Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Son of LO
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the army I would like to build towards. However I won't own all the models for some time.

HQ

Lieutenant Vein armed with a pair of master crafted lightning claws, spiky bits, daemonic strength, daemonic mutation, infiltrate, daemonic fire, frag grenades, MoCU-146

Elites

Veins Elite (retinue)
7 chosen armed with ccw's, pistols, 2 plasma pistols, 1 meltagun, infiltrate, frag grenades MoCU
Aspiring champion Fey armed with power weapon, pistol, sorceror, warp talisman, wind of chaos, infiltrate, demon icon, frag grenades, MoCU
Aspiring champion Tarius armed with power fist, pistol, infiltrate, MoCU-338

10 possessed armed with khornate chainaxes, daemonic visage, mark of khorne-300

12 plague marines armed with bolters, mark of nurgle-228

Troops

5 flamers of tzeentch-115

9 nurglings-90

Heavy Support

Land Raider armed with warp amp, blasphemous rune, smoke launchers-283

1500 points
46 models
1 vehicle

Basically Vein and his retinue infiltrate forwards into some good cover so they don’t get blasted 1st turn. The nurglings are in the demon icon and jump forwards to tie up enemy shooting. Vein charges in after them to deal some damage. The khorne possessed drive forwards in the land raider and support Vein while giving their opponents up to -11 leadership.:shifty: The flamers of Tzeentch and the plague marines provide tough fire support and will have to survive if Vein’s plan fails. The Land Raider provides the armies lascannons as well as transport the possessed.

Any help would be appreciated. I don’t think I’ve got enough anti-tank.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
It's a nice idea.. unfortunately, I don't think it's legal because I don't think nurglings count as a troops slot for FOC purposes.

Also, I'd question the tactical wisdom of that land raider.. it doesn't seem to me like it's going to do a lot save carry the possessed around (wasting two turns of shooting) and then maybe kill a few models each turn. Then again, I never think land raiders are worth it unless you're paranoid about losing predators (which carry almost as much firepower) or rhinos, which are cheap. :)

·
Son of LO
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oops i forgot nurglings aren't summoned so they can't be inside the demon icon. Ok that's now a basic icon leaving me 20 points to spare.

The land raider provides me with much needed lascannons and it ends up cheaper then a rhino and predator. Cheaper in money too. Also what other vehicle is going to survive long enough to stuff up their morale so much.

·
389 Posts
LordLink said:
The khorne possessed drive forwards in the land raider and support Vein while giving their opponents up to -11 leadership.:shifty: QUOTE]

How does that work out? As I read the rules it would be -2 leadership, still ok, but usually a daemonic gift most people take to save some points.

Arizzar

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
LordLink said:
The land raider provides me with much needed lascannons and it ends up cheaper then a rhino and predator. Cheaper in money too. Also what other vehicle is going to survive long enough to stuff up their morale so much.
A predator can field more lascannon shots, and I fail to see how, without taking half the upgrades in the book, you can get one to the point where it and a rhino cost more than a landraider. If you're concerned about it dying, give it mutated hull.. it has the same front armour as a raider and it still comes out much cheaper.

A predator will also be more useful. The trouble with the land raider is that it's one tank with two roles.. It has lascannons, so it's a long range fire support tank.. but no, it also has transport capacity, so you have to charge it forward to deliver troops.

Result, you're either not going to be moving as fast as you could, or you won't be firing any weapons for a while. A predator, on the other hand, could sit statically at the far end of the board and blast your enemy's lines with lascannon fire, while a rhino, hopefully while the enemy are distracted with your infiltrators, can race up the middle.. Result = more shots for less points.

As for the warp amp.. Okay, you've got a lot of morale reducing stuff.. But where are the pinning weapons to exploit it?

·
Son of LO
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes -11 leadership is highly unlikely it was just the best i could get to. warp amp, blasphemouis rune, visage, outnumbering and enemy below 50% work out to -11.

Are you trying to tell me the land raider is now useless? these are the perfect conditions for a land raider and it's still useless? I need a transpot vehicle for an expensive unit...Land Raider, I need a vehicle that can get close to the enemy and still survive...Land Raider, I need a vehicle that will provide me with decent lascannon support...Land Raider, I need a vehicle that will scare firepower away from Vein...Land Raider.

These are the perfect circumstances for a Land Raider, if it doesn't work here I don't see how it could be used in any chaos/loyalist marine army.

I don't have enough points to field an indirect defiler and that's the only pinning weapon chaos has.

Don't take me wrong i'm not whinging I appreciate all the advice.:)

ps: nurglings do take up a troops slot so it's perfectly legal.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
LordLink said:
Are you trying to tell me the land raider is now useless? these are the perfect conditions for a land raider and it's still useless? I need a transpot vehicle for an expensive unit...Land Raider, I need a vehicle that can get close to the enemy and still survive...Land Raider, I need a vehicle that will provide me with decent lascannon support...Land Raider, I need a vehicle that will scare firepower away from Vein...Land Raider.
I'm not saying the land raider is useless.. I'm merely saying that it's built for several different roles, all of which you're paying through the nose for, and it can only perform one of those at a time.

So you're not getting any lascannon support while you're transporting, for example.

It also doesn't have that much firepower. 2 lascannons and a heavy bolter for 250 points? Okay, they're all twin linked and thus fairly reliable, but it's still a little obscene.

It's the 'general' tank, the one which can do anything, but which costs so much it's not cost effective to use it for any one of those things. You need to be able to use it for all of them, and under 4th ed rules.. you can't. If you move, you can't shoot.

Also, it's not invulnerable.. a meltagun will still penetrate it 50% of the time, and if it dies, points ahoy for your enemy!

All I'm saying is that I don't like them, and I wouldn't use one. You can if you so wish, of course, and I wish you the best of luck. You may well be right about its merits.

I don't have enough points to field an indirect defiler and that's the only pinning weapon chaos has.
Wrong, there's the blastmaster..

If you're going to use a warp amp, I'd suggest dropping the plague marines and getting a squad of noise marine havocs.. As far as I can see, the plague marines and nurglings are just going to spend the game footslogging towards the enemy to get in range. At least noise marines will be able to do that and still pin the enemy with high frequency blastmaster shots.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Landraiders

One thing that is good about land raiders are that they are seen as a pot of gold to the enemy and therefore alot of the time the enemy get overcome by a sorta landraider fever. This can be takin to your advantage because the enemy will most likly direct fire at the landraider that really should be going towards more immidiate threats.

This being said landraiders arnt inpossible to destroy but if your lucky the enemy will waste alot of time focusing on it while you go about your real plan.

I use 2 landraiders because I almost always loose 1 but almost never loose 2. Most of the time the casue of its death is a random lucky glancing hit from a long rang melta gun or a krak missile but thats why I have 2.

Although evan when you have 2 you cant be crazy and take the whole enimes fire on them. You just need to provide a wall or distraction where needed for your troops to get close or to just not be shot at.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Landraiders part 2

Also if you move 6inchs you can still fire all your weapons because of deamon possesion which comes standard with chaos landraiders. Usually if you move 6 you can only fire 1 twin las and 1 twin heavy bolt but in this case the deamon fires the other twin las at BS 2.

So it is able to move 6 a turn and still fire everything. Even if the tank crew are stunned the deamon can still move the tank 6 straight ahead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts