Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to be a big fan of Vampire: The Masquerade back in high school. Then in college, Requiem came out, and while the rules were fine, the new concept didn't really strike me as that great or interesting. I was wondering if anybody knows if Vampire is still as popular as it was under the Masquerade venue, more popular, less? What do you other vampire players out there think of the new game?

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
still got all my masquerade books in the attic, all the clan books etc, havent played it in years, assumed it has dissapeared, am curious as to new version too

·
529 Posts
Our local Camarilla still runs a vampire LARP - now Requiem, of course. I haven't played in it in years but I understand it has a core following that's about the same size that it was under Masquerade.

I think the general suspicion is right, however - Requiem wasn't the rebirth of a passion the same way D&D 3rd ed. was. There hasn't been a Requiem 'Kindred: the Embraced', and post Buffy and post Anne Rice, vampires aren't quite as hip as they were in the 90s.

Gods, I miss the 90s sometimes... :C

·
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the genre changed and White Wolf went the wrong way. The went Gothic Noir, while society went more visceral. Success of movies like 30 Days of Night show vampires are still fascinating. I think, however, that post-9/11 American views changed. As such, vampire being portrayed as decadent, self-indulgent beings just weren't as interesting. I think people are looking for more desparate, violent gothic style to match the more desparate violent times. Gothic Noir doesn't really fit in that world.

Second, they gutted too much. The clan structure was ridiculous and need to be redone, but the 5 clans and 5 sects that all overlap were confusing and I thought boring and overcomplicated. I thought the way they redid the plot was decent, and the way generation works with no more antedulivians was a good choice. But the cool factor was just gone. Weird clans and cool powers really gave the game the wow factor so that it was could have moments of high fun and adventure. White Wolf took too much of that away.

I heard they sell Exalted as their number one product, which to me is now the better game.

·
529 Posts
Dr Paris, good points. I guess my sticking to self-indulgence and decadence is where I went wrong, huh?

In 'Thirty Days of Night' the vamps were back to being mere monsters again - visceral and violent as you say, but also much less interesting as characters. The 90s self-indulgent type had more room for characterisation, ranging from the violent 'Near Dark' ones or early Spike, right through to the brooding angsty L'Estats, Gary Oldfield Draculas, and Angels.

I liked the streamlining of clans and sects in Requiem. I thought making them able to coexist was a great idea. I disliked the bloodline thing immensely, as it seemed to me to just undo all the good work the restructuring of the game did.

I've never played Exalted. Why do you think it's superior to the reimaged WoD games?

·
Painting Machine!
2,668 Posts
The Whole new World of Darkness lore and system aren't particularly appealing. While it was never as popular as V;tM, the new Werewolf is particularly disappointing in light of its predecessor. While the earlier Vampire and Werewolf games were not without a good bit of flaws, their new games are tepid and gray in comparison. I'll agree with the idea that White Wolf misjudged how to change their game, and went one way while most people went another.

Tekore

·
Nightlord
1,795 Posts
My friends and I still play all the previous edition World of darkness books. Between all of us we own, Vampire, Hunter, Werewolf, Mage, Demon, Changling, and Ghost, which allows us to run cross system all the time and have some really interesting characters. Having all of the different games mesh well together really is a strong point in the whole system and offers great variety in your campaigns.

·
Always Fabulous
1,742 Posts
I find some of the stuff quite interesting still, though I will have to agree on the whole "the new one isn't as appealing in terms of story" thing. People say that the new Mage is bad but I actually prefer it, if only for the fact that the system is significantly easier to understand than the previous one, as is the background. I do think the original WoD collapsed under the weight of so much accumulated lore and background, such that only people who had been there awhile knew exactly what was going on. It's why I eventually ran out of interested gamers.

·
529 Posts
Interesting point. I am currently running a 'Changeling: the Lost' game where I used to run 'Changeling: the Dreaming'. I thought initially that the much darker reimaging would be a good thing, but now after a handful of sessions I'm not so sure. Perhaps it's that in order to get a handle on it I'm finding it necessary to go back to basic plot elements that we dealt with extensively in the first version of the game, so this new one still feels like reheated leftover chicken.

Oddly enough, the revised Storyteller rules system is an impediment as well. It's much more streamlined than the first version(s) but feels much less representative - or clunkier.

·
Always Fabulous
1,742 Posts
Tell me how Changeling goes - I heard that out of all the WoD games it has the most extensive character customisation system and has a really interesting background to boot. Sounds like my kind of game, really.

·
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dr Paris, good points. I guess my sticking to self-indulgence and decadence is where I went wrong, huh?

In 'Thirty Days of Night' the vamps were back to being mere monsters again - visceral and violent as you say, but also much less interesting as characters. The 90s self-indulgent type had more room for characterisation, ranging from the violent 'Near Dark' ones or early Spike, right through to the brooding angsty L'Estats, Gary Oldfield Draculas, and Angels.

I liked the streamlining of clans and sects in Requiem. I thought making them able to coexist was a great idea. I disliked the bloodline thing immensely, as it seemed to me to just undo all the good work the restructuring of the game did.

I've never played Exalted. Why do you think it's superior to the reimaged WoD games?
Better design and it didn't get overhauled by the Time of Judgment. It was the new kid on the block about 6~7 years ago, so WW didn't feel the need to totally re-imagine it as they did the others. Exalted was looking good from the start, and they they released 2nd edition, which I heard was a steller improvement. It helps that there's the whole D&D renaissance and fantasy spike in the American public.

Tekore has got it right about the other games, tepid and gray. What they should have done is focused more on an alternate universe where vampires rule through the shadows. V:tM was great because of its extreme contrasts between white and black, light and dark, and you could even see it in the art in their books. They killed all that and washed it over with a murky gray. Should have gone the other way, more extreme, violent, visceral....*begins rambling about a sabbot, something about Salubri..*

·
Registered
49 Posts
Changeling is one of the best, easy to modulate a character to start with in your roleplaying. It's still as complicated as the others, but easy to mould a character with.

I have Vampire, Werewolf, Promothean and Changeling. I prefer Werewolf and Changeling but im working with Vampire at the moment.

·
529 Posts
Update on my changeling game - curiously, I'm finding the sheer breadth of potential in the rules and setting a bit disconcerting. I'm finding I have to really concentrate to pick out one aspect of the setting for each session, and my players always seem to want something else...

The rules for creating Pledges - do-it-yourself agreements between characters (PC and NPC) that produce tangible beneficial game-mechanical effects - also take some management, particularly if you have an engineer in your gaming group.

I'll probably end up closing this puppy down in few sessions and starting again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.