Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. Here we are again. This time playing the Necrons those sorry damn mechanic bastards.

Well dont go saying "try and force them to phase out" I know that already. What I ask for is advice to use with DH in particular against them and not general advice against them.

For example I am worried for the following things...

Necron lord with that scythe. Means I shouldnt field any termies basically, especially no GM or he would die in an instant. That thing is like the Callidus but with a decent strength and toughness and wounds and will be back.

Monolith. Well... meltas dont work so no ISTs for me. Only choice? 3 dreads with TLLC/ML and missile launcher. Launcher glances on 6s, TLLC glances on 5s and 6s. To be honest... I dont like those odds... Furthermore, it heals his warriors or teleports them AND it has a pie plate of doom to kill my normal marines.

Last but not least... destroyers and wraitghs. Faster than I could ever hope to capture or outflank and pretty deadly in numbers.

So there we are... tips and ideas of how to fight them in general and what to take on 2000 points?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hello! My main opponent is a necron player, so I do play them quite often, and I think I'm working up a pretty good set of paradigms for their defeat.

First off, I wouldn't give up on melta and IST's... the fact that they're doubling the warriors toughness means that they forgo wbb rolls, and that's huge. The AP1 obviously helps there, but it's also pretty important against the monolith as well, since those elusive 6's will at least count as penetrating.

I play WH/DH and Dark Angels, and with my Inquisition forces I don't run anything over S8. I have so many melta weapons that are mechanized that they can rush wherever they're needed and put the hurt on. I also run an exorcist, which helps, but it doesn't sound like you'll be privy to that, but I would keep the meltas and back 'em up with the dreads you mentioned.

The Dreads I think are a really good idea. I don't run any with my Inquisition because I feel I have sufficient alternatives, but when playing DA I run 3 dreads, and if I have the opportunity to tailor my list at all before playing 'crons, I give 'em TLLC's, and make it their sole mission to bring down the monolith, and they handle this task pretty well.

I make the monolith first priority, as it seems that lal my necron victories are marked by the monolith being destroyed! Games where I didn't, I suffered. While it's alive, it simply affords the necron player with too much flexibility; they can flee from combat, allow the wraiths to threaten 18", and worst of all; that SECOND SHOT at wbb.

So I make it a priority to bring the monolith down.

I would definitely field terminators if I were you. You are right to fear the warscythes; that motherf***** destroyed my 3 dreadnoughts and 4 deathwing on monday. I kept killing him and he just kept getting up. (I will never send a dreadnought into battle with lord again). But that's not where you'll be sending your terminators, so don't sweat it! Stick it to Pariahs, wraiths, destroyers, bugs, immortals; basically anything else, but run from those I4 scythes if you can help it and you'll be fine. I've sent my GKT's against a lord before in a clinch, and they came out on top, but just barely; you're right to avoid that.

If he runs c'tan, just run away, but it doesn't look like you'll have to worry about that!

Wraiths shouldn't be too a big of a deal for you; Psycannons tear them to shreds, and against models with a decent save Wraiths really suffer, so back up those ISTs with Knights of some kind. Naturally that Asterisk is frustrating, but in my experience...as long as you keep them in combat with units possessing 3+ or better saves, they really won't be as effective as you might initially think, and if you get a chance to put a psycannon or incinerator on 'em, you're golden.

Destroyers...are pretty resilient. Your best bet is to wipe the whole squad out at once to avoid wbb, and hopefully you'll have dealt with the monolith by the time you venture this so they don't get recycled. If you run some small, mechanized IST units with a pair of meltas each, ideally you'll be able to converge on them with some support from the dreads. Quantity of shot is a pretty big waste of time against them (IMO), as their high toughness and 2 or 3 opportunities to save make it pretty futile. THere doesn't seem to be a real good answer (short of a vindicator...) to 'em apart from just old fashioned, high S, low AP weapons.

·
1,256 Posts
So the only army I consistantly dominate with my DH is my brothers Necron.
The keys are
-Ignore the monolith, which can be tough. Extra WBB rolls are a nuissence, but saving the point on dreads gets you more PAGK.
-Bring Terminators, the eat the necrons and are very resiliant because of the lack of AP2 weapons. And I always bring a grandmaster because he owns the Lord, (fights first with a forceweapon that hits and wounds on 3s).
-A callidus assassin is very valueable because of its ability to kill destroyers and heavy destroyers, the Eversor is nice aswell but not as reliable because it doesn't always make it to combat.
-PAGKs are the best weapon against the necrons because they can will fights, and force the Necrons to retreat and be cut down which is the best way to kill them.
-Stormies tend not to do well because their save is easily negated, and their transport often doesn't get where it is supposed to go.

Those are my keys to victory.

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
Very much what nichodemus10 says. To emphasize:

* I know you said you know this, but it cannot be emphasized strongly enough. Go for phase-out. Do not be distracted by any other objective. It does not matter what the mission is, or what the special rules are. Your one and only aim is to phase the necrons out. Period, end of story.

This means that you do not waste time attacking anything that doesn't have the Necron special rule. You do not shoot or assault pariahs, nor scarabs, nor tomb spyders, nor even C'Tan. You do not ever shoot at the Monolith. The more you put the fear of phase-out into your opponent, the more defensively he will be forced to play.

Regarding the monolith specifically, remember that it cannot both shoot at enemies and teleport Necrons through the portal. By going straight for Necrons and phase-out, you force the 'cron player to recognize how he's wasted points on his 'liths, how that cuts into his ability to avoid phase-out, and he'll be forced to TP 'crons as a defensive measure to get as many WBB rolls as possible. This is A Good Thing. They can't make all their WBB rolls. It's only a matter of time.

* Always focus fire and assaults on one unit at a time. If an entire unit is wounded, none of them get any WBB rolls. Only after an entire unit has been elminated do you move on to the next.

* Target destroyers first. Once destroyers are gone, the game should be yours.

* Do not take vehicles of any kind! Those are free points for Necrons, and they take away from your true strength, which is the ability to outshoot and out-assault the entire Necron army list (save for Destroyers).

* Pack in as many vanilla GKs as you can. GKs can both outshoot and out-assault everything the 'cron player can field ... save Destroyers. And Destroyers are only good for shooting. In assault, GKs eat them for lunch. Shoot down the destroyers, and then advance upon the 'crons and put the fear of phase-out into them. Don't bother with any other DH units, you don't need them. GKTs are fine, but don't go too overboard. You can actually match 'crons in numbers if you take PAGKs, and even outnumber them if the player foolishly invests in monoliths and C'Tan.

I've never yet lost to Necrons; these principles have never failed me yet.

Reactions: Xilconic

·
Registered
534 Posts
the two above already said it all.

Just keep hunting the necron like units, and you'll do fine. Because you play GK, you don't have to fear Scarabs, but otherwise you shouldn't neglect those, because these units are the best Tarpit units in my oppinion. Without instakilling, taking out all the scarabs in CC can be very tedious to do :0

·
877 Posts
Well looks like I am a little late as everything has been said. But just to give you an idea of a good anti cron list this is what I take if I know I will be facing them. (destroyers die first and just ignore monoliths)

HQ = Brother-Captain + 4 GKT = 320 points
- psycannon, holocaust
- 1 w/ psycannon
HQ = Canoness = 128 points
- jump pack, blessed weapon, cloak of St. Aspira, brazier of holy fire, frag + krak grenades

Elites = 6 GKT = 291 points
Elites = 6 GKT = 291 points

Troops = 8 PAGK = 225 points
Troops = 8 PAGK = 225 points

Fast Attack = 8 PAGK = 225 points
Fast Attack = 8 PAGK = 225 points

Heavy Support = Lance Strike = 70 points

Total = 2000
This list has done really well for me vs crons in the past.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.