Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of weapons do you guys give your veteren squads?

So far i Got a Squad with 3 Gernade Launchers, and a squad with 3 Plasma Guns.

I think giving Flamers to a veteren squad is a bad idea, and from what i hear giving 3 sniper rifles to vets is unwise.

I was thinking about giving them meltas, but i honestly think it's a bad idea considering they would get shot up in their flak armor. I have tanks and HW squads for tank hunting.

Are vet squads with Heavy weapon teams a good idea? If so, what Heavy weapons do you give them, and do you give the squad anything else?

thx for the input guys

·
Registered
195 Posts
Actually, Veteran squads with Meltas mounted in a Chimera is one of our most effective ways of handling tanks. Either Veterans or PCS/CCS, that is, commonly known as the Chimelta.

Your tanks and HWS will be able to handle armour moderatly well, but once thoose AV14 things start popping up, you'll want the Meltas to pop that LR/Monolith/Etc. So i'd actually advice towards getting at least one Chimelta into your army, as this IS our Nr.1 armour threat for most people.
And, as you're worried about them dying, think about it like this:
Isn't 155pts worth it to for instance strand a unit of Terminators to foot-slog the rest of the way to your lines? And, if you're lucky, them being busy with killing the unit will delay them for a turn or two.
I mean, it might work something like this:
You drive up, pop the tank, the termies get out, they charge your Chimera and pop it, putting your Veterans out in the open, now they have the option to fire at the Termies, maybe killing one or two of them (IF you're lucky), they charge your Vets (Or put gunfire that could be used elsewhere on them), and they'll be stuck there for a phase fighting you. And, also. After they've popped your Chimera, they'll be nicely bunched for a, well, I don't know, a Demolisher shell, perhaps? ^^

HW's in Veterans can work, but i'd suggest something like an Autocannon or so, just in case they need to sit back on an objective or so. Or, of you TRULY want them anti-tank, get them a ML or Lascannon, altough that will be a lot of pts spent on a unit that will most of the time die after their melta-charge.

Good luck in your games, whatever you choose to do! ^^

Cheers ^^

·
975 Posts
My most common opponent when i play guard is orks and crons. I have come to the conclusion that my youngest brother is a necron tomb spyder because his crons do not die unless he has to take massive amounts of saves. They are worse then terminators.

So in order to force these saves i always take at least one unit of flamer toting vets in a chimera. And suprisingly no this squad rarely dies. THey always toast the unit of orks they are engaging and usually crons have more important things to shoot at than a unit of guard vets with flamers.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Moon's got some good advice there. I'd advise taking at least 2 Chimelta for most armies.

Autocannon/Grenade Launcher works well for foot Vets. I've also used Lascannon/Plasma to good effect (Die Hive Tyrant!), but you MUST keep your HQ around to give them orders or they'll kill themselves quick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.