Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Objective: Break through
Score 1VP for each unit in the enemies deployment zone. Characters/IC do not count.

Set up:
Dawn of War

Table:

ist 1
Tzeentch Daemons 2000 Points CAD

Ther'onx - Seer of Blood Battles
Lord of Change - (warlord) 2x Greater Rewards, ML3, Impossible Robe (320)

Herious - Keeper of Mortal Tears
Lord of Change - 2x Greater Rewards, ML3, Paradox (320)

Horrors of the Warp
Pink Horrors x13 - Iridescent Horror (122)

Phalanx of Chaos
Pink Horrors x13 - Iridescent Horror (122)

Plunderers of Eye
Pink Horrors x12 - Iridescent Horror (113)

Terrors of the Empyrean
Pink Horrors x12 - Iridescent Horror (113)

Tzeentch's Winged Swords
Screamers of Tzeentch x5 (125)

Z'thioun Siege Engine of Tzeentch
Soul Grinder of Tzeentch - Phlegm Bombardment (170)

In'sention War Engine of Tzeentch

Quintonix Death Engine of Tzeentch

1995 Points

General Tactics: this list as is generates 14 Warp charges so spending those charges are paramount. The idea is to try and divide the types of psychic powers into roles: The Warlord LOC will look for buffing and damage powers. Also he will be looking to increase his invulnerable save by one so he has a 2 up rerollable save. The second LOC will be looking to summon. The Pink Horrors will have one unit with summoning powers, the others will have damage spells.

The Screamers are to try and hit the armoured vehicles and the Soul Grinders are to hit soft armour and any units outside of vehicles. In the case of units that are less likely to be injured by the Phlegm Bombardment, the Grinders could advance with the Screamers.

The LOC models may advance as well staying within their defined roles already outlined with their psyker powers. In most cases the LOC will be flying to try and keep safe while buffing, summoning and shooting targets.
List 2

HQ
x1 Chapter Master - 265
. Thunder Hammer, The Shield Eternal, Bike, Auspex, Digital Weapons
x1 Chapter Master - 270
. The Axe of Medusa, Grav Pistol, The Gorgon's Chain, Bike, Auspex, Digital Weapons

Troops
x4 Bikers - 114
. 2 Grav Guns
x4 Bikers - 114
. 2 Grav Guns
x4 Bikers
. 2 Grav Guns

Heavy Support
x1 Thunderfire Cannon - 100
x1 Thunderfire Cannon - 100
x1 Whirlwind Scorpius - 170
. Extra Armor, Battle Of Keylek Legacy

Space Marine AD, Salamanders Chapter Tactics
HQ
x1 Chapter Master - 275
. Drakesmiter, The Salamander's Mantle, Combi-Melta, Auspex, Digital Weapons, Bike

Troops

x4 Bikers - 94
. 2 Flamers

Heavy Support
x3 Quad Mortar Support Batteries - 180

Inquisitorial Detachment
x1 Inquisitor Karamazov - 200

There's just one thing this list was meant to do, and that's KILL KILL KILL. Sure, capturing objectives is nice (and I have a nice couple of Biker squads to do that), but you can't hold objectives if you're dead. Which the opposing player will be.

One thing immediately noticed is that I put almost half my points into just a few characters. Thanks to Salamanders getting a relic for EW, I now have a set of Chapter Masters that will just be too damn hard to kill without throwing entire armies at them. They each have an Orbital Bombardment to throw on their first turn in the field, and after that they can use their Auspexes to help support the rest of the list.
Outside of the Chapter Masters is Karamazov, who will camp with either the Quad Batteries or a Thunderfire (or even just stay by himself in cover, depending on how much AP2 the opponent has) and unleash his own bombardments each turn. The nice thing about the durable Chapter Masters is that he can target them on purpose and not get any scatters. That'll help if I just thrust the bikes up next to a squad but don't want to charge that one specifically.

Outside the Bikers, which we all know and love and therefore need little introduction to their role, all the rest of the points are in Heavy Support. Thunderfires got an amazing boost with Techmarines all being W2 (and 6+++/IWND makes them even more durable), and then I added the Scorpius variant of the Whirlwind. It gets Ignores Cover with that relic, which means I can launch D3+1 S8 AP3 Blasts that don't where you're camping. Awesome.
Rounding that out is the Quad Mortar Support Batteries. These are THE ultimate multitool. Getting a choice of either 12 S8 4 Sunder shots or 12 S5 Pinning Blasts ensures you're not going anywhere. AA isn't even an issue because of how many shots are put out.

This is definitely a unique all-comers that I'm excited to see go into action metaphorically.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Having the grav guns pointed out I'm actually going to flip flop and change my mind. That hurts the marines a lot in this. Whilst I still think their heavy weapons will make a mess of the demons big stuff the grav guns are going to have a hard time killing stuff. DEMONS for me now

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I don't know about that; those Grav Guns are going to be wounding on 6s as Daemons don't have armour saves, which takes a lot of the punch out of the Bikes' ranged game. The Thunderfires and Quads will be deadly against the Horrors, but not really all that effective against the Soul Grinders, flying Lords of Change, or even the Screamers (Jinking and being able to spread out to mitigate Blast templates).

The important thing here is that just like last time, Victory Points come from being in your opponent's deployment zone and not from Kill Points, so the Daemons can pretty much deepstrike right into scoring, and if the Marines want to score they have to race the Bikes to the far side of the board, which will take them out of the fight, so it becomes a matter of "Can the Marines kill enough Daemons fast enough to stop them from scoring and still make it to the other side of the board in time to score themselves". I would say no, as the Marines simply lack the necessary units.

If this was Kill Points, probably Marines. But with VP coming from being in your opponent's deployment zone and Summoning shenanigans, I'd have to go Daemons for the win.

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
Daemons

Deep Striking and Summoning squads should be able to tie up and dispose of the artillery quite nicely and the soul grinders are going to put some hurt on the bike squads, the cheesestick characters can be tied down with summoned squads.

Given the objectives, the SM player is going to have to make a choice of guarding the artillery or going for the VP's, something that, through Summoning shenanigans, the Daemons can accomplish and keep the SM's distracted. If it was straight up Kill Points, then yeah, SM would probably win, but, with these VP's, yeah, Daemons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts