! It would tell you if you had to add another dice!

·
Registered
258 Posts
In other situations like this (WolfToothNecklace vs. Defend) it is said that you both roll a die and the highest has their power work. This can be found in the FAQ for SpaceWolves. Rolling 3 die and discarding the highest AND lowest will result in passing your test everytime which shouldnt be the case IMO.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Laplace said:
I played against an Eldar opponent with my Tyranids and we came to a problem. The Tyranid Shadow in the Warp says for any psyik test you need to roll 3 dice instead of 2 and disregard the lowest.

However, his Farseer had the ability where he rolled 3 dice instead of 2 and disregarded the highest.

After some debate, we agreed upon that he roll 4 dice, and remove the highest and lowest. I wanted to have them just cancel each other out and he'd roll 2 like normal.

I feel got the short end of the stick. Because those two options are not the same. It still favors him. Why? Change it to say that he roll 100 dice and disregard the 49 highest and 49 lowest dice. Well, statistically, you will end up with the average being 7 which easily passes his tests.

Any concrete rulings on how to deal with this?
Rolling 4 dice and discarding both the highest and lowest definitely favors him. Removing the highest and lowest dice will result in more of a median value which is most likely well within his LD value. You should let the dice decide which power works each time, it's the only fair way to play it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts