Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, these rules have been tested (ask r1p70r he he) basically i am still typing them up but they involve 1 space marine and a maximum of 6 Imperials guardmen and can only be used in a Space marine or Imperial guard armies. ask any question you wont but i will edit this post when i have finished the rules... also for your chance to be in the credits of the rules suggest things to be put in the rules.

ahh crap i named em wrong there supposed to be called Tyranid Tamers

KK i think ive covered all i need to say bye

·
Pure Venom.
1,306 Posts
I have one thing to say...yuck. These rules are painful...sorry dude, but i'd stick to another area of expertise. They are horrifically out of skew and illegal too.

Firstly, your points values - a marine, for 15 points, with WS and BS of 5 and an initiative of 6?! And two wounds?! No, i don't think that's in balance, or fluffy at all - why would a marine who's good at grabbing tyranids be stronger than average. Also, WHAT is up with those guardsmen? They're better in combat than a space marine, and just as strong? Somehow, i don't think so. BS 6 is also illegal in 40k.

Three special weapons is also painfully overpowered. So they can have a carnifex or a hive tyrant in there to provide shooting and combat power, and lay down three plasma gun volleys a turn? No dice. Chuck that rule right out.

A carnifex under their control? For five models? In game terms, the carnifex would chow down on every one of those five models before they could reach for their device, and it would take at least 15 space marines to hold a carnifex down by force. No way.

Charge steal takes away the tyranid's greatest advantage. Combat. Which you don't want to do - word of advice, don't give so many special rules and skills to a unit. It makes the game far too complex and makes the unit too overpowered.

As for the explosive device - large blast. With an AP of 2. Are you insane?! Boom, oh, thats a 140 point unit of warriors dead. Boom, thats a zoanthrope dead. No, no, no. All wrong.

The whole "we move as fast as the nids now" thing - why? WHY? So because they catch some flying warriors they can suddenly fly? It doesn't make any sense. And it's far too overpowered, does this mean that if they get a carnifex and some flying warriors they get a carnifex that can move 12"? I seriously doubt any sane player will let you do that.

Oh, and as for the inherent concept of it, you cut off the hive mind from the tyranids, and you cut off their mind - tyranids have little or no capacity for independent thought, and as such, if you cut off their connection to the hive mind they either fall over and drool, or attack everything in sight due to instinct. Meaning shredded marines, guard, and nids, who have deliberately let them get closer so they can take control of them, but are now regretting that as they are submerged in a sea of blades.

I seriously do not know how you're going to drag these rules back from the brink...but at the moment, and i'm not one for sugar-coating responses here as otherwise nothing gets done about them....these are some of the worst special rules i've encountered. Something must be done.

LoC

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Point one:
I am a new to makin rules so thats why they are of crappy quality

Point two:
Thanks for being less leniant cos thats the only way to learn really. i will get some moddys done to it

Point three:
the imp guard was actually a mistake i dunno how i didnt see it >_>

Point four:
The two wounds was because of the nid mind replicator but i forgot to place in why he has the 2nd wound it will be in it when i update it.

Point five:
'Oh, and as for the inherent concept of it, you cut off the hive mind from the tyranids, and you cut off their mind - tyranids have little or no capacity for independent thought, and as such, if you cut off their connection to the hive mind they either fall over and drool, or attack everything in sight due to instinct. Meaning shredded marines, guard, and nids, who have deliberately let them get closer so they can take control of them, but are now regretting that as they are submerged in a sea of blades.'

Read it again.

Thanks for the comments i will fix it

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
So hang on.. they've invented a device called the Nid Mind Replicator?

Heck.. why don't they invent a device called the 'Necron Resurrection Preventer' while they're at it?

40k isn't Star Trek, the problems of humanity, therefore, cannot be solved by rewiring the quantum flux gigatron processor through the primary diotropic particle acceleration mechanism.

The hive mind is a psychic construct.. How do you build a machine to replicate the effect of a psychic construct big enough to drive the most powerful psykers mad trying to look at it.

·
Pure Venom.
1,306 Posts
The_Giant_Mantis said:
40k isn't Star Trek, the problems of humanity, therefore, cannot be solved by rewiring the quantum flux gigatron processor through the primary diotropic particle acceleration mechanism.
"Like letting the air out of a balloon!"

(if you're a star trek or futurama fan, you should get that!)

LoC

·
301 Posts
Although the idea of enslaving tyranids, is 'unfluffy', I have to say that I like the idea. Mabey it's just cause I like the 'Aliens' universe, where the corperation is hel bent on capturing an alien to use as a bizzare biologiical weapon.

These rules are a little clunky, as pointed out above, So thinking about it for a few minuites, and I came up with this set, hopefully it will help.

Tyranind Tamer Weapons
These weapons can be used by any imperial forces.

Tyranid Contoll unit 3 pts / model
These units are used to contol tyranids that have been implanted with a remote contol module.
Code:
R          S          Ap         Type
36"        -          -            Heavy 1, Control Unit
Control Unit
rather then using the models BS to determin hits, the unit must pass an unmodified Ld check to attempt to contol 1 tyranid that has been implated. The same tyranid can be attempted to be controled by multiple controll units. Control will last for 1 turn.

Controlled units will loose the fleet of foot ability, should they have it, and their attacks charactists will be reduced by 1 (to a minimum of 1).

Psychic Destruption field 25 pts
This is a rare artifact, thought to be creadted of eldar wrathbone, and creates an emence psychic disturbance.

It has the effect of completetly nullifying psychic powersused by any model within 12", reducing the Ld value for psychic tests to 2.
It will also distrupt synapse links. Should any non synapse creature be within 12" of the distruption field, they are counted as being out of synapse range.

Remote Implantation rifle 25 pts
This riffle fires a specially designed remote control unit into the coretx of the tyranid creeature. This control unit incoperates a micro destruption field, that effects the model with the implant only.
Code:
24"        -           -           Heavy 1, Sniper, Implant
Implant
This weapon may only be used against a tyranid creature whos connection to the hive mind has been broken. If the tyranid is sucessfully wounded, the tyranid is not removed from play, but is now concidered to be part of the imperial army for the remainder of the game.

Implanted tyranids will act on instinct as if they were out of synapse range, unless they are contolled.

These rules are a bit clunky too, come to think of it, but I belive it did tone it down a shade.

Discalmer: Use at your own risk, authour is not responsible for broken fingers, severe beatings, loss of limb, life, or the condition known as sausage fingers, yadda yadda yadda...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
daedelus said:
Although the idea of enslaving tyranids, is 'unfluffy', I have to say that I like the idea. Mabey it's just cause I like the 'Aliens' universe, where the corperation is hel bent on capturing an alien to use as a bizzare biologiical weapon.

These rules are a little clunky, as pointed out above, So thinking about it for a few minuites, and I came up with this set, hopefully it will help.

Tyranind Tamer Weapons
These weapons can be used by any imperial forces.

Tyranid Contoll unit 3 pts / model
These units are used to contol tyranids that have been implanted with a remote contol module.
Code:
36"        -          -            Heavy 1, Control Unit
Control Unit
rather then using the models BS to determin hits, the unit must pass an unmodified Ld check to attempt to contol 1 tyranid that has been implated. The same tyranid can be attempted to be controled by multiple controll units. Control will last for 1 turn.

Controlled units will loose the fleet of foot ability, should they have it, and their attacks charactists will be reduced by 1 (to a minimum of 1).

Psychic Destruption field 25 pts
This is a rare artifact, thought to be creadted of eldar wrathbone, and creates an emence psychic disturbance.

It has the effect of completetly nullifying psychic powersused by any model within 12", reducing the Ld value for psychic tests to 2.
It will also distrupt synapse links. Should any non synapse creature be within 12" of the distruption field, they are counted as being out of synapse range.

Remote Implantation rifle 25 pts
This riffle fires a specially designed remote control unit into the coretx of the tyranid creeature. This control unit incoperates a micro destruption field, that effects the model with the implant only.
Code:
24"        -           -           Heavy 1, Sniper, Implant
Implant
This weapon may only be used against a tyranid creature whos connection to the hive mind has been broken. If the tyranid is sucessfully wounded, the tyranid is not removed from play, but is now concidered to be part of the imperial army for the remainder of the game.

Implanted tyranids will act on instinct as if they were out of synapse range, unless they are contolled.

These rules are a bit clunky too, come to think of it, but I belive it did tone it down a shade.

Discalmer: Use at your own risk, authour is not responsible for broken fingers, severe beatings, loss of limb, life, or the condition known as sausage fingers, yadda yadda yadda...

You just saved me a huge job thank you i think ill test em on My mate ...

·
Tyranid Warrior Fanatic
2,668 Posts
Ugh.... All those rules are completely broken and pure cheese... Here's my idea. They are far weaker, but they aren't made of cheese and I think a nid player would consider letting you use these unlike the other stuff. At least with this, we won't see IG stealing our fexes and tyrants like they were nothing.

Control Units: 5pts per model
Range: CC
The unit using these can only make one attack each and cannot use any other weapons when making this attack, so no powerfists or swords or extra attack for charging or having 2 CCW or anything. If the attack hits, wounds, and the nid fails its save, the nid takes an LD check (if it survives). If they fail, its now under Imperial control. It must take a leadership check for this every turn if it passes. After going under Imperial control, the nid must take a moral check at half Ld every turn. If it passes, it permanently reverts back to the nid player's control as the mind controler has overloaded or been damaged. A controled nid has half WS, I, A, and BS, rounded up. This cannot be used on a synapse nid unless its synapse node has been destroyed by the SDR (rules later on.).

Psychic distruption field: 35 pts
Any psychic power used within 12" is done on 3D6, but with no perils of the warp. Continous psychic powers in the range are nullified on a roll of 6+, with the dice rolled at the start of the Imperial turn.

Synapse Destruction Rifle (SDR) (+10 points for any model already with a sniper rifle. Paid in addition to the sniper rifle.)
Range: 24" S: X Ap 6 Heavy 1,Pinning
This is a weapon designed specifically to destroy the master, slave, and independant nodes in Tyranid creatures. This weapon can be used as a normal sniper rifle or as a synapse destruction rifle.

As a SDR, it hits only on a 6 because of the difficulting in aiming for the node and always wounds on a 5+ due to the node being well protected. If it hits, wounds, and the enemy fails its save, then the Tyranid hit (if its not dead) must take Instinctual Behavior rolls each turn. If it fails, remove it as a casulty as it wanders away unthinkingly. If the nid is synapse or fearless, its no longer synapse or fearless, unless its a ripper swarm. The nid can also no longer use any psychic powers. The nids also count as having half Ld when checking for being controled by the nid control devices and cannot leave control of the Imperial player after getting controlled.

The reason the control devices are now CC weapons is because they are delicate pieces of machinery and are difficult to place by shooting. The Psychic distruption field also now works for all psychic powers, not just nid ones. These rules are a lot less cheesy then the other ones, but can still potentially be useful, though not terribly. But then again, we don't want weapons that say "Instantly defeat the enemy if they are Tyranids", do we? (You say yes and my hive fleet will devour you.)

·
301 Posts
I like that set much more. definatly tones down the cheese ( Limburger-> Mild cheadar)

One thing that I was thinkg about the PDF, after I wrote that rule set, is that It should be limited to be 1 per army, that would stem the cheese a bit on my set(Limburger -> aged cheadar) , but I don't know quite what the effect would be on yours(Mild cheadar -> Motzerella?), as the cheese has already been toned down a quite a bit through your rewrite.

Also a nice mechanic from the original set, was the explosive charge that's placed on the Nid in question. I left it out of my set, but with the need for CC to attach the controling mechanism, a small explosive device could theoryeticly be included in the control unit. Something like:
Code:
S          AP          Type
4           -            Blast
That will only go off if the nid is killed. this might stinky that cheese up a bit though.

Anyway, would be interesting to see how these diffrent sets go through playtests.

·
Pure Venom.
1,306 Posts
I do agree that those above rules are a lot better and more balanced, although the sniper rules are a bit confusing, but still, they seem to work. The only criticism i'd have for them is that they're a little long-winded, what with the hits, wounds and saves and everything - maybe just take it to a d6 roll of a 6 or a LD test or something. I dunno, think about it as you see fit.

As for the justifications behind the first set - i get the feeling you know a nid player? And he beats you all the time?

LoC

·
Tyranid Warrior Fanatic
2,668 Posts
I know its a bit long-winded, but when you think about it in order to control the nid you need to hit it, then get it through the carapace/armor/whatever. Thats why you need a successful wound. And I'll agree the sniper is a bit complex. Pretty much it can be used as a normal sniper rifle or it can use the special rules which make it hit on a 6, wound on a 5+, but a successful wound pretty much takes out the nid. (I forgot to add that the nid is no longer affected by synapse, also....)

As for the explosive, its an interesting concept, but it would make the control device more fragile and complex, niether of which is a good thing. Its best to not have it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lordofchange said:
I do agree that those above rules are a lot better and more balanced, although the sniper rules are a bit confusing, but still, they seem to work. The only criticism i'd have for them is that they're a little long-winded, what with the hits, wounds and saves and everything - maybe just take it to a d6 roll of a 6 or a LD test or something. I dunno, think about it as you see fit.

As for the justifications behind the first set - i get the feeling you know a nid player? And he beats you all the time?

LoC
He doesnt actually beat me that often, but he still does win some matches (we are talkin about R1P70R here btw

·
Pure Venom.
1,306 Posts
Hmm. What's that smell? Smells like...*gasp* a thread back from the grave, thanks to the hellish powers of necro-posting! And it wasn't really very good in the first place! It was dead for a reason - bad quality and lack of interest. Not so you can come back months later to resurrect it because, of course, it's the best piece of rules development ever.
*Grabs the mod-chainsaw*

All that aside...don't do this again. Or bad things will ensue.

*LOCKED*

LoC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.