Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity everyone if i was to run an army with 9 flyers (3 squadrons of 3) what would be the best way to run them? The two ways that i have been considering are:

#1:
-x6 Vendettas w/ Heavy Bolter Door Gunners
-x3 Valkyries w/ Heavy Bolter Door Gunners, Rocket Pods, Nose Mounted Lascannon

#2:
-x3 Vendettas w/ Heavy Bolter Door Gunners
-x6 Valkyries w/ Heavy Bolter Door Gunners, Rocket Pods, Nose Mounted Lascannon

Just wanted to know what you all think and if you guys run a Air Cav list your insight and help will be very much appriciated, thanks!​

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Just out of curiosity everyone if i was to run an army with 9 flyers (3 squadrons of 3) what would be the best way to run them? The two ways that i have been considering are:

#1:

#2:

Just wanted to know what you all think and if you guys run a Air Cav list your insight and help will be very much appriciated, thanks!​
I'm not a fan of squadrons. Losing a 140 point model to an immobilise result does not sit well with me. running 9 gunships sounds impractical and uneconomic from a point perspective. The models are large and would run the risk of getting in each other's way on a standard table.

The minimum points list I can come up with to field 9 transports and the troops to field them weighs in at 1940 points. I skipped the Lascannons on the valkyries as it seems a waste of points. Fewer shots at BS3 for 15 extra points in a list that sports 18 TL lascannon seemed silly.

HQ:

CCS - 4x Meltagun

Troops:

Veteran Squad - 3x Meltagun

Infantry Platoon
PCS - 4x Flamer
Infantry Squad - Flamer
Infantry Squad - Flamer
SWS - 3x Meltagun
SWS - 3x Meltagun

Fast Attack:

Valkyrie Squadron (3) - 2xMRP, HB sponsons

Vendetta Squadron (3) - HB Sponsons

Vendetta Squadron (3) - HB Sponsons

Between the two configurations suggested, I favor this one. It gets your infantry close, and maximizes the number of special weapons brought to bear, and fills all of your transports. This has been covered in other threads, but consensus is, that Vendettas outperform Valkyries.

This kind of list will also make treadheads say bad things about your parentage and personal habits. It also is vulnerable to mech tau and Mech eldar, and well as guard players fielding hydra batteries, Going last can be very very very bad as you lose some of the advantages of the scout trait inherent in your transports.

All of that aside, it is a neat concept. Let me know how you deal with it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
In my opinion, Lascannons aren't a great weapon for Valkyries. I prefer to run them as anti-personnel gunships, with Multilas and Rocket Pods. This obviously isn't optimal against MEQs, but is good for anti-horde: other Guard, Orks, Nids, etc. There are those who will claim that Vendettas are always better than Valkyries, but I find that a Multilaser+MRPs Valk can lay down a significant amount of anti-infantry hurt whilst still moving at 12" per turn, whereas a Vendetta is limited to 6" to make full use of its weapons.

That said, if you've already assembled the flyers with the weapons as stated above, I'd recommend Option 1 (Vendettas are just so good), and take the Valks without door gunners to improve their mobility a little. This goes double if you intend to use them as transports as well as as gun platforms.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
The vendetta/valk issue have been covered elsewhere. In my opinion, if you're running valkyries, carry AT squads. If you're running Vendettas, carry anti-infantry squads. This will allow you to severly impair a mech list if you can get the first hit in. I'd suggest an inquisitor and appropriate wargear to skew the first turn roll, if points allow. DH inquisitor and imperial tarot leap to mind. Grabbing a psychic hood would allow him to be a futher nuissance to anyone packing a farseer or weirdboy.

·
Airborne
1,664 Posts
Did you really just mention wierdboys? *shakes head*

IG need to pop transports like it's an olympic event and you don't get a free pass on this by running air cav. Vendettas are really the only way to run a successful air cav list. No ratios, just vendettas. You aren't losing anything by not having valkyries in the list. Also 9 is far too many. You hit a point of diminishing returns after 2 per squadron where you still aren't engaging more targets and you're really aren't doing more damage either.

A single elite inquisitor with the tarot and double mystics is always cute and only 47 pts. Easily worth it and you don't exactly have fierce competition for elite slots.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Did you really just mention wierdboys? *shakes head*

IG need to pop transports like it's an olympic event and you don't get a free pass on this by running air cav. Vendettas are really the only way to run a successful air cav list. No ratios, just vendettas. You aren't losing anything by not having valkyries in the list. Also 9 is far too many. You hit a point of diminishing returns after 2 per squadron where you still aren't engaging more targets and you're really aren't doing more damage either.

A single elite inquisitor with the tarot and double mystics is always cute and only 47 pts. Easily worth it and you don't exactly have fierce competition for elite slots.
Yes I said weirdboy. While they can be comical, seeing a free waagh is not a fun sight to unmounted guardsmen. Killing them can be a pain when they're stuck in a squad of 30 boyz. Str10 auto hits are bad for anything. Warpcraft is bad. Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium.

·
NCIS fan
818 Posts

#1:

#2:

The new squadron rules in 5th really hamper you, and to be safe I use one ship in each FA slot. In my opinion, squadrons just help give away kill points.

I go anti-tanking with the 2 hellstrikes/ lascannon on the valkyrie. I refuse to dish out the money for FW kits, and my conversion skills are just not good enough to make TL-las from LR sprues.

I'm doing pretty well with this setup, and I wouldn't suggest HB gunners with it.

If you want rocket pods, on your valkyire, keep the multi-laser. This combo is quite good at anti-troop fire. The HB gunners go nicely here, too.

Not sure if I'll be keeping the AT valkyire around longer, as my 3 demolishers have taken out tanks.

:beer:

·
Registered
98 Posts
... 2 hellstrikes/ lascannon on the valkyrie...

I'm doing pretty well with this setup, and I wouldn't suggest HB gunners with it.
Really? I'd have thought that firing only one weapon per turn (because the missiles are Ordnance) would hamper you somewhat.

Do you not find this to be the case?

·
NCIS fan
818 Posts
Really? I'd have thought that firing only one weapon per turn (because the missiles are Ordnance) would hamper you somewhat.

Do you not find this to be the case?

It does.

I try to stay in protected locations, and aim for a target's side/rear armor.

Like I stated before, I'm using three demolishers now so I probably drop this AT valkyire.

I might use it as an anti-skimmer unit, but I don't think it'll fair much better in that role.

:beer:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts