Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
LO Zealot
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just trying to get some consensus on how people feel about the green dragon as an option for a mount for our highbornes.

I'm considering picking up a High Elf dragon and converting it for my Wood Elves.
Primarily thinking to replace my large EG with BSB unit with the Dragon and Highborn in my 2K list.

Equipment layout for the Highborn is:
Helm of the Hunt
Fimbulwinter Shard
Hail of Doom Arrow
Sword of Battle
Light Armor and Shield

·
Registered
301 Posts
beginners advices - take with pinch of salt ;)

From what I have read about the dragon and its use, its a very pricy upgrade to take and must be complemented by the rest of the army. That is to say the dragon is fast, so to should the rest of hte army be - so wild riders and such. This way the dragon does not find itself out infront of the army and the subject of concentrated fire.
That said - its a great model to own - one of the best! -

·
LO Zealot
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Are there any 'typical' configurations for a Highborne on a Dragon that are effective?
With my current equipment, I'm trying to get one good round of corrosive breath and HoD arrow into one unit, and then charge the flank/rear of another with as many attacks as I can get, using the Fimbulwinter Shard to help deflect any attacks back.
I think going ranged with the Highborne (Bow of Loren, Arcane Bodkins) isn't a smooth move. That'd be wasting the combat potential of the dragon.

Typical being like:
  • Wildrider Highbornes 'typically' take the Dawn Spear and the Oaken Armor
  • Branchwraiths 'typically' take the Cluster of Radiance and are level 1 mages
  • BSBs 'typically' either take the Oaken Armor or the Annoyance of Netlings for protection

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
To be honest, I've never used a WE dragon. Or a VC dragon. I just never wanted to for whatever odd reason.

So I can't speak from the experience of fielding one. I have played against a WE dragon, and it was always easiest to kill the rider. There just aren't a lot of good ways to keep the rider alive and kicking. That's part of my reluctance at fielding one.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well, I think you could at least give him Glamourwave. It is very nice, gives you a nice save against magic missiles and normal missile fire. It also gives you a very handy save in CC, at least, that's if you're facing low leadership units. The main reason for Glamourwave should be the save for missiles. After taking the glamourwave, you'll have still a lot of points for other magic items.

·
LO Zealot
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glamourweave kindred is only for mages. Also, as a forest spirit save, it doesn't protect against magic missiles at all.

·
4,361 Posts
Glamourweave is also a magic talisman. Protects against missile fire and magic missiles and causes a leadership test for anyone trying to attack you in close combat.

SirKently

·
LO Zealot
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glamourweave is also a magic talisman. Protects against missile fire and magic missiles and causes a leadership test for anyone trying to attack you in close combat.

SirKently
Oh snap. Maybe I should read my army book more closely. Though, if I were going that route, I'd probably take the Stone of the Crystal Mere as it protects the rider and his mount.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yeah, but if you just have a bad dice roll in the start, then you're save is away. You can take them both :D, the only problem then is that you won't have much points left.

·
4,361 Posts
Yeah, but if you just have a bad dice roll in the start, then you're save is away. You can take them both :D, the only problem then is that you won't have much points left.
You can't take them both as they are both talimans and you can only have one of each category. But I agree with your point on the SofCM, especially on a mounted character. Giving the ward save more of a chance to blow up just doesn't seem like a good use of points to me.

SirKently

·
179 Posts
I do own a new dragon model myself (primarily so that I can run the Sisters of Twilight) but also have been tantalized in running a noble on a dragon. I think that you need to figure out how you want to run your guy, in him being able to do alot in the first round or that he can certainly last a long time. The main difference between the two is if you take the helm of the hunt or oaken armour. So guess it would kinda look like this:

Insert (magic) weapon (Dawnspear, spear, Sword of Might, etc.)
Oaken Armour or Helm of the Hunt
Stone of the Crystal Mere (or maybe Glamourweave if you think your dragon is doing ok)
(Hail of Doom?)

I am in favor of the Stone for both because for the super offensive, he doesn't have a really good save at all so that is nice (plus it protects the dragon from some random cannon shot) and it gives the noble a fairly good ward save (hopefully it wont be taken away thanks to shooting randomization). Frankly, I perfer the defensive version abit more because if you plan on running him into combat then he can be picked out specifically rather than shooting where it is randomized and CC is going to be alot more dangerous than shooting in terms of what your character is going to have to put up with and having three saves is going to hopefully stop that. But once again, it comes to personal preference and also which armies you play against the most (One is certainly better against HE, DE, Empire, Brettonia and such rather than Hordes of Chaos, Orcs and Lizardmen).

Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My highborn on dragon looks like one of these:

Highborn
Forest Dragon
Spirit Sword (Autowounds do well against rank and file troops)
Helm of the Hunt
Fimbulwinter Shard

or:

Highborn
Forest Dragon
Daiths Reaper
Helm of the Hunt
Stone of the Crystal Mere

When I tool a highborn out for combat, he goes on a dragon, when I give him the Loren + Bodkins Combo, he's usually on a Great Eagle or Elven Steed. No need to waste a 320pt Combat Dragon just for a harassment/sniper highborn.

·
Registered
12 Posts
personaly I think the green dragon is a decent choice the only two problems are
1 It is expensive so use in anything lower then like 2,500 pt games it just takes up to much
2 WHY CAN'T WE BUY A FREAKIN DRAGON WITHOUT THE SISTERS!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think he means "Buy" as in "Purchase with dollars". Not points.

I agree. I really like the Sisters of twilight dragon, Its a cool model, I just wish there was some flexibility on the model riding the dragon. I mean, you could buy that HighElf Dragon Kit and paint it wood elfy, but it wouldnt have the cool Spites all over it.

I think a Highborn on Dragon model would be cool.

·
Registered
12 Posts
that is what i mean I really like the dragon but don't really want to buy the Sisters with it why can't we have one that has a high born on it?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Nope. The bitz orders for GW only have Orion's dogs as far as Wood Elves go.

Orionsvassal: One option is to purchase the old Highborn (or Mage) on Dragon model from the last Wood Elf series, I see them pretty often on Ebay. Also some game-stores have an "Old junk" section that this might be sitting in. Couldnt hurt to look :)

(You can purchase the Mounted Wood Elf Lord and the Sisters of Twilight, and then just put the guy on the dragon. I have my dragon/sisters/highborn Pinned, so I can swap between them)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts