Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I played my brother's Empire in three 1000 point games, and I got smacked all three times!
I used:

Exalted Hero - 195 pts
MoT
Disk
Enchanted Shield
Sword of Striking
Favour of the Gods

5x Marauder Horsemen - 105 pts
MoK
Flails

5x Marauder Horseman - 75 pts
MoK
Flails

5x Chaos Knights - 230 pts
MoN

5x Chaos Knights
MoN

Chaos chariot
MoS

He had

Warrior Priest
Van Horstman's spectum
Sword of Battle

Battle Wizzard
2x dispell scrolls

25 swordsman
10x halberdiers (detatchment)
10x free company (detachment)

10 handgunners

10 handgunners

5 knights

5 pistoliers

great cannon

I just couldn't seem to beat him, he really stopped me when my exalted kept dying from that warrior priest, I need help, please!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey there,

Sorry to hear about your losses. Maybe try the following setup on the exalted next time:

Exalted Hero, MoT, Disk, Flail, Shield, Armor of Morsliebb 184

He will have a 3+ ward save vs the cannon and missile fire because of armor and MoT. I'd use him as a war machine hunter off the bat to take down the cannon crew and then go after soft targets in his army.

Since you didn't say his Priest has a steed I presume he goes with the swordsmen? If thats the case then the above setup on the exalted will also can-open those knights he fields because with the flail he will have S7 attacks on the charge.

Also because you know he has speculum on his priest just makes sure you never get in a challenge against him. Since your exalted is on the disk this shouldn't be a huge problem.

Also I'd leave the chariot at home when your facing him, as that thing is clearly getting popped right off the bat due to that cannon. I'd use the points you save from that to maybe get some Warhounds to screen your knights from shooting while they advance, and standards/musician on the knights. If you still have points leftover then magic banners are always nice.

So maybe something like this:

Exalted Hero, MoT, Disk, Flail, Shield, Armor of Morsliebb 184

5x Marauder Horsemen, MoK, Flails - 105 pts

5x Marauder Horsemen, MoK, Flails - 105 pts

5x Warhounds xxx, these guys screen the banner of rage knights to make sure they don't get baited and also protect them from shooting.

5x Chaos Knights - 295 pts
MoN, Standard, Musician, Banner of Rage

5x Chaos Knights - 260 pts
MoN, Standard, Musician

Should be 979 points if I counted correctly, so 20 left over. With that you can give the seconds knights unit rapturous standard, or give the exalted some more magic items to work with. While I don't particularly like to you can give the horsemen light armor as well.

Just some thoughts, obviously playing an army is all about what suits you best. So feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks for the sympathy lmao, I was thinking about dropping the chariot, but I like to use him to kill some of those handgunners, and he plays so scared of the thing, he runns the handgunners off the table any time it charges, the last two games he had his cannon on a hill so I got screwed with trying to screen it, but I feel like if he's shooting at my chariot, then he wont be shooting at the exalted trying to kill him. Plus, the most fun thing I did in all the games was rear charge his free company with the chariot, rolled a 6, broke them and charged right into his swordsman. Personnaly I love chariots, but at this point Im willing to change my list to beat him, he's a sore winner :( It just the cannon that gives me trouble, I even have my cruise missiles smother his knights once or twice, :) Thanks so much for the help, you really just made my day, and btw, should i run the champs against the spectum, or just no challenges at all

·
Registered
105 Posts
The big part about the chariot is that if the cannon wounds it, it automatically destroys it because it has a strength higher then 7.

Also with the setup I propose the cannon should be no problem at all. Turn 1 fly your exalted somewhere such that he is within 20" of the cannon. If he decides to shoot at the exalted he has a 3+ ward save due to Armor of Morsliebb and MoT so a reasonable chance of survival. Turn 2 your charging the cannon, and taking out the crew with no problems at all.

I would avoid challenging his priest at all costs. Anytime you jump in to challenge he always gets the better deal.

Hopefully your next battle is a victory! Good luck, let us know how it goes!

·
Schemer
481 Posts
There is a solution to stop the Van Horstmen Speculum and it's called a champion. You either challenge with a champion or accept/refuse the challenge with him.

As for the rest, don't use a chariot if you expect to face canon often. Your knights would benefit from having musician+standard as this really help beating blocks of troops with high static combat res. Your also missing a unit of warhounds to bait, threaten shooting units or take table quarters. Apart from that, your list seems fine you should be able to beat him with that kind of list.

Actually, if there's one last thing I can propose is that if your afraid of losing your disc hero every time he goes into the open, use a steed of slaanesh hero instead. He will also be a lot more useful once your opponent begins to put his war machine in between his units in such a way you won't be able to charge with a disc (not enough space). This is what usually happens when they field a hellblaster (start thinking about the basted banner if he fields such a war machine).

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree predator, I tried a champ, but I forgot to mention that the swordsman had full command, and when I tried to challenge his priest with the champ, he accepted with his champ, and his priest was free to drive his hammer into the skull of my exalted. Yeah, about the chariot, I have to have at least one in all my armies, i cant go without one, but if my plan works, he will only get one cannon shot, and it will probably be at my exalted with the ward save, so on turn 2 his cannon is dead, should I get roar on my exalted to help take care of those knights, thier armour save is vaery, very, annoying.

·
Schemer
481 Posts
A warrior priest killing an exalted hero! nonsense! ;) Armor of Morsliebb is nice against shooting and rank&file troops but quite useless against any hero. Your hero isn't design to kill fighting character, leave that to the knights. You could try an exalted mounted on a barded steed and use the Axe of Khorne. It isn't fancy but it gets the job done. You have about 40% of doing a KB to any empire hero each combat round (and you get 1+ Sv + S6). Also works well against knights. Anyway this is just a suggestion.

As for getting roar, absolutely no. Leave roar to a sorcerer, your hero needs to go into combat, not be left in the open with a bullseye on his forehead. The knights should not be a problem if they don't get the charge, 2+ Sv won't matter since they will be helpless with S3 (or S4). Your S5 knights should be able to grind them (as long as you have a banner+musician so he won't gain the upper hand...).

·
Champion of Chaos
2,415 Posts
Empire knights have a 1+, but yeah chaos knights should always win that battle. You could just give your exalted the Axe of Khorne. Yeha you lose your stats, but you can still killing blow him and your strength isn't nerfed so bad.

You also need to find the points for 1-2 units of 5 dogs. Dirt cheap, annoying as all hell and worth every penny, specially against gun lines.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I would have to agree that a box or 2 of dogs will help you out alot. just 2 units of 5 dogs will force your opponent to waste an entire round of shooting on a cheap unit.

If your hero is on a disk you should be able to outmenouver his priest, just dont get in charge range of his unit and you will be fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.