Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I'm writing up a 1200 point guard list, and was wondering whether or not to include a veteran squad led by Gunnery Sgt Harker. I was thinking of doing it partially just because I have an idea for a nice model to represent him (Mercenary Kroot with Heavy Bolter!). Besides the Rule of Cool, though, is there any reason to take him? If I did, how should I gear up the rest of the squad?

One of my ideas was to give them shotguns and grenade launchers, so they could act as a mobile fire support unit, maybe putting pressure on the side armour of transports early in the game. Now, this would cost 140 points, which can get me another fully-geared infantry squad to add to my blob, as well as a Special Weapons Squad, for light fire support and a cheap scoring unit/distraction.

Are Harker's special rules (Stealth, Infiltrate etc.) actually useful, or just an overpriced gimmick? Of course, I might just take him for fun regardless of what anyone says, I'm not shooting for an ultra-competitive list. I'd still like to hear about him from some more experienced players though. Has anyone here used him to good effect? Anyone taken him and been disappointed? What squad load out did you use?

Cheers, Lobster

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
If you add in 3x GLs and play with plenty of cover then you can run him around laying down torrent fire at range. It's a pretty good backfield unit that can camp an objective and harrass enemy units, maybe drawing disproprotionate amounts of fire. 3+ cover saves are nice. If you take a lot of shots go to ground for a 2+ ! That's always funny if they waste a blast template on you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking, it seems like it would be a good distracting unit- and if it survives it can claim objectives. It's still pretty expensive points-wise.

Anyone out there that swears by this unit? Or has an alternative layout? Would it be worth chucking a heavy weapon in, for instance?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
If I took Harker i'd take oppurtunity for some outflanking/infilitating meltabombs or meltaguns.

Although storm troopers can do this for cheaper and have the option to deep strike, if you outflank either unit can use a chimera but the stromtroopers can scout up with their chimera.

Its not a great unit although there are worse things you could spend points on.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My opinion is that if you want a heavy bolter for your vets, just buy a Chimera! It comes with it, and costs about the same!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Go for it, definitely. I use Harker in almost every list. The ability to Outflank combined with Stealth means you can come up through area terrain and present a plethora of special weapons. Depending on my enemy, I use flamers against horde armies and plasma guns against power armour. If I don't know what I'm going to face, I go plasma anyway. With a BS of 4 and rulings that will make the unit benefit greatly from cover, you have a very capable unit of taking out enemy stragglers, heavy support or even things up when your more common BS of 3 isn't statistically working for you.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The thing to keep in mind with the lesser seen characters like Harker is that he will present a challenge most players aren't used to. He has a 3+ save in cover and carries a heavy bolter like a devastator. In a lot of ways he makes your vets more like MEQs than standard guardsmen and that's not what most people

The tendency with units like that is to either over compensate and throw everything into taking them out, or you underestimate them and they inflict a lot of damage. Over time the uncertainty will reduce and he will be less effective. If I was making a "standard" list I'd leave him on the shelf but for a few games I think he will punch well above his weight.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a good point about the fact that he's not seen very much. I didn't really think about the big-picture effect of his tabletop presence, or what my opponent would think. I'm thinking more and more that a unit with BS4, 3 Special Weapons and a Heavy Bolter with a 3+ armour save is pretty damn useful to have around- especially given that in the end they're still Troops!

·
The Dark Knight
2,091 Posts
Harker is pretty awesome when I take him I usually give his squad camo cloaks and snare mines so his squad gets a +2 cover save. It's always fun watching your opponent waste shots on them and running up to you while being shot by plasma guns.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
My trick with this squad has been to take a HB and 3x GL and demolitions. Outflanking this unit is a great way to contest a table quarter and provide some anti infantry fire support from an annoying position.

G

·
If you add in 3x GLs and play with plenty of cover then you can run him around laying down torrent fire at range. It's a pretty good backfield unit that can camp an objective and harrass enemy units, maybe drawing disproprotionate amounts of fire. 3+ cover saves are nice. If you take a lot of shots go to ground for a 2+ ! That's always funny if they waste a blast template on you.
Haha, I Lol'd at that bit about the wasting a pie plate. I will use Harker myself later on probably, but that's not in competitive games, it will be a fluffy campaign thing for my own uses.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Harker is pretty awesome when I take him I usually give his squad camo cloaks and snare mines so his squad gets a +2 cover save. It's always fun watching your opponent waste shots on them and running up to you while being shot by plasma guns.
Hey Nacho, are you giving him +2 to his cover save normally? The cloaks give the squad Stealth, as does Harker, and I don't think they stack, so it would be a 3+ normal cover save and only 2+ for going to ground, unless I'm missing something like a FAQ or something. LOL @ 10 guardsman With Terminator saves, I'm sure that's pissed some people off.

·
Proud banner bearer of LO
945 Posts
Both confer the Stealth rule and don't stack, in the same way having someone with Feel No Pain somehow buying another thing that grants FNP doesn't boost their FNP save So you're right about a 3+ cover save. But either way, Harker saves having you having to pay for Forward Sentries, along with his heavy bolter of doom (I modelled mine as an MG42) makes him rather good value, so subtract the cost of camo cloaks from Harker's points, and that's essentially how much he really is. :)

Also, is it true you could outflank in a Chimera to bring even more firepower onto the rear echelons of the enemy? Basically, doing the usual chimera-melta drive-by, but being unexpected like the Spanish Inquisition?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts