Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the W40K basing kit (Citadel Warhammer 40,000 Basing Kit | Games Workshop).

When I glue the mini on top of the ready made bases, should I make some "footholds" first (flatten some holes into the base) or just glue the mini on it and fill in the cracks with some extra sand? Which is best?

Also, I was wondering if the larger bases are in standard size - they seem to be wider than any of the bases that I have.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
By ready made bases you mean the resin ones? I'd say Pin the models in and put it on top, then fill the gap with gs/sand. Resin is a little too brittle to be making subtle foot shaped holes in :p

And the bases are slightly larger than 40mm. Not too much larger though. They overhang slightly.

Hope I helped :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh, this was my question exactly. And thanks - I think pinning and filling the gaps is what I should do.

I don't get it - why did they make the larger bases "too large"? The bigger bases (in AoBR set) are 36mm (top part of the base) and the resin bases in the basing kit are 45mm. I'd like to glue them onto the plastic bases so that they'd be more in line with the other minis. I'll have to think a bit more how to use them.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I don't get it - why did they make the larger bases "too large"? The bigger bases (in AoBR set) are 36mm (top part of the base) and the resin bases in the basing kit are 45mm. I'd like to glue them onto the plastic bases so that they'd be more in line with the other minis. I'll have to think a bit more how to use them.
Hmm. Mine came out at about 40mm. They only overhang slightly(1/2 mm)
Try sanding down the edges to be the right side. Be carefull not to breath in the dust though! Resin dust is very dangerous(Cancerous, and causes a myriad of breathing problems!)
I wouldn't reccomend cutting it to size though. Rezin's a bit too brittle for that IMO.

·
650 Posts
40K bases are 25mm, 40mm, 60mm, and 120mm oval. If you got a smaller resin base, I noticed that there are companies that target the Privateer Press bases (Warmachine/Hordes) which has a smaller middle area and fills out with a lip. The resin made for them fit into the middle section. I cannot speak for the basing kit though.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The kit that I have is from GW. Hmm... I think I'll write to them and ask what they were thinking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts