1 Thunder Hammer
Cyclone Missile Launcher
Assault Cannon

Heavy Support
Dev Squad
Sarge
2 Lascannons
2 Plasma Cannons

Anyone have any advice on how to expand the army?

·
Registered
290 Posts
*Ahem*
I see no scouts... you need to fix that ;) (check the sig on my name)

Um, are you using the DA codex? I mean force commander is a generic term that has a DA equivalent, but it just seems odd to say it like that.

Both Tactical squads are ten men strong?? If not there is a start.

I see no tanks...

If you wanted to, you could expand your terminators to two squads, one heavy fire support, the other close combat.

You might make the sergeant of the DA tactical squad a veteran Deathwing, since he has the robes on...

Whats your strategy for game play? I see very little in terms of close assult.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha yeah, i play tau, and ive juss moved onto a space marine army...im not sure what is best for them yet, because ive never really seen any good space marine players

i suppose i can get a couple of scouts...and yeah, ur right, i meant grand master instead of force commander

·
Registered
290 Posts
Originally posted by xMysticx@Apr 21 2003, 18:47
i suppose i can get a couple of scouts...
Don't sweat the scouts, its just thats the only troops selection i take, an all scout army with a few tanks. so i am a bit bias... However scouts are EXCELLENT at closecombat for their points cost, and they don't take up fast attack slots. Upgrade the scout sergeant to a Deathwing Veteran, throw in a power weapon, works wonder. In all honesty I would avoid any other scouts choice other than close combat scouts, unless your really into snipers or something. (FYI the box set of scouts is $4 cheaper then buying them by blister packs or mail order)

Make a theme for your army is my advice, like i said My theme is all scouts. DA can have ravenwing and deathwing themes. pick a company from the chapter roster in the back of the codex and get cracking, or mix and match. But if you get a theme going it helps you in the direction your army will grow.

Honestly, its not glamourus but there ain't a damn thing wrong with adding another tactical squad to your ranks. maybe tack on some rhinos.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Anyone have any advice on how to expand the army?
I would focus on getting some fast attack; like a couple of Landspeeders or MY favorite some Assault Marines w/ Vet sgt. Then give your Chaplain jumppack and let him join the Assault squad

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dark Angels

I've decided to have a fast moving army, using lots of transports

what would be good heavy support choices?

and what would two good scout squads consist of?
first focusing on cc
second focusing on shooting power

·
Registered
131 Posts
First of all, I'd relocate your plasma cannons to the dev squad and your lascannons to your tac squads, as it is more important to be able to split targets with your lascannons. Plasma cannons are great for wiping out a squad a turn when you have four. Add in an apothecary with narthecium and a techmarine with a signum to make the squad uber-nasty! Second, pick a role for your terms. Either close assault or shooting but not both. I agree on the scouts as well, convert sergeants with power weapons and bolt or plasma pistols...it's nasty (maybe even a power fist or a lightning claws!).

·
Registered
135 Posts
What I really think you should do is invest in another tactical squad. People with Space Marines hardly ever consider doing more than two tactical squads. If you work another ten man squad in there thats ten more 3+ saves that you have to fail. Plus it gives your army more flexabilty to intersept and reinforce certain areas. Another plasma cannon couldn't hurt now could it?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dark Angels

I wuz thinking about forming 2 tactical squads and putting them in rhinos
and then forming 2 squads of 6 men each, specializing in close quarter combat in razorbacks to spearhead attacks
then add 2 more scout squads with selected specialties to infiltrate

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
:) .Sounds good. For heavy support I'd take a predator with lascannons, to get some more anti-tank stopping power, and just for fun throw in a vindicator (or a whirlwind, probably a much better bargain if you play against non-power armoured opponents often). Personally I like the flexibility of the terminator squad, though I'd probably go for mainly close combat guys and 2 guys with cyclones per squad. That way you can do some shooting on tough targets while you're closing in on the opponent.

btw I disagree with firehawks916 about putting the lascannons in the tac squads. Sure splitting lascannon fire can be usefull, but it means a lot of bolter shots will go to waste as generally you'll shoot at stuff the bolters can't hurt with the lascannon-wielding squad. Though that's just my filosophy, feel free to disagree

·
Registered
290 Posts
ANYWAY....
Back to your two scouts selections you mentioned interest in (LOL, god am i a dick)

As has been said for close combat make the sergeant have a powerweapon, i prefer this over powerfist due to striking order, since scouts are slightly vulnerable. MAKE THIS SERGEANT DEATHWING!!! Adding 5 points to allow you to ignore ALL leadership test, its a [explitive deleted]ing bargain!

For the snipers/shooters. Sniper rifles are anti personel only, you have plenty of tank killing already. equip the sergeant with an auspex if you want, better yet just buy sergerant Naaman and use him. its a little costly for little gain i admit, but hey their scouts. Live a little. add either a heavy bolter or autocannon to the snipers. I'd go with an autocannon, but then I am a conversions freak.

Firehawks916, Lightning claws on a scout!?! Are you crazy? Do you have any idea how lopsided an odd such a conversion would look like...

I can't wait!!! B)

·
Registered
131 Posts
You would have to build them pretty much from scratch...you couldn't just use terminator ones. Hmmm...wonder what would work for that? Maybe IG powerfists? Everything looks massive on scouts but terminator LCs would just be too much. I'll come up with something because that would be NASTY because nobody would expect that at all!! Next up...Thunderhammer!!! :blink:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am thinking that you should make your army diverse. Scouts with sniper rifles are very great against wrait lords and other big nasties but you have to realise that they are just marines with a 4+ save. You can give them bolt pistols and CC weapons. No other marine squad can do that besides Assault squads but then you are paying like 18 points a model right? I would just go with the third tactical squad because they are more flexable.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Well, I like your plan for expansion with the 2 squads in rhinos and 2 in razorbacks. Make sure you don't skimp on the grenades and tool up the razorback mounted sergeants with things like plasma pistols and power weapons (possibly even mastercrafted power weapons). Throw in maybe a plasma gun in one squad and a melta in the other and you have a pretty good punch. Just make sure they stick together in larger battles since 6 marines is not a lot and a single squad like that could get overwhelmed pretty quickly. If you need more anti-tank firepower in your army I would consider making the razorbacks lascannon models instead of adding to save some points (and some cash). You might want to consider making one squad a 5 man squad and adding the Chaplain to their ranks.

For the Commander I would either add him to the terminator squad or get him a command squad in a transport.

For the larger tac squads I would actually stick with missile launchers for both of them (and maybe a plasma gun each). They're going to spend a decent amount of time moving in their rhinos, advancing on foot, or in hth, so they may not get a lot of use out of their heavy weapon. As such, I see their heavy weapon as more of a "just in case" type weapon, something to pull out for those unexpected situations and to add flexibility, and nothing says flexibility like a missile launcher. Plus I just think the missile launcher model looks a lot more mobile and appropriate for a squad that is on the move.

I would say definitely do not split up the terminator squad. Since terminators can move and shoot their heavy weapons, your set up allows you to fire as you advance with a pretty solid amount of fire power then assault with devastating effect without having everyone but the sergeant hit last.

For further expansion I think some speeders or bikes could be a welcome addition. Bikes and attack bikes could just add that much more staying power (with their high toughness and the attack bike's 2+ save) and fire power to your razorback force, and a few speeders are always fun for using very mobile heavy weapons.

It sounds like you have a sort of theme going, with the large number of tac squads. That could be really cool (and look really good on the table). Trust me, there's nothing like deploying 4 or 5 squads in transports.:) If you wanted to get some different fluff going you could make your army a force from the 6th or 7th reserve companies (the all tac squad reserve companies), with the other units being attached to it, but that's just a thought (any of the other companies would be cool too).

·
Professional Lurker
2,085 Posts
Get a landraider crusader alot of attack bikes and about 20 scouts 1 sqaud bolt pistol/ccw and 1 squad with shotguns to hold off light infantry, and always move your attack bikes cause they can move and fire heavy weapons, and jink your opponents plasma fire

·
Registered
461 Posts
ARMY LIST

HQ = 165

Chaplin 90 (plasma pistol X) (artificer X) (jump pack X) (master crafted weapon X)
Total=165

Elites = 123

Dreadnaught 75 (plasma cannon X, power fist with built in storm bolter)(extra armour X)
(Smoke launchers X)
Total=123

Troops = 462

10 person tactical squad = 150
8 bolt guns
1 plasma cannon = X
1 plasma gun = X
Fragmentation Grenades X points (if u play eldar a lot)
Veteran sergeant =X + (X become stubborn) +X plasma pistol + X power weapon Total= 231

10 person tactical squad = 150
8 bolt guns
1 lascannon = X
1 plasma gun X
Fragmentation Grenades points (if u play eldar a lot)
Veteran sergeant = X +(X become stubborn) + X plasma pistol + X power weapon

Total= 231

Fast Attack = 240

Squad of three land speeder tornados
(heavy bolters, and assault cannons)
Total= 240

Heavy Support = 155

1 predator annihilator 120 + (X side sponsons lascannons) + X (dozer blades) +X (extra armour)
Total: 145

TOTAL: 1145

Use your master and termis in bigger games. Dont get me wrong i love terms.

add on 4 later

HQ

force commander (tool him up to be a cc god)
get a command squad when u have a good base army and some extra points

Elites

use your terms (give two of them assault cannons)(config cc wepons the way u like) (LAND RAIDER CRUSADER TRANSPORT)
maybe another dred or maybe even a 10 strong term squad :p

Troops

2 more full ten man tac squads
(always use plama guns) (always make vet stubborn and tool him up)

1 ten scout squad all with snipers
1 ten scout squad all with cc or bolters

Fast Attack

Another squad of three Land Speeder tornados (multi meltas and assaualt cannons) (after armour threat is gone pick on big units ex: hive tyrants, wraithlords, terms)

10 strong assault squad
Tooled up sarg with fist and plasma pistol (make him stubborn)
two guys with plasma pistols

Heavy Support

Devestators
7 strong - 10 strong
2 heavy bolters
2 plasma cannons
sergeant
rest of guys are meatwall marines

Maybe Vindicator, Whildwind, Predator Destructor (use for different situations)

I FIXED WHAT I WASNT SUPPOSED TO BY WRITING X

I hope my input helped.

need advice my email is [email protected]

congrats on choosing DA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts