Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me.... i have just bought all the rulebooks + Codex n stuff, and i want to collect Eldar Ulthwe, but ppl have said that a Strike force and an army are different. Is it true that you cant have a Fire Prism in a strike force? if the choice on a strike force army list is limited, what are the advantages of a Strike force?

thx 4 any advice plus advice on what to buy ( i have about £60, or in dollars i think its $100-120 :D )

·
Registered
424 Posts
The strike force is not for the faint of heart. You can only take one aspect (excluding dark reapers) can't have warp spiders, falcons, fire prisms, shining spears, wraithguard, wraithlords or wave serpents. Also, while it isn't needed, a Seer Council is HIGHLY reccommended. Also, guardians get tactical withdrawal so that if they fall back from casualties, they never stop.

Also, half your army CANNOT be on the table at the beginning. What you need to do is give a warlock or farseer a wraithgate, so they can open it after two turns, making a door for that other half.

The bonuses is that every single guardian gets BS4 except storm squads, who get WS4. The calvary hits like a ton of bricks if you work it right. If not, you're toast.

I'm sure someone else will tell you if I missed anything, but here's the best way to say it.

THE STRIKE FORCE IS NOT FOR SLUGGING MATCHES!
I cannot tell you how many times I've seen a new player go, "Hey. They need the Eye of Terror Codex AND the Eldar codex. They must be so good. Hey, they get better aim!"

Then on their first game, they try to have a slugging match. It just DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY. They do not work for drawn out games. If you play them, yuo need to hit fast, hit hard, and DO NOT leave them room to recover.

For what to start with, go for the basics. Get a seer council and an extra warlock. While this seems pricy you'll be thankful after you've started playing. Next, get a box of (or 2) of defender squad guardians, and a support weapon, then split that box into 2 seperate units to get the basics out of the way.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
actually storm guardians i think that u shoudl keep about 3 full 20 man squads of storm guardians in reserve to pop out of the wraithgate. along with 3 war walkers.

for yur aspect i susjest hawks since thye can deep strike, and open the gate, just about anywher u want. then pop out with 60 storm guardians at ws and in 5, war walkers and wreak havov.

guardian defender squads should be on the board from the start with heavy wepons, advancing up the board so when u do opent he gate, u casn give the gusy coming out some support.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thx 4 the help...

so do dark reapers not count as aspects? i was going to do them but if they were just troops that would be really cool!

Thx 4 the advice, im gonna buy a seer council box and 2 guardian squads, and eaither s. hawks or reapers ( depending on whether they count as aspects or not)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Erg. The strike force is only allowed one unit of an aspect type. Shining spears and warp spiders aren't allowed.

Dark reapers don't count towards that limit but they're still in heavy support.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sifer: Dark reapers do count as aspect warriors, not troops
+
Long shot: Dark reapers don't count towards that limit but they're still in heavy support.

ARG!!!!!

oh well, but i think cos of your help i will have:

2 defender guardian squads
1 seer council with xtra Warlock :)
1 squad of swooping hawks (aspect)

Then i will get the army on the field, put the hawks in the middle, make them open the wraithgate and out comes:

2 storm guardians
1 squad of dark reapers (hvy support)
War walkers?

Thx Salamander and long shot for all of ur knowledge. One day i will make Ulthwe great !!!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Erg. Keela mensha Khaine, keep me under control.

Okay, Dark reapers don't count towards THE LIMIT ON ASPECT WARRIORS. They are in heavy support, NOT TROOPS.

That should clear it up.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
LISTEN to ME!!

dark reapers are a heavy support choice. they are aspects, but dont count towards yur 1 aspect choice. meaning u can take reapers and another aspect.

he is rihgt, i looked it upa nd exarchs cant open the gate. im sry.

this is wat u do. have a 20 man guardian squad (no heavy weapon) on the board with a warlock with conceal. yur seer coucil behind them casting fortune to re rool those cover saves. fleet of foot them(yes the coucil can fleet of foot) up the board fast. open the gate and out pops yur army.

BUT the amount of guys u ahve in resevre is half yur units. so i yu start off with a squad of reapers, a guardian defender squad and a seer coucil on the baord then u can onyl get 3 more untis in reserve. it can be equal to or lower the amoutn u ahve on the board.

in reserve i would put the war walkers, and the 2-3 storm guardian squads with warlocks and enhance. give the warlocks int he storm guardian squads waystones.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok... so im gonna have this as my army list:

IN THE GAME AT START=

2 guardian defender squads, both with Warlocks with conceal and a spirit stone
1 seer council (spells unknown)
1 dark reaper squad (with Maugan Ra?)

WRAITHGATE UNITS=

3 or 4 storm guardian sqds.
1 squad of war walkers
An aspect choice (need help to decide... maybe close combat?)

Not sure what this totals up to...

:Searches for codex, than falls asleep for 14 hours after a whole week of non-stop librarium online browsing:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hehehe...

i now know what to do... Im gonna buy the EoT codex and learn the rules on strike force more, then i will buy this as my army:

1500 POINTS

HQ : 1 seer council (farseers: 1 spirit stone, fortune, mind war, 2 shuriken
pistols, 2 close combat weapons).
(warlocks: conceal, enhance, embolden, 2 shurikens, 2
pistols, 2 close combat weapons).

TROOPS : 2 black guardian defender squads with 2 warlocks (warlocks:
2 conceal, 2 spirit stones).

HEAVY SUPPORT : 1 dark reaper squad + Exarch

WEBWAY UNITS

ELITES : 1 dire avenger squad + Exarch (only 5 man)

TROOPS : 2 black guardian storm squads with 2 warlocks (warlocks: 2
enhance).

HEAVY SUPPORT : 1 war walker squad (2 man). Armed with 2 starcannons
each!

TOTAL : 1511

If anyone has any suggestions about how to help me out, or advice about the army list, anything will come in handy!

·
Registered
841 Posts
the main force before the wraithgate is opened needs to be resilent(quote from WD)
-seer counsil
-black guardians
-support weapon battery
-dark reapers

the webway strike are like a TON OF BRICKS and it quotes from WD that assult units are needed for this:
- vyper
- jetbikes
-banshee
-scorpions
-spear of khaine BADASS
-fire dragons
-Maugan Ra
-war walkers
- guardian defender squads

·
Registered
424 Posts
Pretty well worked out. Prett well done.

My only thing to say is...

DIRE AVENGERS!?!?! WHAT ARE YOU ON MAN!?

Guardians work just as good (especially seeing as they're black guardians.)

It would a much better choice (though it takes more $) to go for a squad of howling banshees. They are ZEE BOMB if they pop out of the webway and smush.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In reply to what logan grimmnar said:

*****?????? I am doing a 1500 point army, not fcking 100000!!!!!!!

Anyway, i know dire avengers r crap, but at the end of the list i found out that i only had 63 points left. I wanted to put howling bansees in, because i agree that the webway opening has to shoot then SMASH. however, dire avengers cost the least points, only 12 for each man. Howling banshees are just that little bit more, but too much for my army. What will i do? i could just scrap the aspect choice and put witchblades on all my warlocks, or maybe i will go the whole hog and start collecting a 2000 point army so i can fit in (hopefully) :

Another war walker with 2 starcannons to complete the unit
A whole howling banshee unit with a pheonix lord
Instead of a dark reaper exarch, maugan ra.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
i never ever ever use and exarch in my dark reapers. he is just too expensive. also i hate maugan ra. he sucks in the game. the executioner is a hth weapon but the reapers cant move, so he is like 130 for beter stats and a reaper launcher. i know its tempting but dont take him.

if u have any questions, pm me and we can work them out. plus would u mine pm'ing me yur 1500 point list, so i can wat the whole thing looks like?

·
Registered
531 Posts
what about tank destruction, with just starcannon armored company will roll over you. how about haywire grenades, and heavy weapon crews for your strike force.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.