Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Unmoveable Units

once in a while a dwarf player can lose a game for something as stupid as failing a single break test and having his general and strongest unit run down. for me this usually ends with my war machines being systematically crushed, and then the rest of my army......
so when the new dwarf army book came out i set about changing that.

i came up with this unit as the central unit of my battle line.
19 ironbreakers, full command, standard-(the one that makes them immune to fear)
thane, grudgestone, always wounds on 2+.

so far this unit has never been moved, and i havnt lost a game in 7 or 8 games, (although ogre kingdoms were doing well, till i destroyed them, mwuhahahahaha)

any replies are gratefully had.
plus ideas of how you could break this unit, my friends may need the help.............

·
Registered
404 Posts
Okay how on earth does the Thane always wound on a +2???? :O

About the thing with the IBs. It depends on which army you have, and there are actually a number of ways you can break THAT strong a unit. To take an example:

The high elves have this banner (cant re-call the name) that ables them to add a D6 to their CS, which is pretty evil!
But if you also gets the chance to isolate and flank the unit....then it would also be in big trouble.

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
King Alriks Bodyguard said:
Okay how on earth does the Thane always wound on a +2???? :O

About the thing with the IBs. It depends on which army you have, and there are actually a number of ways you can break THAT strong a unit. To take an example:

The high elves have this banner (cant re-call the name) that ables them to add a D6 to their CS, which is pretty evil!
But if you also gets the chance to isolate and flank the unit....then it would also be in big trouble.

The rune is called Master Rune of Skalf Blackhammer. The Asur banner is called the Battle Banner, and with an oathstone the unit no longer counts as having flanks or rears so no bonuses can be gained by them.

The unit does seem quite good but the unit can still loose combat, they are not stubborn or unbreakable. If you face units with high strength, unit strength or can take down enough of your ironbreakers - this unit will still break. Also the Thane has to challenge, his magic points are tied up in a single rune and against most he will be striking last; toughness five and a three plus save is not all that excellent.

Nice unit but not the best.

KU

·
Registered
252 Posts
i have to say stubborness, fear imunity may come in handy, but stubborness is usefull against more armies.

·
Registered
239 Posts
me and a wood elf friend tried this, i made 1 unit with a lord and he would spend the equvalent point on a unit or units to break it. my units and lord were

1 lord w/ oathstone, MRo gromril, 2x Ro Fury, MRo Kragg, GW, and Ro preservation
24 hammerers w/ FC, shields, Ro stoicism, and Ro Determination.

this is a hard unit to crack, and even if they do lose CR, which would be hard, they practically autopass the first break test.

now the unit and lord are 678 points but i used everything at my disposal. you could downgrade the lord and drop the unit to 19 and it would still be a hard unit to crack, or you could do the same banner on a unit of 19 ironbreakers, and put a lord in there with the MRo kingship, and Ro Gromril, with a GW. and it might be cheaper.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Unmovable

Hey hey, Just a couple questions and a comment
First off, was wondering on clarification for the grudgestone, after being set the cannot move at ANY point during the rest of the battle correct?
Nextly, what are your tactics for setting the stone? Just because I was thinking about one way of defeating the unit would not be "moving" it, but moving around it. Couldn't a decoy flanker trap that expensive unit in the middle of the battlefield?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the only way to move that unit is to break it in combat, which to be fair is difficult, but as many of you say, not impossable. it does take something special to do it, and to stop it getting flanked the unit has longbeards one side and my lord and his hammerers the other. with my warmachines on the rear of them

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well to be honest I think thats what every dwarf general are planning to do. Have some rock-hard units and to prevent them from being flanked, while the warmachines are creating hell upon the enemy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts