Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been playing a short while now, and I think me and my friend are getting the hang of it more... I play space marines (custom chapter) and he plays Orks but wants to build an IG army...
I just want to expand my SM army, then possibly slowly build a witchhunter army (simply for the looks of some of those minatures!!)
I just thought I would run my list by you to check its not a complete flop, or illegal by GW rules, just bear in mind me and my friend play casual games, I wont be entering any super competitive competitions with these...
right so, lets get to it, at the moment I have:
Space Marine Captain with COmmand Squad
Termiantor Squad w/ chaplain in termie armour
Combat suqad 1 w/ flamer
combat squad 2 w/ rocket launcher
Scout squad
dreadnaught w/ twin linked multi metal, storm bolter and Dread CC weapon

I plan on adding, in this order:
sternguard (so I have a powerful force on both flanks, termies and sternguards)
Merge the 2 combat squads into a Tac squad and buy another tac squad to up the army size
this means moving the rockets around too, so to fill the void a devestator squad
a thunderfire to protect the devs from large mobs (I just love the thunderfire minature okay?? XP )
2 assault squads
2 Rhinos to carry the Tac squads up so the assault squads can support them
Predator for the extra firepower
Then build it up from there, vindicators, a drop pod more temies and such

·
Registered
61 Posts
The list is legal, assuming your two combat squads are one tactical squad that gets split. Remember, for tactical squads to get any upgrades, they have to be a full 10 models.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yee, at the moment it is just one tactical squad split in two, but I plan on merging it again and having two tactical squads instead, when the need arises anyway
Thanks for the help :)
-Raze

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
You don't make lists with "combat squads," you make a list with a single Tactical squad that has the "combat squad" special rule. You simply have the choice, before deployment (or after they exit a drop pod), to split up a squad of 10 models or not depending on what you feel is most tactically advantageous.

There is no twin-linked multi-melta option for a Dreadnought, it is simply a multi-melta. You can make it "twin-linked" if you choose to have your army led by Vulkan or someone you choose to have represent him for your custom chapter (but the model must include all of his equipment).

Are those terminators regular terminators? If so are they going to have a special weapon? (I recommend the cyclone missile launcher). The chaplain is cool but a bit superfluous for a shooting terminator squad. I would recommend a Librarian to join them instead. Plus the terminator librarian model is AMAZING. Well the chaplain model is cool too, but I'd save the chaplain for a squad of assault terminators (with some TH/SS love) in a Land Raider (crusader or redeemer preferably) which you may wish to invest in for the future should you like your army.

How do you plan to equip the command squad? It looks like you plan to have this army footslog as I don't see any armor/mech other then the dred (which may not last long with all of your opponent's AT gunning for it). You also need some form of anti-tank, especially if your friend is going to start playing imperial guard.

This also may have been better to post in the "Space Marine army lists" section which you can enter via the link at the top of the Space Marine forum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
-Just a little side note, me and my friend bought the AoBR set each and we built up from there, me SM him Orks-
Sorry for the incorrect forum, and thanks for the great adivce, so yes, it is just one Tac squad, and an ordinary multi melta then...
So you suggest I dont have the chaplain in the termie squad?? I was looking at the librarian before and he DOES look amazing but what shooting capabilities does he have over the chaplain??
And I dont know if im doing anything wrong but the Dreadnaught doesnt seem to either get killed or kill anything major anyway, he just seems to be... there, not doing much...
So how about If I go for this=
Captain w/ command squad
Ordinary (AoBR) termie squad w/ Librarian
*CC Termies w/ Chaplain ??
Tactical Squad x2 (each with a rhino, eventually)
Sternguard Squad
Dreadnaught (AoBR setup)
Dev Squad
*Thunderfire cannon and/ or Sniper scouts
*scout squad
Assault squad x2

Now I have a few problems here, this list may be illegal... as I am not aloud that many HQ's am I?? or can I class the Chaplain or librarian as something else??
and I have 4 HQ's right?? thats the max isnt it??

this would take a while to buy all of this from what I have now but I just want to get it sorted in my head...
Thanks
-Raze

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Sense you are mostly doing AoBR Orks vs Space Marines it does change my advice slightly. You don't have to worry about anti-tank much in that case, although the deff-koptas could be a problem for your Dred if he uses them correctly.

Chaplains are for assault, not for shooting. The Librarian has powers that can be used in the shooting faze, or for general support of the army which make him far better for the support role that normal terminators tend to be. Librarians can also take a storm shield if they are in Terminator armor making them a bit tougher to kill then the chaplain. You will have to find the bit for the Storm shield separately however as it does not come with the model. I would really recommend buying the bit you need for a special weapon for the terminators, its really worth it. Even if they are just "AoBR" you can still find special weapon bits online from the normal kit. The Cyclone missile launcher can be attached with minimal fuss, it just goes right on top of the model. You may even be able to convert something that could count as one with the hunter killer missile bits that come with the Rhinos you plan to invest in.

And you are only allowed 2 HQ. 4 HQ if you are playing space wolves. I mentioned the Chaplain and Assault Terminators in a Land Raider as an option to get later if you liked playing space marines. Owning multiple HQs just gives you more variety in your list making.

You should consider a transport for the Sternguard as well.

Thunderfire cannon is a neat model, really hard to assemble, but not very competitive as it tends to die pretty easy, just to warn you. Fun to use tho, so don't let that stop you.

Assault Squads are good, especially with a power armor chaplain with a jump pack. Can't go wrong with them.

Devastator squads can cost a lot of points if you go crazy on the heavy weapons. Most prefer to set them up with Missile Launchers which can be quite useful. Las cannons are a bit to many points. I like Vindicators and predators for the heavy support role myself.

I'd start with the basics for now and keep your list simple until you get a feel for your army and your play style. You like assault? Get some assault marines and/or assault terminators (and probably a land raider for the terminators). You like massed bolter fire? Get some rhinos or drop pods for your tactical and sternguard squads. All in all space marines are very versatile so balanced list making is the best way to go. Hope this helps.

And one more thing, if you decide to play competitive, a lot of people like playing "mech" which means lots of tanks/vehicles. Melta is your friend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks!! Ive had Lots of great help on this site, but this is by far the most useful I have ever recieved... I have the army planned out now, you have helped me GREATLY!! Im going to use this thread as a reference when building my army up.
thanks again!!
-Raze

1 - 7 of 7 Posts