Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my first game of apocalypse i took a lot of hurt from the orbital bombardment strategic asset my buddy played. Now in two weeks its gonna be me and an orc player vs him(space marines) and a IG player in a apoc game and i know he is goin to play the chapter masters, battle company, and take the orb bomb asset. That will make 2 a round and 3 one round, and it insta kills crisis suits and only broadsides get a save vs it. Anyone have any idea's on how i can minimize the damage and lose's i take from this constant pounding? And that bombardment dosent roll to drift, and he HATE'S anything with stealth so im rather sure stealth suits and sniper drone teams will be the first to die. And any general advice on playing tau in apocalypse would be appreciated as well.

·
resident iconoclast
791 Posts
First off, your post isn't entirely clear, but it looks like you might be misunderstanding how the Orbital Bombardment Asset works.

First off, it only happens once. If you pick that asset, you get one bombardment, and you must roll dice to see what turn you get to use it. Once you use it, it's done.

Second, if the Marine player picks Orbital Bombardment as his asset, the Ork player can't (if they're on a team).

So, if the Marine player takes the Masters of the Chapter (and gets one instance of the Bombardment from that) and picks Bombardment as his Asset, he'll get two Bombardments. They might come in on the same turn or on different turns, but he'll only get to place two templates, all game, period.

As for what you should do, play bunkers.

They're great. You can pack all of your infantry and even your Crisis and Stealth Suits in there. While inside, they gain a 3+ cover save and they can't be assaulted. The bunker can be destroyed, but even when it's destroyed it's difficult terrain and 4+ cover.

What does this do? Well, let's say your Crisis Suits are in a bunker. When he goes to hit them with the Orbital Bombardment, he has to decided whether his Bombardment is hitting the bunker or the guys inside. He can't pick both (it's in the Bunker rules, which are in the back of the BGB).

If he picks your guys, you get your 3+ cover save, and he probably won't destroy the bunker (though he does have a chance). If he picks the bunker, he won't hurt your guys, and he might kill the bunker.

As long as the bunker's 'alive' your guys inside it can't be assaulted (which is what he's going to be trying to do with his Marines) so he has to try to blow those bunkers up.

Anyway, either way he goes, your bunker has seriously lessened the amount of damage that Orbital Bombardment is doing to your guys. (even when the bunker is destroyed, your guys don't suffer any damage or penalties).

A guide to cheap and effective bunkers.

Now, the problem with bunkers is that they require terrain pieces. Around here, though, we generally just use sheets of paper. Here's what you do:

Cut a circle out of plain white printer paper. The circle should be eight inches in diameter.

Along its circumference, mark one length of approximately 2" to be the one door. Then, mark 20 one inch segments to serve as firing ports. They should be spaced around the circumference of the circle, each about 1/8" from the next.

This means that up to 20 models can fire out of the Bunker in a turn, so don't put many more than that number of guys inside each one. Make six of these 'bunker templates', since that's how many you get with the Asset.

Reactions: Lizardkyng

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you west!! He has been useing it every turn so i thought i was goin to take it most every turn from the assest and the one you get from playing the battle company. Thanks for clearing that up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.