Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
last update: 01/12/08

I would like to discuss the ways you can use, abuse and misuse the new versions of the various chaos god worshiping followers. I will try and periodically update the top with ways to use certain troops, how they're good, and strategies for them. Let's just start with how they come in the Codex, what options I personally see as good and how they can be used in combinations with other units/skills to form a powerful force. And sorry if this has been posted before, I'm very new to the forums and in reality this is my first piece of stratagem written for any army. So if I overlook something or write things in a way that would make GW angry, please inform me and I'll try to change them as soon as possible.

First, we have the...

Plague Marines:
These guys are sporting some cool powers. They have higher toughness than your average CSM, and also have the FnP ability. The downside is that they're a bit slower than your average CSM.

Strategies:

Rhino Rush: Basic idea, toss them in a rhino and run them up the field really fast. Often times used with multiple squads of rhinos.

Road Block: Make a long line of Plague Marines to slow down assault armies, or hope that they hit the PM instead of the men behind the PM.

Charge Bait: (posted by infernosolarc)

Drive a Rhino full of PMs up to within 12 inches of a threat, disembarking to Rapid Fire ( w/ plasma to taste )
This should get your opponent's attention =)
Park another Rhino full of cheaper, more numerous, higher Init CC troops, be they CSM, Noise Marines or Zerkers behind the PMs so they can charge to the PMs next turn and they are protected from fire lines.
Now if your opponent charges the PMs he shouldn't do a whole lot. He bogs down in your Nurgle tar pit, and you counter assault into him with your real CC troops on your next turn, outnumbering him and wiping him out.
If he stays and shoots, you move 6", rapid fire, and charge, bogging his guys in CC with your PMs while your Assault troops come to finish the job.
If he runs, follow while laying down a hail of covering fire. This is why I like standard CSM as my back up. Not bad shooting at all. Alternatively, consider this a victory, pile into your rhinos and do this at a different front in the battle.
Basically, as long as you don't drop off those PMs in range of something TRULY nasty you will be golden. Even against enemies that ignore your armor save and FNP though, they are still MUCH better at taking a charge then a CSM.

the expendable tie up and tank hunting unit: (by Moschaboy )

Thats a squad of 5 plaque marines with rhino and 2 meltas, which costs 160 points. use it to drive up a flank and melta some tanks or tie up heavy support units that have no powerfist and are isolated when the rest of your opponents force is advancing. for a rather low points cost you get a unit that has roughly the same staying power as 10 marines but costs a lot less and might be ignored, therefore being able to do what it's there for. since the new codex supports them with krack grenades, you can disembark, melta a tank and then attack side/rear armor with grenades.

sit and stink (by Sajiisde)

Variation off Moschaboy's squad, made to hang back more instead. 5 plague marines w/ 2 plasma guns, the 'new'6 lasplas squad. Costing less than a full 10 man w/ 2 plasma guns, 5 marines can easily fit anywhere in the deployment phase. First turn move up to kill the enemy, or if the enemy is coming forward stand and shoot. With the FNP plague marines are perfect to handle plasma as they're even less likely to die. Squad is small, so not a huge footprint. And if the enemy tries to kill them, will take a little more than necessary as they're plague marines.

the incredible nurgle special weapon spam (by Moschaboy)

sajiisde's squad of 5 PM with 2 plasma guns... 6 times. yes you heard me all troop choices full of them that gives you an incredible 12 plama guns for 870 points. that's one hell of a lot of tough infantry killers, leaving room for some nice anti tank units like obliterators, and a prince or another counter charge close combat monster/unit. just walk forward until in range and then fire away. if the opponent charges (keep in mind to let the PM's define the front line) then coutercharge them with your cc monster/unit. also gives you a really large amount of fearless scoring squads you can park on any objective.

Strengths:

With the combination of FnP and higher toughness, they are a beast to try and kill. And if you get charged, your enemies don't get the bonus attack from charging due to Bli-nades.

Weaknesses:

Although they are very hard to kill, they often times (in my experience) do not kill things often enough to be taken. They can hold a unit up in close combat for a long amount of time, but they do not deal enough casualties to get the rest of the game moving. I have not yet found an effective way to use the Plague Marines in the new codex. When compared to other styles of marine, the plague marines only useful point would be the roadblock strategy.

Noise Marines:
The basic noise marine is nothing special. Slightly higher initiative and fearless for 5 points off of the base CSM isn't really worth it. However, if you give them all the upgrade of the Sonic Blaster, they become a very powerful fire fighting machine.

Strategies:

Cover Shift(Sonic Blaster Upgrade): The basic idea of this is that you set them in a piece of cover that extends a bit past your maximum deployment line. (on average, starts at 11 inches or so and ends somewhere at 15ish) Deploy them inside the cover as much as you can, spend your first turn walking through the building a bit more to get range on things, and shoot the double shot at 24 inches. Then after that, make them stationary and they each get 3 shots each. Although they're only bolter shots, with that many of them (3 per) it gives you a good chance to take out MEQ's as well as horde armies. Also, if you spent the points to give them the Blastmaster, they can take out tanks or high toughness enemies if they must.

Mobile Fire Support(Sonic Blaster Upgrade): Deploy them somewhere near the center of your deployment zone, and have them constantly move and keep up fire support for any piece of your army that needs it. The downside to this is that they only get two shots, and are more likely to get killed by AP3 weaponry.

Rhino Rush: For this, I would suggest not getting the sonic blaster upgrade. But you do get the asp champ and give him the Doom Siren. And with the combo up higher init and the MEQ killing doom siren, you are sure to deal some major damage to your opponent.

Strengths:

The noise marines are effective in mid range combat, and are some of the best basic infantry you can take if you expect to fight a horde army. And even against MEQ's, you have a strong fire force just due to the amount of shots you fire at them.

Weaknesses:

Although good at range, they are not worth their points if your enemy can close the distance in a short amount of time. If you paid for the Sonic Blaster upgrade, and they get put into melee, they're just expensive MEQ's that go a little bit faster. If you can keep them at range however(which isn't too hard due to the assault mode of the Sonic Blaster) they can rain fire on your enemies with little trouble.

Khorne Berzerkers:
The melee centric troop. They are a beast in close combat. With high str and high inish attack on the charge, normally hitting on a 3+ you are sure to deal a sizable amount of wounds.

Strategies:

Rhino Rush: Whee, ride them Rhinos!

Lash of Submission - Assault: The idea of this is to get the Khornites into melee as soon as you can. And a way to get it done on turn one requires a lot of points and is somewhat difficult to stop once it gets going. What you do is start them off inside of a Land Raider, shoot them forward 12 and then drop them out. Then, durring the shooting phase, you use the Last of Submission from a lord to pull a unit closer. If you doubt your rolling powers, I'd suggest taking two lords with that power. They don't necessarily have to be with the Khornites, due to the 24 inch range on the power. then after the lash does it's work, you have them charge into the group with no troubles.

Strengths:

The Khorne men have good str, WS, and init(on the charge). These things will help them wipe up MEQ's like it's a walk through the park. And with a good amount of power weapon attacks at higher str than normal, or a good amount power fist attacks at really high str, it'd hard to say they won't deal major damage to an IC.

Weaknesses:

If they don't get into melee, they are 12 inch shooting space marines that spend most their time getting killed. But thanks to the fact that they cost less than some of the other specialty marines, that may not bother you as much.

Thousand Sons:
The Thousand Sons army has perhaps changed the most into the new codex. Some ways for the better, others for the worse. The most notable upgrade is that they all have inferno bolts now.

Strategies:

Rhino Rush Specialty: This is a special version of the Rhino Rush. Due to the fact that they have inferno bolts, you use the rhinos to get into rapid range rather than melee. A way to make sure that your bolters get the job done even quicker is to throw a lord with lash of submission in there to pull MEQ's out of the terrain so that they just roll over and die. And thanks to the invulnerable save, they don't have to worry about trying to be in cover.

Road Block: Make a long line of Thousand Suns to slow down assault armies/keep something with power weapon attacks stuck in melee while you deal with the rest of their army, or hope that they hit the TS instead of the men behind the TS.

Foot Slog: Simple idea, and somewhat intimidating. You just walk them strait up the field and rely on their power armor and good involn to keep them alive while you pop single shots at them. You can also use a lord with lash to keep things fun. If you do this, I'd suggest getting the bolt of change power to take down some pesky tanks on the way in.

Strengths:

The Thousand Son army is nothing to scoff at. Thanks to their invulnerable, they can't be AP'd to death nearly as easy as other MEQ's. And those inferno bolts will help YOU AP the other MEQ's to death. All in all, fairly solid.

Weaknesses:

Although they are very good at shooting, if you get them into melee they're little more than a roadblock. They do not have the bolter/boltpistol+CCW combo that the rest of the CSM army does, so often times they only get a single attack. And due to the slow and purposeful nature of thousand sons, they can sometimes be unreliable when it most counts. Still a very solid choice though.

And there we have it, multiple ways to use the 4 specialty choices of the new chaos codex. And, if you could post your own ideas, strengths and weaknesses of these 4 choices, I would love to put your name giving you credit for thinking it up, as well as add it to the main post. Thanks for reading.
(And as for past experience with Chaos, I'm still somewhat of a new player. In the old codex I used a nurgle army. I've been playing for about 5 months now)

·
KITTENS GIVE MORBO GAS!
3,922 Posts
Friendly warning before a mod catches you.Remove all stats and rules. Discussing them by name without actually giving them is ok. But giving x+/y+ save profiles and strength of khornate blah blah blah is no good. If you want your thread to stay alive, I suggest editing them out.

·
Sadomachiatto
7,076 Posts
Friendly warning before a mod catches you.Remove all stats and rules. Discussing them by name without actually giving them is ok. But giving x+/y+ save profiles and strength of khornate blah blah blah is no good. If you want your thread to stay alive, I suggest editing them out.
Yeah.. what he said. *Gives Yak a 'Yak snack'*

Remember, you'll never get kudos for telling people what's available in the codex.

I mean if I went to you and went, HEY DUDE, YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHAT! MARINES CAN MOVE 6"

You'd think I was either retarded.. or patronising you.

So, in the same way, don't do the same to us.

That said, promoting discussion is great. I'd encourage people to read Iron Angel's tacita about cult troops before proceeding also.

In the mean time I've edited your post :)

Cheers,

Karmoon

·
LO Zealot
1,883 Posts
Welcome to the forum Serbi!

You have some good basic ideas there and it looks like you have a good grasp on the new dex for such a new player. I may have to keep my eye on you...

Take a read through the tactica I wrote if you get a chance, you will find the link in my signature.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Plague Marines:

Tactic - Charge Bait

Drive a Rhino full of PMs up to within 12 inches of a threat, disembarking to Rapid Fire ( w/ plasma to taste )

Park another Rhino full of cheaper, more numerous, higher Init CC troops, be they CSM, Raptors, or Zerkers behind the PMs so they can charge to the PMs next turn and they are protected from fire lines.

Now if your opponent charges the PMs he shouldn't do a whole lot. He bogs down in your Nurgle tar pit, and you counter assault into him with your real CC troops on your next turn, outnumbering him and wiping him out.

If he stays and shoots, you move 6", rapid fire, and charge, bogging his guys in CC with your PMs while your Assault troops come to finish the job.

If he runs, follow while laying down a hail of covering fire. This is why I like standard CSM as my back up. Not bad shooting at all. Alternatively, consider this a victory, pile into your rhinos and do this at a different front in the battle.

Basically, as long as you don't drop off those PMs in range of something TRULY nasty you will be golden. Even against enemies that ignore your armor save and FNP though, they are still MUCH better at taking a charge then a CSM.

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
Park another Rhino full of cheaper, more numerous, higher Init CC troops, be they CSM, Raptors, or Zerkers behind the PMs so they can charge to the PMs next turn and they are protected from fire lines.
Might want to edit that bit.

·
Registered
306 Posts
here's another use for plaque marines:

the expendable tie up and tank hunting unit

Thats a squad of 5 plaque marines with rhino and 2 meltas, which costs 160 points. use it to drive up a flank and melta some tanks or tie up heavy support units that have no powerfist and are isolated when the rest of your opponents force is advancing. for a rather low points cost you get a unit that has roughly the same staying power as 10 marines but costs a lot less and might be ignored, therefore being able to do what it's there for. since the new codex supports them with krack grenades, you can disembark, melta a tank and then attack side/rear armor with grenades.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would find it interesting to know what you guys think of combinig different cult troops. For example, 2 squads TS (for anti MEQ) and 2 squads noise marines (anti horde and counter charge). What do you think?

·
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would find it interesting to know what you guys think of combinig different cult troops. For example, 2 squads TS (for anti MEQ) and 2 squads noise marines (anti horde and counter charge). What do you think?
This would work fairly well, but if your opponent has many tanks, the points cost of both those squads is pretty high. I personally would find it hard to get enough mobility with trying to get all four of those squads + anti-armor and something to hold table objectives... I suppose it can be done though, I'd have to look into it more.

·
Swarm Queen of LO
1,174 Posts
Hmmm, how about a... uh... what to call it... Tactical Retreat with the Noise Marines.

Basically, as your opponent closes in on your noise marines to take them out in close-combat, you run away! ("When danger reared it's ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled!") And all the while firing your sonic blasters on assault setting.

Probably won't be able to keep it up for more than a few turns, but those few turns can make all the difference in a game only 6 turns long.

·
Anemone's jelly jar
176 Posts
The erm..........sit and stink?

Variation off Moschaboy's squad, made to hang back more instead. 5 plague marines w/ 2 plasma guns, the 'new'6 lasplas squad. Costing less than a full 10 man w/ 2 plasma guns, 5 marines can easily fit anywhere in the deployment phase. First turn move up to kill the enemy, or if the enemy is coming forward stand and shoot. With the FNP plague marines are perfect to handle plasma as they're even less likely to die. Squad is small, so not a huge footprint. And if the enemy tries to kill them, will take a little more than necessary as they're plague marines.

·
Registered
306 Posts
hmm amazing idea...

the incredible nurgle special weapon spam

sajiisde's squad of 5 PM with 2 plasma guns... 6 times. yes you heard me all troop choices full of them that gives you an incredible 12 plama guns for 870 points. that's one hell of a lot of tough infantry killers, leaving room for some nice anti tank units like obliterators, and a prince or another counter charge close combat monster/unit. just walk forward until in range and then fire away. if the opponent charges (keep in mind to let the PM's define the front line) then coutercharge them with your cc monster/unit. also gives you a really large amount of fearless scoring squads you can park on any objective.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hmmm, how about a... uh... what to call it... Tactical Retreat with the Noise Marines.

Basically, as your opponent closes in on your noise marines to take them out in close-combat, you run away! ("When danger reared it's ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled!") And all the while firing your sonic blasters on assault setting.

Probably won't be able to keep it up for more than a few turns, but those few turns can make all the difference in a game only 6 turns long.
Yep, this strategy works. Squads of noise marines with sonic blasters are superior to most troops at 24. You can use their awesome mobility to maintain this optimum distance.

If you need to get somewhere, but not in the biggest hurry, you can perform a slow advance/retreat with 2 squads. One squad moves, shooting in assault setting, while the other stays still, giving covering fire in heavy. On the next turn, the squad that didn't move now does the moving, and the squad that already moved fires away on heavy. A compromise that allows you to advance or retreat while still putting out a hail of fire.

And it's not like assault is the end of the world for noise marines. Charging after firing assault weapons gives you a total of 5 attacks per marine before the enemy can strike back in mose cases, due to superior nm initiative.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I just wanna chime in that Noise marines will have a certain advantage in the new rules if rumors are true. That being, in the distribution of wounds. Currently they can still benifit from the torrent of fire rule, which is useful in allocating a wound to a single model if you cause enough wounds total. So, say with a 10 man squad average rolling against many targets theres a 1/3 chance to remove a sergant or heavy weapons trooper. When the rules change over and (if) we end up with the new wound allocation system, all targets will have to make their own saves. In the end you may lose a few wounds to redundant wounds (the same model may fail both saves sometimes) but upgraded models and aspiring champion/exarcs/sergeants/icon bearers will often bite it as a result.

I feel this bit of info has been overlooked quite often. Imagine how frustrating it is to have your powerfisted champion with the mark of korne blown apart while 2/3 of his squad is still alive. It puts a ***** in the whole hidden powerfist strategy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts