Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm, I just bought some Tyranids yesterday, including a starter pack, 1 Hive Tyrant, 1 Old one eye (TOOOOOOOOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, 2+ sv with D6+2 attacks when charging and REGENERATE!!! WHEEEE :lol: ), 1 Red terror, 2 biovores, 2 spore mines, 3 Guards, 3 Lictors, 3 Zoanthropes, 2 Genestealer packs and a Homogaunt pack... though it costed a fortune... ;)

Anyway, I'm new with Tyranids, played Eldar and BA b4... anyone have some tips? What I can read from my codex, they have mutants?! but how do I represent them? Also, the different outlooks of weapons makes my head hurt... anyone want to tell me what they all are?

·
Lurking in the dark
549 Posts
well, first of all, you can never field Old One Eye, and The Red Terror in the same game, as Ooe is up to 1500pts and Trt is >1500pts, and trust me. Trt is better than regenerate...swallow anyone? ;)

Second, are you freking made of money?

Third, you need waaaaay more gaunts. I have a basic army, and I have 6 Gaunt packs :D
And try looking in the codex for weapon descriptions, on the Eavy metal pages. but here's a starter: The std weapon you most often see on Termagants, is the fleshborer. When they have two separet hands, clenched sorta like a fist, it's the spinefists, and the weird...fleshlump-cone-thingy is the devourer (very handy).The two big guns that come with the Monstrous creature sprue: the one with the long razorlike blade at the tip, that's the venom cannon, the other is the barbed strangler. did I forget any weapons? Probably, but you'll have to dig 'em up yourself :)

Lastly, the mutants, and Mutable genus (Two different things) are what makes the Tyranids so fun to play. No to Termagant broods need be the same. Look at the last few pages of the 'dex for details on what goodies you can play with. Just remember, that you have to represent all mutations and Biomorphs on the models. Fortunately, on the gaunt sprues, there's several ready made for ya. The tiny droplets, that's venom sacks, for added strength, the small plates are extended carapace, for better armour saves, and the...spider-look-like-it-thingy is an adrenal gland, for better initiative of weapon strength (If you have both morphs, you only need one adrenal gland)

ack! Writers cramp. well, hope it helps. See y'all in about 2 weeks (Off to Ekofisk Bravo)

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
<smart alec mode on>
Actually, you can fiel both OOE and RT:
OOE is "1500 or less", RT is legal in "at least 1500 pts" games - so if you manage it to field exactly 1500pts, then you may have both.
<smart alec mode off>
;)

jwu

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Huh? My post disappeared? Anyway... u play Nids urself? I'm thinking about my gaunts... what's the best choice?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Hormagaunts and Scythegaunts.
Scythies are mutable gaunts, armed with a set of scything talons, 6pts each. These are definitely the most efficient gaunt species - they achieve by numbers what other upgraded gaunts would achieve by quality.
Basically they have the same punch as upgraded gaunts, but also more wounds on the table (and they look scarier)

jwu

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm, yeah, I just read that... one question: Is a battle limited to amount of troops?! Or can u go with for instance 166 scythegaunts in a 1k pts army?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
You have to field one HQ in addition to the troops, so 166 won't be possible. 140 should fit into 1000pts though, plus a hive tyrant.

Such an army will be considered as boring and eventually beardy though.

jwu

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you want mass troops, take 3 basic warriors as HQ. Also, don't underestimate the usefulness of basic gaunts with spinefists and nothing else (at 5 points each, how can you go wrong!). I also like gargoyles alot, they're fast and not many points, plus they shoot and have 2 attacks in HtH (one at Initiative 8!). A unit or two of 6 genestealers would also be tempting to add into the army, just because they might get ignored long enough to trash some people!

·
Registered
41 Posts
GOOO FIREHAWK!!!
Gaunts with spinefists are versatile and aweosme. I call them "Spinegaunts". They are good at close combat and also have assault weapons. And the points i thought were 6 each...but nayways you cant go wrong at all with those backing up Hormagaunts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ok your right it is 5 points each. Sometimes though I throw in leaping so they can get into close combat a lot quicker. Spinefists look a lot cooler then fleshborers thats for sure!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Just a note: The most efficient basic gaunt is a scythegaunt, 6pts each. Most opponents won't mind if you use spinegaunt models for them, since the spinefists look like a pair of pistols, which could also display a set of melee weapons, similar to the impact hammer from Unreal Tournament.

In my experience the spinefists are rarely used. Since they have a range of only 12", you have severe problems with the enemy's rapid fire or even charge range.
There are two cases in which you can use them:
The spinegaunts are 13"-18" away. They move into spinefist range (no FoC possible, since they want to shoot), then they find themselves within 7"-12" from the enemy. They shoot and kill some opponents, but they cannot charge. Next turn, the opponent can rapid fire into them, or charge them if he shoots only once. He gains a charge bonus attack, you lose it.

The only way to shoot and assault is to have been within 12" from the opponent before you move - but then he will already have done what i descriped above, so this won't happen.

So Spinefists are useless in most cases. I'd rather spend one extra point per gaunt for a second attack which can always be used while it's in close combat - i did the math, a scythegaunt is more effecient against almost all opponents, even with its slightly higher cost. Only a wych squad should better be dealt with with spinegaunts.

jwu

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by ArchonAstaroth@Apr 10 2003, 11:28
In my experience the spinefists are rarely used. Since they have a range of only 12", you have severe problems with the enemy's rapid fire or even charge range.
That's absolutely correct...

Most nids players usually hide in cover until assaulting, and in HTH u don't need wpns... nids shouldn't use wpns, (we're frenzy slimy monsters with abnormal hands sticking out like knives and broadswords... ;))

I would really recommend scythes and fleshborer (since the scythes are lacking in the box)...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Firehawk...actually I havent even seen the seedign swarm list yet. Im behind and have not been out to by the new chapter approved. I hear a lot of good things about it though soi will definatley check it out this weekend or next. Hell I havent even read my old one with monster creation in it yet. (mostly because i have nno good ideas [oh except this infested marine i made like from starcraft])

And what is a scythegaunt? i imagine a termagaunt model with talons inmstead of fleshborers? you see i dont have tons of pairs of talons lying around and the ones i use are for my hormagaunts. Hence why i use Spinefists to "support" my hormagaunts and fire at enemy line right before they charge in. Although i am intrigued by your scythegaunt idea...tell me more!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Scythegaunt= Mutable Gaunt with scything talons, nothing else. 6pts each.
For only one point more than a spinegaunt you get almost twice the attacks in close combat. This species will - in average and at equal points - win against marines. Even after it suffered some casualties to bolter fire and there are finally less points of gaunts in that close combat than marines.

My opponents don't mind when i use spinegaunts to display scythegaunts, since spinefists look like a pair of pistols. I declare them to be a kind of injectors, for use in melee only, and everyone is satisfied.

jwu

·
Registered
41 Posts
well if it works for you then it works for me. I just hate all those extre gaunts lying around doing nothing. They should make a box of 16 hormagaunt blisters instead of half and half.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
You could order the sprues as bits at the mailorder - this way 16 hormas are only slightly more expensive than a box of 8 hormas and 8 termas, assuming that you order enough stuff in order not to pay the shipping.

jwu

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by ArchonAstaroth@Apr 11 2003, 16:25
My opponents don't mind when i use spinegaunts to display scythegaunts, since spinefists look like a pair of pistols. I declare them to be a kind of injectors, for use in melee only, and everyone is satisfied.
Lol... injectors... (but not so deadly I'd say..)

Concerning the sprues.. I can't figure out why they're selling 8/8/1 either.. I rarely uses hormagaunts.. and in that case with fleshborers and as a screening to my genestealers and scythgaunts..

I have a question though: Do you find hard times fighting troops with lascannon/melta/plasma wpns? They tend to kill tyrants and carnies only in a few shots... ;( Any suggestions how I can keep them for longer? (Except for hiding in cover?)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.