Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What works against these uber-marines? I was playing against an army the other day with my Twilight Marauders chapter of Space Marines (based on Ultramarines), and basically did some damage but lost.

What is an effective Tyranid counter to use against these guys when I eventually fight them with my Tyranids?

·
Registered
163 Posts
i play agaisnt GK fairly offten now my friend has the codex and he is alot better player then i am and the battles are always close i lost by less then 2% victory points lsat time... they are too few in numbers you just have to write a well rounded army.

and bivores with bioacid.

XG

·
Registered
163 Posts
i played last night and i had a dreadnought lay one of my zoanthropes out each turn with a twin link lazcannon. i hit it with a spore rolled box cars and droped the bitch. it was a long shot but worth it. i played a game against raven wing ring before and i missed with every warpblast shot for 6 turns. thats 18 shots.

XG

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've played against grey knights a couple of times and I've had my ass kicked each time.

My experience is that CC isn't all that good against grey knights because they, at least when I play against them, pack a buttload of powerweapons.

That puts one in a dilemma. Cause' you can't just fly up to the armour and crack it open with your hive tyrant. Unless you want your hive tyrant to be charged by all the grey knights who's waiting for you in the nearby transport...

Next time I play against grey knights, (or anything else that sits in a transport waiting to get a swing at you with its powertool), I plan on taking a brood of zoans, two carnies with stranglers, a tyrant with a VC and warpblast and as many genestealers as possible and then shot the crap out of the armour and then when the troops, hopefully, run to engage my artillery I'll ambush them with my genestealers which of course have been hiding in/behind cover...

·
Registered
574 Posts
I play tyranids and daemonhunters. A few days ago my friend borrowed my nids i thought that a squad of grey knights should beat gaunts fairly easily with their superior Ws S T and save but they had so many attacks that i couldn't save them all.
Just take loads of gaunts. If you take anything big watch out for a Grand master. I shredded 3 Carnifexes with 1gm.

but still
NOBODY (NOTHING) CAN ESCAPE THE SCRUTINY OF THE INQUISITION!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I would think strangler would be pretty bad against an army of 3+ saves. Its almost a waste of time.

Vs Grey Knights I would take tons of Gaunts. My gaunts all have Implant Attack.

I also would take Lictors.

·
Registered
67 Posts
How would a strangler be bad??? Nidz have nothing that can beat 3+ exept monstrousities and rending claws...

I play my strangler armed carnies like you play the gaunts... I try to hit as many as possible... Hope they fail their armour save... And then get them instantly chilled :D
check out my armylists and you'll get my point, hopefully...

I would only use lictors in cityfight or bunker assault.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Well with a Venom Cannon you can shoot at a higher range (12" more). And you get 2 shots. So you can use it on the vehicles more.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Maybe... But, with the strangler you get penetrating hits...

Besides if our enemy clusters he'll get a nasty surprise when/if he gets hit by multiple stranglers. (armour save or not) ^_^

·
Registered
175 Posts
Don't you mean, MIGHT get penetrating hits?

AV 10 - BS does nothing on 1, glances on a 2, penetrates on a 3+
AV 11 - BS does nothing on a 1 or 2, glances on a 3, penetrates on a 4+

VC Automatically glances both of those (on a st10 carni) and gts more shots at a greater range. And on an AV 14?, neither one is gonna penetrate, so you may as well get the better chance to glance the vehicle. If you are ONLY going against AV10 open top vehicles, I would reccomend the Barbed Strangler. However, vs Space Marines, the higher strength and range of the VC will be a deciding factor.

Keep in mind that you just need to stall his vehicles until your rending claws or TMC's can catch up with it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, I'm not much of a statistics guy. But I figure that if i do get a transport destroyed then I have an exellent marine killer in the barbed strangler...

+ as mentioned you'll be able to hit troops covering behind the armour.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Its not really an excellent marine killer. Its a 50% chance of landing (remember Carnis have BS 3) and you only get one shot.

Also remember - range is 24". So even in ideal circumstances, you are probably only 1 turn from CC before you get to use it at all.

Take VC with an effective range of 42" and Str 10 2 shots. AP 4 means you can hit not space marines and obliterate them, even things with T5 and 2 wounds. Also, having 2 shots instead of one gives you an edge - 50% to hit and 2 shots means you have a 75% chance of hitting at least once a round - and the only reason you want a ranged weapon on a 'fex anyway is to give it something to do until it can close in CC.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Okay <_< I guess you've got a point. I'll report this right away to the hive mind in order to produce new carnifex genom...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Anyone thought of a devourer for a carnifex??????!!!!!!!!!

4 S9 shots at range 12 ( Bugger) but hey it's perfect for seeding swarm.

Hell those little black worms can penetrate even a landraider, better than a Venom Cannon thats for sure. :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.