Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently a Big Mek with Shokk Attack Gun (base 95 points) is an IC and thus can not be targetted unless he is the closest unit. This means he can fire without fear of return fire. His biggest enemy right now is himself (rolling snake eyes). This is very powerful, having an Ordnance Weapon that something has to get close to to kill.

However, the rumors of the new 5th Edition rules are stating that ICs will no longer have protection unless they join a unit. In all honesty I think this is a very good thing and if why they have allowed the Big Mek, an IC, to have such a huge long range weapon. Right off the bat, when I read the new Codex I felt this was a bit m uch, but now it makes sense with the new 5th Edition Rumors.

Currently I will be running a Big Mek w/ SAG without any other upgrades, no real need of Eavy Armour and/or Cyborks. But once the new rules come out I will need 1, if not both of them.

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
heheh

I know it is only vaguely connected but is anyone else worried that thr 5th edition rules are going to cost £40 to buy or $75...

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Currently a Big Mek with Shokk Attack Gun (base 95 points) is an IC and thus can not be targetted unless he is the closest unit. This means he can fire without fear of return fire. His biggest enemy right now is himself (rolling snake eyes). This is very powerful, having an Ordnance Weapon that something has to get close to to kill.

However, the rumors of the new 5th Edition rules are stating that ICs will no longer have protection unless they join a unit. In all honesty I think this is a very good thing and if why they have allowed the Big Mek, an IC, to have such a huge long range weapon. Right off the bat, when I read the new Codex I felt this was a bit m uch, but now it makes sense with the new 5th Edition Rumors.

Currently I will be running a Big Mek w/ SAG without any other upgrades, no real need of Eavy Armour and/or Cyborks. But once the new rules come out I will need 1, if not both of them.
I saw this also. Remember to make sure he's not the closet unit and keep a unit relatively close by to act as a buffer. I've seen the rumor on the 5th edition also of removing the "if not closet unit rule."

·
Archite of Caerbannog
1,582 Posts
I am not much of an Ork player (yet) but I think the Grot squads now have a purpose and adds to the meaning (its a Grots life!). Not sure if its a good tactic but it popped into my mind.

·
Registered
353 Posts
IC or not......the big mek got one thing to fear.....mortars. They can target him at ease and he can't hide from them. Mortars also negate his armor save as well unless he is in cover.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
IC or not......the big mek got one thing to fear.....mortars. They can target him at ease and he can't hide from them. Mortars also negate his armor save as well unless he is in cover.

That's why the Big Mek should always bring heavy armor minimum to give you some chance vs those things that can target him. Other options are keeping a KFF close by or cybork if you have the ability by taking Grotsnik.

·
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's why the Big Mek should always bring heavy armor minimum to give you some chance vs those things that can target him. Other options are keeping a KFF close by or cybork if you have the ability by taking Grotsnik.
A Big Mek can take Cyborks without Grotsnik. Like a Warboss he has the option for both Eavy Armour and Cybork.

·
Blood Axe
526 Posts
Question is, when the new edition hits will you be putting him in a unit of grots to babysit him, or are you just going to ditch him altogether for a KFF mek / 2nd warboss / weirdboy / more Troops (since squads of 30 will be gods on the tabletop)!

Hmm, speaking of this IC thing...guess this means that crazy loner biker bosses will be a little harder to pull off.

·
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Question is, when the new edition hits will you be putting him in a unit of grots to babysit him, or are you just going to ditch him altogether for a KFF mek / 2nd warboss / weirdboy / more Troops (since squads of 30 will be gods on the tabletop)!

Hmm, speaking of this IC thing...guess this means that crazy loner biker bosses will be a little harder to pull off.
Yea I've been debating that and not sure. I'll need to actually read the new rules myself before deciding, after all rumors are just that. But I had considered slapping some Grotz around him, but the issue is if the Unit breaks you're screwed, that and it doesn't take a lot to down the grots. Lootas aren't a great option either because of their poor save and the fact they are already a large target.

I'm no so worried about a Biker Boss, he is much more durable and takes S10 to instakill. Right now I generally start games with my Biker boss behind a Trukk/terrain. Turboboost him out ahead of other units and behind more cover and then charge him in on turn 2. So the new IC rule wouldn't affect this too much.

·
Blood Axe
526 Posts
Not quite, you'll be able to shoot through most terrain, although this will give him a 4+ cover save (whoop dee do, he has that already). The only things you won't be able to shoot through are big buildings that you simply cannot see through. Trees and ruins however will not provide the solid wall necessary to block him.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Wait...what?

Wait, are you saying that indirect fire can target independent characters? Since when? You can't hide from them, certainly, but I've never heard anything to suggest you can use indirect fire to target independent characters. Is this true?

Knocking off the independent character rule is going to hurt the big mek (which I love using), but overall it's probably a good thing. Players have been exploiting that rule for far too long. All it really means is that you need to keep them connected to units.

Personally, along with Tyranids and MEQs, I believe the ork army is going to take the change very well. It's the IG, Tau, Necron, Eldar, and Dark Eldar that are going to be really hurt by the change to independent characters, if it happens, especially the Necron.

When your strategy relies almost exclusively on keeping one or two units alive, things are understandably going to get tough. Even with a full entourage, if a Necron lord, or a Tau ethereal is in range, everything on the board is going to fire at it.

Imperial Guard doesn't have too many independent characters (at least not popular ones), but they do get hurt by this rule, as IG units are neither resilient, nor numerous. You can always slap the characters on teams of conscripts, but they aren't really anything more than the IG equivalent of Grotts.

The eldar/dark eldar get off a bit better, but bodyguards are going to be more or less required now (but since both can be easily transported, it shouldn't be a problem).

So don't despair. Even if your Mek or warboss on bike gets blown away, at least the rest of the army isn't going down with it. This hurts most other armies more than it hurts orks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts