Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have been playtesting a new list lately and have had some problems with the rock, paper, scissor effect. The list I want to play is VERY bike heavy and I have been trying to find better ways to support them. Any way, here is the current list.

HQ
Captain- 205
Relic blade
Artificer armour
Hellfire rounds
Auxiliary grenade launcher
Bike

Command squad- 280
Bikes
Chapter champion
4 plasma guns

Librarian- 185
Epistolary
Bike
Smite
Gate of infinity

Troops
5 bikes- 175
2 meltaguns
Power weapon

5 bikes- 175
2 meltaguns
Power weapon

5 bikes- 165
2 flamers
Power weapon

5 bikes- 155
Power weapon

4 bikes- 195
2 meltaguns
Combi-melta
Attack bike
Multimelta

Fast attack
2 attack bikes- 100
2 multimeltas

Landspeeder- 90
Typhoon

Landspeeder- 90
Typhoon

Elites
Ironclad Dreadnought- 185
Assault launchers
Drop pod

So that is the list and I tend to play casually, but there is a lot of Waac players in my group. Now like I said I have been playtesting and I have played against IG, tyranids, and GK. Against IG I took out a majority of his tanks but just couldn't handle two vendetta gunships for some reason could not get to his objective and he contested mine with a vendetta last round. Against tyranids I did perfect. He was playing a swarm/ hybrid list (leans more toward the swarm) I tabled him by the fifth turn in a kill point mission. And against GK purifier spam I got a minor victory with kill points again. But I must say 40 purifiers and two psyflemen dreads is not a fun list to play against. So any help is welcome. And thank you in advance.

Quixos1103

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Have you thought about dropping the Libby for Vulkan? Sure he's not on a bike but he would complement all of your flamers and meltaguns. If you do take Vulkan you might want to drop the Command Squad for a Tac Marine squad with Flamer/Melta in a Pod to keep Vulkan Protected and to also give you an option of dread or marines for a turn 1 drop. You would also have another 50 points to spend on your bikes.

If you want to keep the Command Squad you could give them Power Weapons instead of the Plasma Guns and trade the Libby out for a Chaplain on bike. This with your Cap can be a really hard hitting unit to help with counter assaults, and with the points you save on the Chaplain you can give your 3 vets Storm Shields.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
Your list got two wins and a tie against competitive players and you're asking for help? All I can really suggest is fielding full bike squads and making use of combat-squad rules.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have looked into putting named characters into the list but I have found the option to auto-fail moral checks is a saving grace. After facing the tyranids I found bikes are not the best at close combat. I know a command squad full of power weapons with a chaplain is a nasty close combat unit, but I have found that moving 12 and rapid firing plasma guns fit the fast moving (relentless) style of the army. I appreciate where you are coming from and at any other time I would include Vulcan or even Calagar in a heartbeat. But I just don't feel units on foot are an effective enough choice for such a mobile army.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
I know a command squad full of power weapons with a chaplain is a nasty close combat unit
Or you could include an Apothecary. That'll make the command squad extremely tough against units without power weapons of their own and still leave the other members free to carry plasma guns. Just have a different bike squad make the charge after the command squad lights up a hard target. That shouldn't be hard to do with your speed advantage.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or you could include an Apothecary.
Sorry I forgot to put him into the list. Vanilla command squads come with an Apothecary. So I have played the list two more times; once against the guard player I lost to originally and against Eldar jetbikes. I lost once more to the guard player he just has way to many vehicles to deal with. If only we were playing a kill point mission, I was able to de-mech his entire army but somehow I just could not kill off all the (supposedly) squishy guardsmen. My first turn was the most effective destroying two leman russ demolishers, manticore, and two chimeras, but then it went downhill from there. As for the Eldar he had a lot of str 6 weapons and that was my undoing. I was able to kill all his troop choices but he in turn did the same to me. He ended up winning by four kill points [6-10]. I am still not completely sure where I am going wrong. Against the guard I really believe it was bad die rolls but I feel that a decent list should do well, bad die rolls or not. Again any help is much appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts