Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow wolves I am having a tournament this weekend and need advice.
However there is one hiccup all missions have escalation.
So I am thinking of a foot slogging list.( P.S I cant use
Drop pod as I do not have any.)

Rune Priest
F blade
B pistol

WGBL
F blade
B pistol

14 Blood claws
Meltagun, 3 power fists.
WGPL
Power fist, bolt pistol

14 Blood claws
Meltagun, 3 power fists.
WGPL
Power fist, bolt pistol

10 grey hunters
Bolters plasma gun
Power fist

10 grey hunters
Bolters plasma gun
Power fist

5 Long fangs
2 HB
2 ML

6 wolf scouts
Power weapon
Meltagun
WGPL
Lighting claws
Frag grenades

Any help appreciated.

For Russ

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Ok, it aint bad, I have 3 remarks, not sure if you have other stuff so you may not be able to do...

1 is preference - By the time I hit 2HQs in SW (751 points) I want a ven dread, the SW ven is superb, it would be worth dropping a couple of models from each the grey hunter squads to do this IMHO

2. wolf scouts - classically these need to be best at poping tough things with shooting, focus more on this than combat - again probably personal preference

3. Definate must deal - you are short of anti tank. Sure you got a lot of stuff like fists, all decent wolf armies do, but these will not achieve much until turn 3 against tanks. Accordingly you are dependant on your long fangs, (particularly without the ven dread), but the issue there is even with split fire you only got 2 missile launchers (frankly they would be better with 4ML) but also that max swuad size means that it aint rocket science to take out the hunters.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The scouts wont have that many tanks to pop
and the venerabe dread might be useless for the furst few turns
due to the fact that all missions will have esscalation.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
that is the core of scouts, or are you expecting your opponent to take a load of heavy weapon squads and leave them nicely in charge range for your scouts? that is a bit of an assumption

It will be usefull from before the first turn when you re roll. Sunsequently it should be usefull as soon as it reaches the table

·
Registered
38 Posts
in general i think i agree with Cheredanine on this. a VD would definately give you some heavy hitting power, the melta guns are a start but maybe change and LF some. again, here i agree with Cheredanine, though i would say the optimal set-up would be 2 ML, 2LC. but maybe this is to many points. but i would say that 4 ML is better than what you have now. the points made about the scouts were pretty good as well, but if your not convinced, just change the power weapon to a plasma pistol, you'll have good shooting and keep the attack, though admittedly with saves allowed (obviously). let me know how it turns out though, i always have trouble with foot-slogging, and see our limited mobility as our greatest weakness. though i play a lot of shooty armies. Good Luck! peace.

·
846 Posts
I basicly agree with the general sentiment that has been expressed. A ven Dread is a godsend against most foes. and can be ridiculously nasty, and it will soak up quite a bit of enemy firepower while doing it.

I also suggest the plasma pistols for the wolf scouts. I have used that combo before (and despite one of them blowing up) and was able to take down a predator and a small squad without much trouble.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
On the Scouts, PP would be a good idea. They will take enemies out on the charge and still have the option of shooting if it's best.

A VD will make a good impact, but the problem is that it's the only vehicle. Thus all the heavy firepower will be aimed at it and even a VD can't survive that.
Instead I advice to drop the WGBL for a Wolf Priest with potions to keep your troops alive.

Another idea might be to get a Typhoon 'Speeder (provided you have it). In this kind of lists they provide valuable supporting fire, be able to hide while doing so and it has sufficient mobility to be on the spot where it can do the most damage.

Finally, an excellent setup for the GHs and BCs in such a situation. (Y)

Tai'shar

·
Registered
822 Posts
Nice list,
personal preferences in campaign:
Get another Long Fang Pack, instead of one of the Grey Hunters.
I do not know if you have the models, but if you do. Look at this.
Every mission wolves play need some sort of Really Heavy Fire Support, we get these by VD and Predators, of which we can't use in this tourny.
2 packs of Long Fangs, which I suggest both have 3 missiles and 1 lascannon (point and split fire based) will get you something so distractive and damaging, that most od your opponents radically have to re-adjust your game plan.

Standard scenario:
1. You and your opponent set up.
2. Seeing the Long Fang pack, makes him/her adjust his set-up a bit.
3. Seeing a SECOND long fang pack, confuses him/her, creating a cross-fire.
4. Having to manouver carefully to not get hit by too many shots (which can seek home on 4!! different targets (if needed)) they will get distracted, and will shoot at your Long Fangs
5. instead of focussing all on game-winning units (CC Wolves).
6. distracted by the loads of guys on table (50!) they forget to mention the OBEL scouts which tear them up from behind, making him need to split forces.
7. Then it's just target seeking for you.

Greetings,
~Wolf's gone

·
Ghost of LO
3,861 Posts
Id take land speeders if where you..

They can pretty much solve the roll your attemping to feild with the long fangs, except they can do it better for less.

1 HB + AC

1 Multi melta

Your grey hunters need multa guns, desperatly, blood claws are unraliable at shooting.

Dont bother with lighting claws on the scout leader, thats to many points, simply take a powerfist. If you use there melta to pop a tank, but fail, you can at least damage it will the powerfist, perhaps a chain fist for that reason, however thats again a lot of points.

peace

1 - 9 of 9 Posts