Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there is this awesome little thing we use called Combat Drugs. Wyches got 'em, Reavers got 'em, Hellions got 'em, and any major character in the army has them. So on those traveling by foot, how do you do sweeping advances when you have a 3d6 pursuit. In 3rd ed you'd win combat and roll to see if you catch up. But now you roll the I test, see if you catch them then if you do it's a massacre result, or it's a consolidation, not this 3d6 pursuit thing. How does it work for 4th edition? Is it just ignored and only applies to FB moves?

·
Dark Eldar Zealot
3,699 Posts
So there is this awesome little thing we use called Combat Drugs. Wyches got 'em, Reavers got 'em, Hellions got 'em, and any major character in the army has them. So on those traveling by foot, how do you do sweeping advances when you have a 3d6 pursuit. In 3rd ed you'd win combat and roll to see if you catch up. But now you roll the I test, see if you catch them then if you do it's a massacre result, or it's a consolidation, not this 3d6 pursuit thing. How does it work for 4th edition? Is it just ignored and only applies to FB moves?
Hi,
I believe that you are correct, it only applies to the fall back now.
(Problem is that I have confused this with 3rd Ed in the past, so I hope that I haven't given you a bum steer!)

Cheers.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The way that I have understood it since 4th ed. is that it gives you that 12" assault move and if you do fall back you get 3D6...

Still is helpful just not as helpful with 4th ed as it was in 3rd...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Pig Tailing this as I don't have my BBB right now...how does combat drugs affect difficult terrain? Ran into that last game, and does it affect massacres at all...I don't believe so but just checking...

·
Dark Eldar Zealot
3,699 Posts
The way that I have understood it since 4th ed. is that it gives you that 12" assault move and if you do fall back you get 3D6...

Still is helpful just not as helpful with 4th ed as it was in 3rd...
And what about the 3D6" pursuit move? This is something else again and I still think that its been factored out in 4th Ed and replaced with initiative instead.

·
Registered
569 Posts
And what about the 3D6" pursuit move? This is something else again and I still think that its been factored out in 4th Ed and replaced with initiative instead.
It's that whole initiative test that has done that. No more persuing things! Mind you models that get that ability have such a high initiative that its rare that you lose the test. So we still get to massacre most things.

The annoying thing is that we effectively lose half the drugs abilities.

·
Dark Eldar Zealot
3,699 Posts
It's that whole initiative test that has done that. No more persuing things! Mind you models that get that ability have such a high initiative that its rare that you lose the test. So we still get to massacre most things.

The annoying thing is that we effectively lose half the drugs abilities.
Yep, DE get screwed again!

Bring on 5th Ed I say ,and quickly.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bring on 5th Ed I say ,and quickly.
Even if they bring in 5th ed this fact will not change that we lose half of the drug's ability, not that it's a bad thing to destroy enemy units.

More or less, bring on the Codex update.

·
Karrot Dialysis
1,321 Posts
OK couple of comments

1) We don't get screwed by this, its better to roll initiative than pursuit... we are more likely to win.

2) You get the 3d6 fall back in the case of a fall back move, it effects sweeping advance not at all now.

3) Difficult terrain tests when charging have the highest dice doubled when using the 12" assault drug, just like any unit moving or assaulting 12"

Hope that was helpful :)

·
Dark Eldar Zealot
3,699 Posts
OK couple of comments

1) We don't get screwed by this, its better to roll initiative than pursuit... we are more likely to win.

2) You get the 3d6 fall back in the case of a fall back move, it effects sweeping advance not at all now.

3) Difficult terrain tests when charging have the highest dice doubled when using the 12" assault drug, just like any unit moving or assaulting 12"

Hope that was helpful :)
Hi,
As to point 1, I agree that initiative 6 is great when compared to most armies (at the moment) - apart from Exarchs, some Nids and some init modifiers – but the 4th Ed rules does deny some of what is “supposed” to be a given when you buy that drug.

So game wise we are not really screwed, but as a general trend that has existed for the last 10 years we can add this problem to the list of denied abilities formed by 4th Ed and I suppose that I was just venting frustration again.

But your points, as always, are helpful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahh I see what you mean wicky :), I guess if the drug gave something like +1/+2 init for purposes of sweeping advance then it would be truer to original function, course that would then have to be given to every unit with a 12" assault move.

Seeing how the drug makes the model go faster, why can't they modified it to include a faster massacre rule, say d6 *2.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey guys. I've played 4 games but have yet to perform a sweeping advance. I either kill everything too quickly or the other player rolls very well for leadership and don't break. What numbers dice roll are obviously out of my hands but is a sweeping advance more common in your games, ratio wise? I am batting .000 at the moment. I'd like to use the Animus Vitae at some point but I can't see the value in wargear that may never get a chance to work.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys. I've played 4 games but have yet to perform a sweeping advance. I either kill everything too quickly or the other player rolls very well for leadership and don't break. What numbers dice roll are obviously out of my hands but is a sweeping advance more common in your games, ratio wise? I am batting .000 at the moment. I'd like to use the Animus Vitae at some point but I can't see the value in wargear that may never get a chance to work.
I do sweeps frequently but as for the Animus Vitae, I would make another thread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts