Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This really hurted me last time I played with a friend...

anyway.. I had a carnifex carrying a barbed strangler, mutable size, spasms, so he had a S10 Ap 3 wpn...

I was facing an Eldar Biel tan howling banshee squad of 8 ppl, and beside them I had my 32 scything gaunts rdy for charge... so I first fired with my ord. wpn, but I had in mind the ord wpn didn't scattered, isn't that correct? but since my friend claimed it scattered, by entirely gaunt squad nearly died when the big blast marker rained on their heads... ;(

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more question: When I read the WD number 250 or something, I found out that nids could have special troops which costed like 200-500 pts, aka huge monsters, who could work as transport.. anyone knows how u can use them?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One further question: The spore mines, can the enemies assault them? (don't ask me why they would...) Also, can those spore mines die when failing difficult terrain test forced by the scatter move in the beginning of each turn? Concerning LOS, can spore mines block LOS for my genestealers/gaunts/other small bugs? that would be really awesome... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
There is no way that a carnifex can have a S10 AP3 weapon. You cheated.
A barbed strangler on a carnifex cannot be anything else than S7 or S8 without any AP. A venom cannon is S10, but only AP4 and no blast. Read the rules, for god's sake!

However...a barbed strangler doesn't scatter, so it cannot scatter onto your gaunts. But since you obviously don't play by the rules (we told you more than once that a strangler cannot be S10), why should your friend follow them?

Concerning the spores: There is no definite ruling about this. But since they cannot be used for crossfire and they don't prevent regriuping of a falling back unit within 6", i'd also say that your opponent cannot charge them. That's not written anywhere though.
There is no rule at all that says that spores are affected by difficult terrain at all - so they're immune to any rolls concerning diff terrain.

No, spores cannot block LOS. There is nothing which can block LOS to tyranids except terrain, vehicles and close combats, because of the "shoot the big ones rule". Even a carnifex cannot block LOS to a tiny ripper swarm.

You can easily edit your posts, there is a button next to every one of your posts.

jwu

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why can't a carnifex have a S10 AP 3 wpn?

a venom cannon + spasm makes it..

it can even have a S10 AP6 Ord. wpn (with normal upgrades+exceptional size+spasm)

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Yes, a venom cannon is S10 - but in your post you talked about a barbed strangler and a ordnance template.
And what is "spasm"? It's not in the codex. As far as i know there is no upgrade which improves the AP of a bioweapon. A venom cannon is AP4.

Concerning the S10 strangler: You cannot modify a part of the statline over 10. You'd need a S12 carnifex for a S10 strangler. But there is no way to have such a carnifex. A barbed strangler cannot be stronger than 8.

jwu

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Spasm is listed in a WD chapter approved... can't give it out though... =P

Anyway, it lowers Ap by 1 and increases S by 1 for an amount of pts..

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Unless it's a "recommended" rule, it requires the opponent's permission.

BBB page 38: "All characteristics are measured on a scale of 0 to 10"
That's the range of possible characteristics. You cannot leave it. Even upgrades count towards this, e.g. a certain Khorne Lord cannot have more than 10 attacks, even though it technically could be upgraded to 12 attacks.
So even if you may use it without any permission, you cannot have a better strangler than S9.

In which WD issue can this rule be found?

jwu

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Wait a sec...i found it. It's a weapon upgrade from the CDR rules - these can be used to create BIOTITANS, and only biotitans may use these weapon upgrades. A carnifex is a normal monstrous creature, it may not have this upgrade, and the CDR rules definitely require the opponent's permission.
However, that CDR weapon upgrade which improves a weapon's stats is called "massive", not "spasm".

Exceptional size can improve both S and T. But since the S is limited to 10 (as proved above), it doesn't improve a carnifex' strenght. All that you get for a carnifex is a T+1 boost for huge 70pts.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Biotitans are really huge bugs - next to a biotitan a carnifex looks like a warrior would look next to a carnifex. A single biotitan can easily reach 500pts. They have mass points and such things, and they're really hard as nails, they also deal out tremendous damage. But they're a point sink and have a "please shoot me" sign on their forehead.

Check http://forgeworld.games-workshop.com/fw_hierodule.asp

jwu

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow... kewl..

So where can u order these?

About mass points, I didn't really get it... what does it do?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Many of those things (nearly all actually) aren't produced, I think they want to encourage ppl to do conversions. The whole point of VDR and TGC was that players could make the vehicle/creature as they saw fit, converting the whole thing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.