1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tyranid Army List 1500pts
HQ
Description
BIOMORPHS: Winged, Synapse Creature, The Horror, Warp Field, Two sets Scything Talons, Acid Maw, Implant Attack, Toxin Sacs, Adrenals, [WS] Adrenals, Flesh Hooks.
Broodlord
BIOMORPHS: Acid Maw, Adrenals. RETINUE: 6 Genestealers, Scything Talons
Troops

Termagant Brood
QUANTITY=9.
Termagant Brood
QUANTITY=9.
Termagant Brood
QUANTITY=9.
Termagant Brood
QUANTITY=9.

Elites

Hive Gladiator
Carnifex. BIOMORPHS: Dual Scything Talons, Mace Tail, [WS] Adrenals, Flesh Hooks.

Fast Attack

Ravener Brood
QUANTITY=4. BIOMORPHS: Rending Claws and Scything Talons.
Ravener Brood
QUANTITY=4. BIOMORPHS: Rending Claws and Scything Talons.

Heavy Support

Hive Demolisher
Carnifex. BIOMORPHS: Dual Scything Talons, Extended Carapace, Toxin Sacs, Tusks, [WS] Adrenals, Mace Tail, I Adrenals.
Hive Demolisher
Carnifex. BIOMORPHS: Dual Scything Talons, Extended Carapace, Toxin Sacs, Tusks, [WS] Adrenals, Mace Tail, I Adrenals.
Zoanthrope Brood
QUANTITY=2. BIOMORPHS: Toxic Miasma, Warp Field, Psychic Scream, Synapse Creature

The general strategy for this army is that it is divided up into two elements; the mobile element and the main assault, as I call it.

The mobile element, consisting of the Ravener Broods and the Hive Tyrant deploy on one side, a side where it appears the enemy will be less shooting-heavy. Raveners deploy in as much cover and obscurement as possible. At Turn 1 they move foward; if the enemy is close I will go for a Turn 1 assault with them, if not they will move to an area of terrain that will give them most protection from shooting. The Hive Tyrant follows and gives them synapse. Either in Turn 1 or Turn 2 they assault the enemy flank and with their concentrated close-combat pwning ability, they destroy their target units and consoildate to nearby units, crushing the enemy flank. From here they continue moving across the enemy lines until either they, or the enemy, are dead.

The main assault consists of everything else. The Carnifexes are at the forefront while the Broodlord+retinue hide behind them in order to remain obscured from enemy shooters. The Gaunts are there to add the extra meat necessary in a Tyranid Army, while the Zoanthropes keep the Gaunts in line as well as attempting to do the opposite to the enemy using Psychic Scream. This element moves toward the other flank, and, in coordination with the mobile element, crushes it in the unstoppable assault.

Obviously this is designed mostly for a gunline/assault-wave army. Not entirely sure how it would work against a mechanised/air cavalry army as I have never played against such a force, but with the Hive Tyrant and all that rending, I think I could devise a strategy to use with this force that would work, after a few games with a mech army.

Questions? Comments? Angry rebuttals?

EDIT: Sorry about the general format of the list taking up so much space; I copied it straight from a Word Table. I hope it isn't too much of a problem.

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
My main issue with the army, before I go through any kind of extensive list dissection, b/c there are a number of situations with wasted points on useless biomorphs, too few force deployments where there could or should be more (like why on Earth you are putting 8 raveners into 2 deployments instead of 3), but the main issue before anything else is that your army is too slow.

None of your Carnifexes or Zoanthropes are early threats. They can be ignored. The Tyrant and Raveners are fastest, the termagants a minor issue b/c there aren't many and there are only 4 squads of them. An intelligent gunline opponent will plow every bullet into the Tyrant ASAP. He'll then move to the raveners and/or the termagants, and then he'll move to the fexes. If you're lucky, a fex or two might make it to him by turn 5 or 6 in assault, and not make its points back or even close to it.

In "casual" games you might find opponents dumb enough to let the fexes and such into combat early, or dumb enough to waste shots on the slow targets like the fexes first, or who knows what, but in tourney style play you'll be torn up several ways from sunday. The broodlord is also mega slow and easy to kill, btw. No fleet, pricey, weak armor save target.

Also, although there are a lot of things I could harp on and won't for now, Implant Attack does not double wounds caused, it only doubles unsaved wounds to the single target that failed each wound. Multi-wound models are not exactly that prevalent, and the Tyrant does a fair bit of hurt on his own ... so the implant attack is probably rather wasted.

Why on Earth are you buying Adrenal(I) for a Broodlord?
Zoanthrope psychic scream is rather wasted w/out things like barbed stranglers and shooting attacks ... you're only going to get much use out of it later in the game, and even then probably not all that much ... if you're winning CC with multiple 10-count MC's, you probably don't need more negative modifiers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.