Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that undercoating is important in painting your models... i was wondering what brand of paint would be best to use as an under coat. I'm looking for a paint that will serve its purpose but i dont want to empty my piggy bank on undercoating.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
First of all, don't worry about the cost of undercoat...
They'll last quite some time, depending on your amount of models.

When you are getting undercoat, try to get a "course" type... you know I'm talking about spray paint?.
Well, don't get the glossy type, the courser the undercoat, the better the other paints will stay on.

And personally I just use Citadel undercoat, cause...well, I don't know of any other types of spray paint that are that course...

Hope it helps...

Kasutta!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Undercoat

For all metal figs I use Krylon ultra flat black or flat white. For any GW plastics I use the Citadel black. Testers makes a good flat black or flat white base coat in a spray that works equaly well on plastic or metal.
The important thing is to use a stiff brush and give your figs a good scrub with rubbing alcohol before using any undercoat. This gets rid of all the mold release oils and finger oils that accumulate on the mini before painting.
The brighter the basecoat the brighter the final results.
"Every day above ground is a good day"

·
Registered
126 Posts
Doc has brought out a great point on preparing your minis before priming. This is espeically important for plastic models. For plastics I use a stiff brush (toothbrush) and dishwashing soap in plenty of hot water to clean up my sprues.

·
Registered
148 Posts
actually, not rubbing alcohole, but detergent! for plastic your dishwashing detergent is best. anything that cuts through grease. For resine too.

for metal, either detergent OR baking soda.

you still need the good brush like stated before.

The best color for your primer really is white! Black is good for the shading, but if you are a true artist, nothing gives off true color like white primer. I learned from a real graphics artist who has been published in Fine Scale Modeling magazine. I must admit though, I use grey for my under coat!!! HA!

Enjoy

·
Registered
377 Posts
I always use black for my undercoats, but then again, I play Orks, who have a dark colour scheme compared to most.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i like citadel undercoats,
they leave it the model looking kind of chalk board like (compaerd to painting on with a brush)
but i'll paint over it any way.

and compared to some other sprays.................

cant remeber what brand it was,
but it was chalk board black,
and it gave my models a strange sticky feel and it made them smell funny.

i'd just go with citadel sprays

·
Registered
126 Posts
Citadel is too expensive. I think it is a rip off to pay those prices for spray paint/primer. Krylon primer (flat white and flat black) are great for metals and for plastics. About half the price for twice the amount (US Dollars). I suggest taking a look at your local hardware store. You can find plenty of simple spray primer there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
yes, Citadel is a rip off. any good brand primer will work. costs less and usually the can is 5 times the size!!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
The citadel spray primers are actully the best you can possibly get, as it is a shrinking primer (this means that when the paint dries, it shrinks , bringing out details better this way). Krylon and most others are not shrinking primers. The citadel isnt dusty as well either, this only happens when you undercoat your minis way too thick, the trick is to apply two really thin coats instead of one thick one.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I don't know about other sprays but I think Citadel is great, as long as you don't coat too thick and from too close. Though sometimes I spray from close on purpose to get that weird effect :p

·
Registered
318 Posts
I use the CHEAPEST flat paint I can find, usually rustoleum. Unless you need your base coat to match your paints excactly,(assuming you paint with citadel paints), citadel (spray) primer is WAY too expensive, and NEVER gives as much paint as the cheaper kinds. Don't let them get away with ripping you off when other brands work just as well for a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I always hear "White" or "Black" Primer..but never grey.

I use grey primer, and it works for me..however I do not have any comparison.
Just wondering if any of you have used it, and don't like it..or just never heard of it? It struck me as weird.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Undercoating in the same color as the basecoat will do just the same as grey, only if you miss a few spots it will be near impossible to notice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.