Librarium Online Forums banner

Can Deamonhunters take Witch Hunter tanks as allie?

• Yes

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can deamonhunters take a WH tank as allie, because I really like the idea of an unit of stormtroopers/grey knights riding between the enemie lines, flaming every thing they see.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
755 Posts
I voted yes as tanks can be taken as allies with certain units. For example you can have 1 fast attack choice. If you guy some sisters in the immolater, then you can have a sisters tank in your force as an allie, but you need to take the sisters too. But due to dedicated transport rules, they still count as dedicated so only the sisters can ride in it. But you would still have an immolater in your army!

-Goblin

·
438 Posts
I voted No because they can't be included in the context you're talking about.

Now, you can play a Witchhunter army with Heavy Support slot Immolators, and then Ally in some Grey Knights and let them ride in it since it's not dedicated if taken in that FOC slot.

Otherwise, what Goblin said.

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
You cannot take Heavy Support Witchhunter tanks. You could take Immolators as WH dedicated transports, but then your GK's/stormies cannot be "riding between the enemie lines, flaming every thing they see" with them.

·
3 Getrudes
1,710 Posts
You could mathematically take up to 3; one with a Sisters Of Battle heroine and Celestian retinue, one with an Elite Celestian squad, and one with a squad of Dominions. So yeah, it's possible, but your ISTs can't ride in them and the Grey Knights can't even fit into them as far as I'm aware.

·
Registered
325 Posts
You could mathematically take up to 3; one with a Sisters Of Battle heroine and Celestian retinue, one with an Elite Celestian squad, and one with a squad of Dominions. So yeah, it's possible, but your ISTs can't ride in them and the Grey Knights can't even fit into them as far as I'm aware.
This is the only way to get any immolators as an allied choice so yes you essentially could have them however you can put anything not in terminator armour in the transport just remember that it is a dedicated transport though.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
You can get 5 actually.

0-1 HQ: Heroin with Celestians can have a Rhino or an Immolator
0-1 Elite: Clestians can have a Rhino or an Immolator
0-2 Troops: Battle Sisters can have a Rhino
0-1 Fast Attack: Dominons must be in a Rhino or an Immolator

You can ally a mini mechanized army xD

That gives me an idea for a list using the list above. Use 2 PAGK troops put them in a LR, get a Inq Lord and put HIM in an LR, and a squad of termies and put THEM in an LR. That's 5 Rhinos and 4 landraiders xD.

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
You can get 5 actually.

That gives me an idea for a list using the list above. Use 2 PAGK troops put them in a LR, get a Inq Lord and put HIM in an LR, and a squad of termies and put THEM in an LR. That's 5 Rhinos and 4 landraiders xD.
And over 2500pts of lean mean Inquisitive fighting machines.

·
3 Getrudes
1,710 Posts
You can get 5 actually.

That's still only 3 Immolators though >_<

·
Registered
325 Posts
Just pretend the first sentence didn't exist.

·
3 Getrudes
1,710 Posts
Dead-thread, I know, but has anyone else noticed that bit in the Witch Hunters' FAQ that says the second print run of the Codex removed any mention of the dedicated transports only being usable by the units they were bought for?... I can't believe I missed that.

If dedicated transports can be used by units other than those they were bought for, what's to stop me bringing in an Immolator with my Canoness' Celestians and then letting a 6-man unit of Grey Knights ride around in it? And how awesome would that be?

·
Registered
77 Posts
sounds too good to be true... anyone else have thoughts on being able to put some greyknights in the immolator (after the bit mentioned above stating the removal of dedicated transport restriction)?

I dunno, just thinking about having a barbeque with the immolator and inviting a purgation squad with x4 incinerators to the tailgate party... just sayin =)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree, however I believe the x4 incinerator purgation squad would excel in specific scenarios, specifically flash frying giant turkeys in swiming pools (stuffed with bacon).

·
3 Getrudes
1,710 Posts
I don't understand; are the turkeys stuffed with bacon, or is the pool? If it's the turkeys you'd still be better with a PAGK squad.

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
Problem is that'll leave the Canoness+Celestians to footslog. I don't know if I'd want to do that. Then they'd have to expend FP's on marytr and have less FP's to DG. Besides, with the Immolator so fragile, if I used a Purgation squad, I'd rather stick them in a LR.

·
3 Getrudes
1,710 Posts
Problem is that'll leave the Canoness+Celestians to footslog. I don't know if I'd want to do that. Then they'd have to expend FP's on marytr and have less FP's to DG. Besides, with the Immolator so fragile, if I used a Purgation squad, I'd rather stick them in a LR.
If it's 2000pts+ you can give them a Sacred Standard, take a squad or two of Sisters alongside the Celestians and let them footslog together. Fearless Sisters are fun :)

The fact it's not an Assault Vehicle does make it a bit of a poor choice for GKs, but 5 heavy flamer templates, four of which ignore invulnerable saves, are going to make a mess of most things. I don't even want to think what that'd do to a unit of Daemons cowering in the shrubbery.

·
Festo Diata
917 Posts
If it's 2000pts+ you can give them a Sacred Standard, take a squad or two of Sisters alongside the Celestians and let them footslog together. Fearless Sisters are fun :)

The fact it's not an Assault Vehicle does make it a bit of a poor choice for GKs, but 5 heavy flamer templates, four of which ignore invulnerable saves, are going to make a mess of most things. I don't even want to think what that'd do to a unit of Daemons cowering in the shrubbery.
A good idea, but why wouldn't you pay the extra 180 points or so and just get a Land Raider Crusader? Much more shots being put out every turn with an extended range. Both have Multi-Meltas, but the Crusader can carry more troops, and is extremely more difficult to kill.

The Immolator is a cool idea, visually, but I think in reality adding a Heavy Flamer to a unit with 4 Incinerators is overkill. The Twin-linked Multi Melta option is attractive, but if your serious about close range tank-on-tank, the Crusader is a much better option: it can move 12", fire it's Smoke Launchers, and fire it's Multi-Melta at a good Ballistic Skill. This effectively gives you a 24" threat range for double-penetration, while maintaining a defensive stance with Smoke Launchers.

Also, I don't know about you, but I prefer to keep my Grey Knights out of close combat until absolutely necessary. The firepower they could be laying down while embarked in a Rhino-equivalent piece of armour is pretty substantial.

I'm not knocking Immolators though :D... it's just another situation where I think to myself, "But this would do a better job at it..."

1 - 18 of 18 Posts