Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the basic marine. I think he deserves all of the respect thathe can get. In fact I love him so much I was thinking about running four tactical squads of pure vanilla marines, the only thing I would be adding is a Heavy Bolter, these are so cheap that I can't say no.

So, 620 points, 40 marines, 4 Heavy Bolters. I like it.

Has anyone else thought about or actually fielded completely vanilla marines?

·
is coming out to play
991 Posts
I love the basic marine. I think he deserves all of the respect thathe can get. In fact I love him so much I was thinking about running four tactical squads of pure vanilla marines, the only thing I would be adding is a Heavy Bolter, these are so cheap that I can't say no.

So, 620 points, 40 marines, 4 Heavy Bolters. I like it.

Has anyone else thought about or actually fielded completely vanilla marines?
I don't see why people wouldn't. It is effective and they are well rounded troops.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have often fielded an entire company of vanilla marines. It is very competitive! Moslty I use missle launchers and hardly any other upgrades.

-V

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is what

This is what I was thinking about. I bought the marine company box during the Apocalypse flash stages. All of those marines got me thinking about how many I can actually field in a small game of 40k. A lot of players choos fairly elite lists these days and I would love to stick it to a guard army by outnumbering them for instance...

The bolter is an awesome weapon and with a bit of supplementing here and there I don't see why you couldn't make a mess of most other armies...

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
I recently fielded a combat patrol using traitless marines and it seemed to work a treat. I ended up boltering things to death over the course of the game.

I think sometimes peple get carried away with upgrades and don't realise that the basic marine can do quite a lot.

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not to mention in

Not to mention in close combat. I love charging people with my devastators or supposedly non cc marine units. People forget that anything that is running those stats can look after itself up close and personal. Getting into CC even saves you from getting shot at by your opponent...

Ever since GW did away with the encumbered rules for models carrying two handed or heavy weapons there has been more and more reason to take your basic marines. They can take a pile of punishment and dish out another pile all the time too.

Anyone run into any hiccups when playing vanilla vanilla marines. No I didn't accidentally type that twice. I mean to ask about non-traited, non-equipped marines...

·
Weirdboy
289 Posts
Not to mention in close combat. I love charging people with my devastators or supposedly non cc marine units. People forget that anything that is running those stats can look after itself up close and personal. Getting into CC even saves you from getting shot at by your opponent...
It is often said that marines are best in CC where their armor and toughness can protect them from all but the most brutal of attacks. Look at it this way: most armies will have only a sgt with a power weapon/fist, and the other 90% of attacks will need to hit, wound and then you fail an armor saveo_O! not likely considering the "most common" statline that is played(all 3's) will hit on 4+, wound on 5+ and you save on 3+! it's not happening!

On the flip side, don't throw them haphazardly into combat with a bunch of banshees and expect them to live...that won't usually happen either(depending on squad strength of course, 10 marines will beat 2 banshees, and take minimal casualties).

All in all the basic marine is the best bang for your buck! But they are not throw aways...remember this above all else.

·
Registered
318 Posts
It is often said that marines are best in CC where their armor and toughness can protect them from all but the most brutal of attacks. Look at it this way: most armies will have only a sgt with a power weapon/fist, and the other 90% of attacks will need to hit, wound and then you fail an armor saveo_O! not likely considering the "most common" statline that is played(all 3's) will hit on 4+, wound on 5+ and you save on 3+! it's not happening!

On the flip side, don't throw them haphazardly into combat with a bunch of banshees and expect them to live...that won't usually happen either(depending on squad strength of course, 10 marines will beat 2 banshees, and take minimal casualties).

All in all the basic marine is the best bang for your buck! But they are not throw aways...remember this above all else.

Yeah the bolter is actually quite a solid weaon, rapid firing it and shooting at lightly armoured targets like orks, all it has to do is hit on 3 and would on 4. with 20 shots you should have abit of luck surely. But stil;l your definatly right, marines arent to be sacraficed as a meat shield lightly. As a matter of principle even, they are the finest, not a bunch of grots, lol.

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think

I think that Marines charging into Banshees will almost certainly come off better than Marines who get charged by Banshees. I guess that was the angle I was taking. You need some anti armour kit but other than that your typical Marines can handle most stuff on their own. Especially if you give the sergeant a... Uh oh I'm falling into the upgrade trap already!

It's all too easy to get carried away.

·
is coming out to play
991 Posts
Banshees could still eat up a squad of marines. But why would they give you the chance to charge them. And if you could charge them just shoot rapid fire and take them down easily.;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah this type of army works well. However the only thing i can see is that if you are playin a very tank heavy army it would be difficult to take them out. I would suggest just taking 1, 10 man devastator squad with 4 rockets. This is cheap and can take out all but the toughtest tank with ease.
Hope this helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.