Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi. i was just wondering what your view on veteran skills is?
i see most of them as useless and a normal marine is good enough as it is. infiltrate seems like the best option out of the lot but i play with khorne and cant use that. people say use furious charge but if i did that i would be 1 sqaud less of berserkers. Anyway mainly they seem quite expensive to add to the cost of a normal marine. how do u take advantage of these?? just give them to elite troops in the army, or give them to all/most your troops?
just wondering what u think.

·
907 Posts
Yeah, I agree that they are too expensive. I only consider infiltrate, and that's only if the board is big enough that rhino's wouldn't be better. Maybe I just play smal games, cuz it's usually better to take rhino's.
Plus, I play Nurgle so my infantry are freakishly expensive already.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Depending what type of army you play they are either extremely useful, or do not apply. I notice you say you use Bezerkers, do you play World Eaters or Black Legion or general Undivided. Each skill has its use as outlined in the codex, and certain lists-Nightlords/Alpha Legion, receive a little help in the vetern skill category. I personally use furious charge and inflitrate in my Iron Warrior list depending the layout and the use for the squad. Some squads who are CC oriented get furious charge, others who are static fire get infiltrate pending their weapon options.

Everything in the Chaos Codex has a use and purpose, vetern skills can be incredibly useful, for example in some games i know i'm getting charged and will not be the one charging, thus i use counter attack, which allows me to get all my figures into combat if i'm charged. That's just one example, there are countless others. Some may not pertain to your army lay out at all.

·
Spiky
768 Posts
The veteran skills can be used as replacement for mark of chaos when you want to create your own chapter. For example, you might want your army to infiltrate and react to charge, then you give all your CSM the Infiltrate and Counter Attack Vet. Skills and they cost the same price as regular god specific legion.

Now, I will agree with anyone saying that these are usualy not as good as full fledged chaos marks, but it can be a nice paliative.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Abraham Lincoln said:
Yeah, I agree that they are too expensive. I only consider infiltrate, and that's only if the board is big enough that rhino's wouldn't be better. Maybe I just play smal games, cuz it's usually better to take rhino's.
Plus, I play Nurgle so my infantry are freakishly expensive already.
I just wanted to throw out that, no matter what you do, Infiltrate for an entire squad is at least 20 or so points less than a Rhino, and will get you rather close to the enemy.

In effect, Infiltrate will get you to any objective you want that's not breaking any rules...

IMO, Infiltrate is wonderful.

In most Chaos armies, a Mark of Chaos is chosen, however - so, usually, there isn't room to take more than one Veteran skill, and Infiltrate is the best. Furious Charge is a close second for me, as it can be quite useful to get that extra strength and initiative vs. some enemies..

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I notice you say you use Bezerkers, do you play World Eaters or Black Legion or general Undivided
i play worldeaters. so maybe furious charge, but i am quite happy with the list i have already.

Everything in the Chaos Codex has a use and purpose
even blight grenades....for 25 pts????

The veteran skills can be used as replacement for mark of chaos when you want to create your own chapter. For example, you might want your army to infiltrate and react to charge, then you give all your CSM the Infiltrate and Counter Attack Vet. Skills and they cost the same price as regular god specific legion.
thats a kool idea i never thought of it like that.

but also infiltrate cant be used in every single mission. if you know what mission you are playing before you write an army list then obviously veteran skills will be more useful in some respects but for a standard list i dont see much in them. i would prefer the extra troops

·
Spiky
768 Posts
Retard said:
even blight grenades....for 25 pts????
I do use Blight Grenades, and they are great if used carefully :yes:

·
I hate Ultramarines
1,297 Posts
I use furious charge on my Berserker squads. The increased stats help me alot because i usually end up playing against SM armies. Its always a good thing to not be attacking simultaneously against SM(only when you have the higher initiative obviously)

·
Swarm Queen of LO
1,174 Posts
I have mixed feelings about Furious Charge since I play Emperor's Children. I like to use it because our sacred number is so small it usually pays off to deal the extra wounds. The initiative bonus has saved my life many times against things like Eldar and 'Nids, but 90% of my games are against space marines or chaos marines, so it's just a bit of overkill.

·
389 Posts
Verteran skills are expensive for a reason, and that reason is that they allow you to tailor make your army to suit you. Lets take infiltrate. Most people agree that infiltrate is a rather good veteran skill. With infiltrate you can get one of your heavy support choices to set up last in stead of first. A huge benefit, and usually it is well worth the points since it gives the squad a whole new set of options. And just show me a khorne player who would not give infiltrate to most of his berzerkers if he had the chance :wacko:

Giving furious charge to a squad of berzerkers upgrades them from some of the best cc troops in the game to some of the best cc troops in the game. In my opinion not that much of an upgrade. And, as grimmtu mentioned, giving furious charge to slaaneshi marines is nice, but you only get about half the bonus out of it since you are already faster than most regular troops.

use veteran skills to boost one squad that has a special job to do. Giving them to all you squads is just making your troops more expensive.

Arizzar

1 - 10 of 10 Posts