Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, soon it's time for me to expand my Thousand Sons army yet again. This time it's the elite's section that will grow.
The trouble is I know not wether to make my one-wounders Chosen or Possessed.
They share a few things, the high points, the vulnerability and the nice hand to hand fightning-skill. Oh, and they are all psychers, but this I hope you know.

The reason for this is the Landraider that will be arriving soon. Such an expensive behemoth demands a unit like this I feel but I cannot make my mind up.
To give you some sort of a context this is, roughly, what I have.

A handfull of HQ choices, Lords, Lt's a Statured one and some Chosen of Ahriman.

Elites are my Possessed with wings (a tad on the expensive side I might say:rolleyes: ) and a unit of Rubrik Terminators.

Troops 3 Units of Sons, Rhinos, a unit of flamers ( and horrors enough to make two sacred squads of horrors/ Flamers, but I rarely use them I admit)

Fast Attack... nope, I still must muster cohones to pay £54 for a unit of screamers. 135 points that is.

Heavy support
3 dreads, defiler and a predator.

Now, the Chosen seems to be a given choice due to the temptation of vet.skills (I think/hope F.charge could add some survivability in CC) and the plentyfull powerweapons/fists.
The Possessed are cheaper though for what you get, the inv.save and all. I was thinking about the talons, visage or no upgrade at all.

Please friends, guide me...

·
Registered
272 Posts
If I'm not mistaken thralls count toward your happy number. So while I wouldn't want nine chosen that only have one wound, but why not take 4 terminators or power armoured chosen with bolt or winds of chaos, for a havoc squad type of deal, and then 5 thralls to absorb hits and in a pinch sac em for extra shots.

·
Pure Venom.
1,306 Posts
You also must remember that basic chosen cannot take thralls - only aspiring champions can, as they are gifts of the gods - same with bolt of change.

As for your options with elites, if i'm feeling zesty and have a land raider, i normally take some chosen terminators and terminator champions, all nicely tooled up. I've seen various different types - it can be nice to use the land raider's transport ability and sheer resilience to dump them out, blast them with the heavy bolters on the raider, and then lay some wind of chaos templates followed by a devastating charge. I'd go with power fists on the chosen instead of the chosen ACs, seeing as it's ten points less to give them a fist, and dispense with the combi-bolters in favour of an additional close combat weapon, for more attacks - after all, they have psychic powers to give them ranged power. Basic chosen terminators already come with a power weapon, so swap their combi-bolters for power fists and then put them in the land raider, drive up to your enemies' most expensive squad, hose it down with wind of chaos, and then...CHARGE! I've seen horrifically tough enemies go down to this, due to the striking power of wind of chaos, able to wound anything (i've knocked out wraithlords and avatars with it). If you really want to give them some more punch, give the aspiring champions daemonic strength- that way you have strength 5 power weapon attacks plus the power fists of the basic chosen - a force the hardiest foe will not be able to stand up to.

LoC

·
Registered
622 Posts
Build them cunningly, so that they can be chosen or possessed, the use whichever one is right for the battle.

I myself have some converted SM who can be chosen with DArmour, DAura, DEssence, DFire, DFlight, DMut, DRes, DSpeed, DStr, or DVisage, Possessed with Flight, Fire, Visage or Mutation, normal CSM, or Raptors.

And they look pretty good, and were great fun to build!

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,
I'm looking for a powerarmour set-up. I know the termies are the cheapest way to get them powerweps and all, but I'll have them in pow.arm. non the less.
I've been thinking about making them like you both, Lord and Tunisia, said but I'mleaning more and more towards this layout:

If chosen, they'll be very individual. A handful of champs, (I'm thinking 3 champs, 3 only sorcerers, maybe a melta or two, and three redshirts. Some servoskulls hovering around and maybe a thrall or even a hound (or counts as hound small daemon/trapped space wolf)

If Possessed they'll be maybe three sorcerers one champ and the rest redshirts in a kind of mummyfied state, arms and heads wrapped all "nonchamps" will carry swords from the Cascet of souls guards.

I know they'll be expensive beyond their worth, but they'll be a nice attachment to the force.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Side note, although i do like the screamer models have you ever thought of converting your own? It could be a really nice side conversion project that could prove very satisfying in the long run regardless of cost. Right now only thing that comes to mind is bitz ordering the tzeentch disks from fantasy and converting them with flamers and such with green stuff.

Only reason i brign this up is i have my possessed (total cost $20 a piece...ouch) which i put together very slowly. 5 are done and i'm finishing my last 5 in a few months. I love the models and worked really hard on them, others players love them (and shoot them to pieces). Could be a nice side project for you.

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love the models and worked really hard on them, others players love them (and shoot them to pieces).
I know the feeling, I have a unit of flying possessed and they share the same destiny and love.
I've tried to convert sceramers, or sculpt them is more like it, but that project dragged on foerever and is now put on hold. I'll remember the disc-idea though, that could speed things up a bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts