Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the space marine codex as well as the tyranids codex their is referance of the Ultramar Defence Force. i wasent sure if this is a fluff post or a army list post but i was wondering how one would go about creating a UDF i mean i think their training would be better than most gaurdsmen do to the Ultramarines so does that mean you would take as many storm troopers and veterans as you can? also does anyone have any ideas on how they would be painted or modeled? all i can see is using cadian troops with Ultramarine blue armour and like grey fatigues? would you use the Imperial gaurd codex or one of the inquisition codexs because they let you take gaurdsmen and space marines to represent the marines fighting alongside the UDF?

·
Registered
183 Posts
The Ultramar Defense force is probably just the Planetary Defense Force of the Planet Ultramar. Nearly every planet has such a Force to engage threats while reinforcements are in transit.

According to Lexicanum;

Planetary Defence Forces (or PDF for short) is a term referring to the primary military defence forces of an Imperial world. PDF are under the control of the local government rather than direct Imperial control; the raising, training, arming, leadership, etc, is entirely in the hands of the Imperial Governor. All Imperial planets in general are required to maintain a standing army in order to maintain government (and thus Imperial) control over the planet against any possible invasion or insurrection.
In response to any threat, it is the responsibility of the PDF to engage the enemy until Imperial reinforcements can be mustered from the nearby sector. Thus although rarely respected due to their inherent lack of experience, PDF are widely considered crucial to the Departmento Munitorum as the first line of defense for Imperial worlds against Xenos invasion and Chaos-inspired rebellion
Just as significant is the PDFs' role as the main source of recruits for the Imperial Guard. Whenever required, the best soldiers in a PDF are transferred into the Imperial Guard, receiving further training as they are shipped to their destined location elsewhere in the galaxy.
Many PDF forces base their appearance and equipment off of the venerated Cadian regiments. Others base themselves off the appearance of other notable regiments, such as the Tallarn, Mordians and Valhallans, often motivated by similar climates or even due to assistance from those regiments during the founding of the PDF. Still, given the unique and underlying culture of many worlds, PDFs and by extension their Imperial Guard regiments are armed and appear as their world can best equip them, a sign of the diverse cultures that constitute the Imperium as a whole.
Article is Here

·
2,076 Posts
The UDF is a highly disciplined and well trained PDF.
They would wear standard IG gear and will have access to Leman Russ, Chimera, etc.
Not sure what symbols they would wear, Ultramar icons may or may not be similar to Ultramarines icons.
The only models used by GW are Valhallans, as it was the Polar Defence forces depicted in the battle for maccrage.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Standard Imperial Guard. Probably more of an emphasis on infantry than vehicles (since most of the vehicles are probably with active regiments), probably no "storm troopers," but you could have specialized infantry that are similar (i.e. counts as).

·
2,076 Posts
I would avoid Psykers, Abhumans and Penal Legion.
Plenty of infantry, Russes, Chimera, Veterans could have Tyranid throphies.
Storm Troopers are viable, both as Special units and as actual Strom Troopers. Probably will not have Ultramar icons if storm troopers.
Lots of Regimental banners declaring their history with Ultramarines and anti-nid.
Probably not many Commissars as Ultramar people rarely require such persuasion.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
i couldent look at the other pictures for some reason but now i was able to. its given me alot to go off of and i like certain aspacts of each one like the valkeyrie paint scheme (id use it on all the vehicles) and the painting scheme matching SM scouts. im not a big fan of the rebreather seargents but thats just me. so thanks to everyone for your help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts