Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
LO Zealot
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am playing a 1750 point list versus space marines Most likely black templars.

Search and Destroy Mission.

I have NO knowledge of black templars. . . .

1.) Should I open a wraithgate near my enemy, and engage him in an en mass assault?

2.) I forget, it states that wraithgate units coming out, count as coming from reserves, so when they step out of the gate, which of the following is true?
--- A.) They can't move,but they can only shoot and Assault.
--- B.) They can move, shoot, and assault like normal
--- C.) They can move, shoot, and assault, but they count as already moving, and unable to fire heavy weapons. (I.E. Dark reapers coming out of the gate, cannot shoot.)

hmm pretty much all i need to be answered at the moment..

once i get some more information, i'll post my list up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Black Templars are pretty strong in CC, but they tend to be low numbers, and there's those damnable Emperor's champion and ubiquitous Crusader to deal with.

1 depends very much on what you have in your list. The mass-assault tactic of USF would work best against the Templars as, well, a MASS assault. Do not underestimate the effectiveness of 20 Black Storm Guardians with an Enhanced Warlock on the charge. That's 63 attacks on the charge, all hitting before the marines. So what if they're wounding on 5s, that is going to do more than enough damage to backup that seer council, spear of khaine and Banshees or Scorpions as they dive in. While you COULD go for massed starcannon death, I'd lean more toward the former with Templars.

As for 2, C is the correct one. As with regular reserves deployment, they must move onto the table.

·
Favored of Tzeentch
3,140 Posts
Black Templars are tricky... make sure you bring your Spear of Khaine and Banshees!

You need to engage a part of his army at a time, this is probably the key to victory. I also recommend the following units: War Walkers with Star cannons, D-Cannons, Spear of Khaine, Banshees. Go low on Guardian Defenders and take Stormies instead.

As I said, you'll need to isolate a portion of his army and engage them with your entire assault force. Also use D-cannons to push away his deployment zone by deploying them far into the board. The greatest challenge after that will be to engage the rest of his army, as you need to avoid being shot to bits by their weapons. Generally BT don't have a lot of bolters and such, but anyway.

Over-killing is the only good way to deal with Marines, hit one squad with Spear of Khaine + Guardians and another one with Banshees + Guardians and make sure they die. Your War Walkers can proceed to take out Marines at range etc.

But the most important thing: Don't drop the gate too far away or too close from his units! Both flaws will mean certain loss or at least an enourmous disadvantage for you. That's all I can think of right now...

Oh, and C is correct.

·
LO Zealot
1,331 Posts
But the most important thing: Don't drop the gate too far away or too close from his units! Both flaws will mean certain loss or at least an enourmous disadvantage for you. That's all I can think of right now...
One way for this to happen is to let your warlock carry the gate and drop it when they shoot and kill a warlock.....pending on how close your are that is, this way you don't suffer any of the penalties, but im sure you;ve seen this somewhere before.

·
Favored of Tzeentch
3,140 Posts
Heiromyo said:
One way for this to happen is to let your warlock carry the gate and drop it when they shoot and kill a warlock.....pending on how close your are that is, this way you don't suffer any of the penalties, but im sure you;ve seen this somewhere before.
Yes, on a tournament this is probably the way to go. But there are risks: The enemy can force a save on the Warlock if a unit scores more wounds than there is models in the unit. With a Seer Council this is not very difficult. Mind War is a threat as well, and the master of the Ravenwing. (Fat chance) Another thing, the enemy can simply choose not to fire at the Seer Council... but usually it is the first time they play against USF and they'll fall into the trap.

Just be aware of the risks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts