Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, long time since my last post work, but my workload has been crazy over the christmas and new year period. Last weekend i dusted off and played three games of Fantasy with my TK's.

The first was against a skirmishing force of dryads against which i achieved a minor win but the second and third were 2k battles against the new Vampire Counts. Now i consider myself a reasonably strong player with my Tomb Kings but my tournament list (which is fairly balanced, aside from the 2 SSC's) was massacred twice in the most uneven battles i have ever participated in.

My young opponent fielded the following (this is from memory so may not be entirely accurate)

Vampire Lord Lvl4 due to bloodline powers + an item which allowed him to gain an extra power die for sacrificing a wound he generated 7 or 8 power dice most turns!!!

3 x Vampire lvl1 generating 3PD each due to powers, 2 carried a bound item and one the black periapt. (generating a total of 9 power dice + 2 bound spells per turn)

The rest of the army consisted of primarily skeleton warrior blocks, 4 x 25 strong and two black coaches which were absorbing some power dice which render them almost impervious!

An army that is capable of generating potentially 20 Power Dice + bound spells and has a 4+ (3+ with lord of the dead ability) Raise Spell for 1D6 models is grossly overpowered and poorly designed. His starting army was not small either, it had a combined unit strength of over 90.

In both games my army was wiped out by combined charges from his warrior units and the sheer ridiculous number of zombies he was able to raise as new units. In my second game i changed tactics and went after his vampires, which are much harder to kill than regular enemy mages due to high WS and T. I killed two of them and still lost horribly but my advice would be to kill them, kill them quickly before they are screened.

Now i am not one who usually subscribes to panic about new armies for example i believe the new high elves are great but still have flaws to be exploited i.e. lack of numbers due to high cost! Great abilities are usually tempered by weaknesses.

My opponent was not hugely experienced but it was clear that more experienced players will hideously exploit this army's capabilities and i fear that future tournaments are likely to be dominated by them.

HEX

·
Registered
81 Posts
Jebus.. thats just ...wrong..so wrong ......
Im kinda scared now, i'll be facing 3500 points of VC on the Ard'Boys coming up on april ....
Maybe i should play what im more experience with, my Orc and Goblins, 3 giants, 4 catapults and arround 20 fanatics should be able to do something. But i want to play my TKs so bad...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Vampire Lord Lvl4 due to bloodline powers + an item which allowed him to gain an extra power die for sacrificing a wound he generated 7 or 8 power dice most turns!!!

3 x Vampire lvl1 generating 3PD each due to powers, 2 carried a bound item and one the black periapt. (generating a total of 9 power dice + 2 bound spells per turn)
Well first things first, you must realize that the vamp lord is 400+points depending exactaly what magic items he has, and the hero level vampires look to be 200 points each, so he has 1000+points tied up in characters.

Furthermore I think he was having some errors with the item that lets him sac wounds for powerdice. I assume he was losing two wounds for 2 powerdice then healing himself for 1D6 wounds in order to sac more wound for more powerdice? VC healing only does 1D6 wounds on non-vampire, infanry models. Any Cav, monsters, etherial, or vampire units only get healed 1 wound per spell. Thus I find it unlikely he could generate many dice with that ability without killing himself.

He also needed a specific power to raise any non zombie units past their initial strength. As far as zombies goes, he can go nuts, but they have really poor stats now. A Skele hits on 3s and wounds on 3s, so they really have no purpose at all asside from tar pitting, as they can't even pursue anymore.

Really it seems that he spent all his points on magic and characters. Sure vampires have a good stat line, but with all their bloodline powers used up by the +2power dice, and arcane items, it looks like they had no armour or wardsaves or much in the way of magic weapons. Vampire's can't take mundane equipment except through bloodline powers.

Anyways sounds like he made a very 1 dementonal list, and it worked well. Adapt to it, get some heavy CC hitters in and he should crumble quickly.

Also while most people think it's just a GW error in not spelling things out, as it stands right now by RAW VCs can't raise dead into any unit that is in combat.

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
So, i was right, the Zombie Necro hoard still works! just with Vamps taking the lead now.

Aside from that, indeed it is a very nasty list, with all that raising potential, and your fear negated.

I think it may call for 4 Scorps, maybe some Carrion, and go for some possibly suicidal charges to kill of the big casters asap.

·
Registered
77 Posts
When i start fantasy my most common opponent will be VC but i dont think he will use those tactics. Just to clarify how many points did he loose and how many points did you use?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He lost points for 2 Vampires and 1.5 black coaches which was about 700 points in the second game i was wiped out except fo a 165 liche priest who had the cloak!

HEX

1 - 6 of 6 Posts