Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
391 Posts
Tenderiser. End of story no way to really argue against it =). Tyrants pretty much require the tenderiser. It just eats whatever you swing it at.

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
not necessarily. Great weapon is a good option as well. Most lists incorporate MSU style of play and 3 butchers. I've seen lists that are effective with each butcher having a magic weapon. Thus, you have 4 unit characters that are all effective munchers of men. Tyrant has 6 attacks or something hideous, with a grt wpn, as long as you hit with 4 of those, you're going to kill it. The only place the tenderizer helps is against a large, multi-wound beast (ie. dragon or treeman) or well protected character (multiple ward, regen, armor save) against core or regular troops, the great weapon is just as effective and leaves lots more points for big names or other magic items.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Tenderizer is the usually the way to go. I disagree that it's wasted on RnF troops because it's wound multipling effects almost guarantee max overkill when used in a challenge. This means that unless there is a BSB in the unit the Tyrant could possibly win a combat against a unit with bull combat bonuses without any support. I suppose a crafty opponet would ecline the challenge but it's been my experience that most people don't.

If you are a rare person that brings a giant Brace of Handguns and Giantbreaker is a decent combo.

Or a vanilla GW is nice too.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Use the seige braker the look of horror as a dwarf lord compares there initive to your weap skill, and +3 strength LOL also fun against the panzer armys as it auto hits the stanks/screambells/black coaches or anything without a ws(i think long time no use).

·
Registered
246 Posts
Use the seige braker the look of horror as a dwarf lord compares there initive to your weap skill, and +3 strength LOL also fun against the panzer armys as it auto hits the stanks/screambells/black coaches or anything without a ws(i think long time no use).
This probably isn't the tyrant's best choice in a take all comers list. Aside from +3 str your not getting much against most armies.

It's a great choice for a Warrior Butcher as it's the only way to get hm to str 7 and is one of the only magic weapons worth giving him.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys
i was also wondering what about a tenderizer and a cathayan long sword combo. if this is a good idea or not

sorry to be annoying but i am just starting.

P.S. i will be playing Vampire counts and Brettonians

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
Tenderizer is the usually the way to go. I disagree that it's wasted on RnF troops because it's wound multipling effects almost guarantee max overkill when used in a challenge. This means that unless there is a BSB in the unit the Tyrant could possibly win a combat against a unit with bull combat bonuses without any support. I suppose a crafty opponet would ecline the challenge but it's been my experience that most people don't.

If you are a rare person that brings a giant Brace of Handguns and Giantbreaker is a decent combo.

Or a vanilla GW is nice too.
Only someone who didn't know the rules would play that way. If you play people who generally know what they're doing, then they will not take the challenge, knowing that you're going to smack them. Now it can be useful against multi-wound units like treekin and minotaurs, but VC and Brets don't have any of those.

if you take a magic weapon, you have to use it. So that's a bad idea. You could take the longsword and the heavy weapon and choose, but usually I don't have the extra points to just sling a bunch of weapons around. for brets, you might as well take the great weapon to steal armor saves. Most VC, the tenderizer would be better.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Only someone who didn't know the rules would play that way. If you play people who generally know what they're doing, then they will not take the challenge, knowing that you're going to smack them. Now it can be useful against multi-wound units like treekin and minotaurs, but VC and Brets don't have any of those.

if you take a magic weapon, you have to use it. So that's a bad idea. You could take the longsword and the heavy weapon and choose, but usually I don't have the extra points to just sling a bunch of weapons around. for brets, you might as well take the great weapon to steal armor saves. Most VC, the tenderizer would be better.
VC don't have any multiwounds? I bet the spirit hosts would like to know that. Also if Bret's refuse a challenge they loose their WS. Never met a Bret player that lets that happen. Also in my group we have several people that usually finish in the top 15 @ Grand Tournaments.

GW is better in all but a few situations. Check this out...
Avian - Ogre Weapon Options

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
VC don't have any multiwounds? I bet the spirit hosts would like to know that. Also if Bret's refuse a challenge they loose their WS. Never met a Bret player that lets that happen. Also in my group we have several people that usually finish in the top 15 @ Grand Tournaments.

GW is better in all but a few situations. Check this out...
Avian - Ogre Weapon Options
well, you're right. It would be good against spirit hosts. I forgot about them since all the VC players stopped playing that army waiting for the new book to come out. 5+ ward isn't that great, I would still reject the challenge unless I had a character built for it in the unit. With that many lances going against a unit of ogres, you've got a good chance of breaking the ogre unit even if the tyrant does 4 wounds (average). Brets get a banner, outnumber and should kill every other ogre who could have struck back, the tyrant will beat down a few knights but should still lose by 4-5 giving him a poor chance on the break test (impossible for the way I roll)

I think the tenderizer is a great weapon :), but there are times when the regular great weapon will do about the same and it allows you to kit your tyrant out differently than everyother ogre player.

·
391 Posts
Thanks guys
i was also wondering what about a tenderizer and a cathayan long sword combo. if this is a good idea or not

sorry to be annoying but i am just starting.

P.S. i will be playing Vampire counts and Brettonians

if you have a magic weapon you are required to use it im afraid.

Brace of handguns ftw. "Im charging your tyrant with my shaggoth" "O yea well stand and shoot."

·
Registered
246 Posts
if you have a magic weapon you are required to use it im afraid.

Brace of handguns ftw. "Im charging your tyrant with my shaggoth" "O yea well stand and shoot."
I would say your first problem is being charged by a shagoth. Also if your metagaming against the shagoth you can easily give him the big name that doubles wounds on large targets. This would give you a monster eater and a unit killer.
Just thought of that combo. I may be taking it to my next tourney and givng a BSB the Tenderizer. Problem with it would be the BSB being too fragile (I hate giving up those extra points). I usually like to give him a WSave of some type. Hmmm. Not sure what to do. I will have to think about it.:?

·
391 Posts
naw meta gaming sucks. my tyrant always comes kitted with brace of handguns for those situations were i cant charge but can still pew pew something. Also i have the firm beleif that if you need to build lists kitted to fight a particular army (certain exceptions appy such as a friendly game were you both decide to do it) its to make up for lack of ability to handle an all comers.

o and shaggoth died from the handguns (1 wound desperation charge). Leadbelchers shot the piss right out of him the turn before.

point still stands i support brace of handguns if you take a tyrant (i only do in a 3000 point game. less then that its Skrag all the way)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey Kbolster12345 Umm sorry but you can't give your bsb the tenderiser, as it is TWO HANDED and you can't use two handed weapons with bsb.

How else will he hold the banner up? He has only two hands...lol :?

·
übertyrant
332 Posts
Hey Kbolster12345 Umm sorry but you can't give your bsb the tenderiser, as it is TWO HANDED and you can't use two handed weapons with bsb.

You can give the bsb a tenderiser; there is no restriction on which magic weapons a bsb can use (although it has to be within the points limit).

There's also an exception on this in the high elf rulebook; a high elf bsb can take a mundane great weapon. So if a pansy elf can do it, an ogre bsb can surely carry a tenderiser :rofl

·
Registered
222 Posts
i prefer to put this, on my bruiser, make my oppennat really scared.

plus allows for your tyrant with tenderiser, to get mass kills with a challenege if necessary.

·
481 Posts
You shouldn't be using rules from the High Elf book if your not using that army Arisen Devil. The High Elf book is a new book, and seem to by pass the normal rules for bsb's, there is no such ruling that lets bsb's in ogre kingdom armies that let you take a great weapon. If you can't take a mundane version of the weapon then you can't take the magical version of it either. So since a bruiser bsb can't take a mundane great weapon, he can't take a magical great weapon either.

·
übertyrant
332 Posts
If you can't take a mundane version of the weapon then you can't take the magical version of it either. So since a bruiser bsb can't take a mundane great weapon, he can't take a magical great weapon either.
I would like to know where you found this rule ;)

I know this is possible since I can e.g. give my bretonnian bsb a magical lance, even though he can't take a mundane one, and it's still legal.:happy:

I know I shouldn't have given an army-specific exception, but I thought the meaning would be clear

·
391 Posts
page 69 of the Ok book states that a bruiser carrying a standard cannot choose any extra weapons or take an ironfist.

as long as he doesnt take a magic standard he may still choose from the magic item and bigname list

·
Registered
246 Posts

I have seen many BSB modled with the banner strapped on his back. At any rate there's not restrictions on the type of magical weapons he can take.

mixing reality and game play is risky bussiness. There are plenty of examples of how reality and the game don't jive. Take for instance the rules for wheeling.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.