Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have two hundred dollars to start a Tau army and was wondering what I should buiy to start. I am definately considering a battleforce though.

Thank you and your advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
A bit more info would be helpfull, do you want a farsight enclave(battlesuit heavy), Kroot heavy? Tell us what you like and we'll give it a shot.

For core I'd say a codex, a battleforce and a crisis commander. Play a few games with that small army and see where you want to go from there. I for example chose the path of the farsight enclave.

If you wanted a basic allround tau force I'd say 2 battleforces and the commander then chose the rest of your army on fluff/looks. One thing to remember though is that warhammer isn't all pen and paper-by that i mean just because somethings got good stats or good guns doesn't mean it will be good. Playing style enters into it.

But that's just my oppinion. Hope it helped.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you that does help

·
1,206 Posts
Well a mate of mine decided to buy his tau bit by bit off of ebay. He spent about what you are suggesting including postage and got:

1 Ethereal
8 Crisis Suits
1 team Stealth
38 Fire Warriors
27 Kroot including a shaper
20 Drones
1 Piranha
2 Broadside
2 Hammerhead

Some had bad paint jobs but were easy enough to paint over. What he didn't get doing it that way was all the spare bitz off the sprues and rather randomly the feet off of one crisis suit. He actually kept on going and now has about 6k points worth of tau, all form ebay at a fraction of new.

Its not how I'd personally do it as I like new and I like assembling models myself. However even if you want brand new a lot of ebay sellers sell new sprues at about 10% less than GW prices.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I went the ebay route for my Tau too - I probably spent the equivalent of $300.

I got two battleforces and a hammerhead from a UK based seller who was offering about 18% off GW (battleforces for £41 inc P&P)

I got a further old style battleforce (the one with 3 crisis suits and no devilfish), 5 pathfinders and another hammerhead in another auction on ebay for about £45, although one crisis suit turned out to be missing :(.

For my army I didn't want kroot (going with tau xenophobes :) ), so I then sold the Kroot back on ebay an average of £12 per 12 warriors (£36 total). I used this money I made to fund another three battlesuits in an auction for a total of £20.

I then used the Tank commanders from each of the vehicles for conversions to make an ethereal, a sniper drone spotter and two more fire warrior shas'ui. There are more than enough drones amongst the boxes to use some as sheild drones, some as gun drones and (with a bit of snipping of the long vehicle antennas) 3 sniper drones.

This gives me

Ethereal
7 battlesuits
6 stealth suits
5 pathfinders
38 fire warriors
2 marker drones
a ton of gun/sheild drones (using 2 antennae to show shield)
sniper drone team + spotter
2 devilfish
2 hammerheads

I've also magnetised the suits to keep weapon options as flexible as possible, and have built the hammerheads as fully interchangeable into devilfish if needs be.

This is enough stuff for a 2000pt list and when I tried it out the other night against my mate's marines, I shot him off the table :)

Now I just have to paint it all... :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a small Tau Army in the process of making. I'm going for the OP shooty type. my friend has played Tau for 6 years+ and knows how to make the army OP and annoying.

I wouldn't ever play a etheral. If he dies they all got to make a leadership role and if the normally fail like they do they all flee. Which is a bad thing.

I go with Crisis Suits Mixture of Forge World and GW
Broadside Forge World and GW
Fire Warriors Mixture of carbine and pulse
Stealth Suits
Sniper Drones
Commander
Skyray's
hammerheads

·
Registered
305 Posts
To the OP, i have a Tau army i started but never really got into if you are interested in it. It is close to 1500 points (going by the 3rd ed codex). Very little is assembled and even less is painted.

This is a rough estimate of what i have (i will update with an exact item count and some pictures)

3 Battlesuits (painted)
2 Broadsides (assembled & primered)
1 Hammerhead (painted, guns swapable)
1 Devilfish (painted)
30-40 Fire Warriors (partally assembled [arms and guns not attached], some primed, some minor paint
12 drones (unassembled)

what is painted is not bad but not the greatest, stripping it should not be a problem and would even be beneficial if you wish to reconfigure the suits. I painted these before i assembled them so they should fall apart when stripped.

PS i live about an hr and a half from you so if you wanted we could forgo shipping and i could hand deliver the army.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are they third edition? Do the third edition ones look different. Please upload some pictures

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
If I were to start all over again, here's what I'd do.

1. Aim for 1000 pt army. Maybe start playing at 500 pts - 750 pts or so, but with 1000 pts on hand, you can play a decent variety of games at a decent number of points levels and get a real feel for how various units function. It will also give you a variety of things to paint to help stave off boredom.

2. Try and use units that most people seem to employ in their common configurations. (E.g., Fireknife commanders, railheads with burst cannons, etc.) This will give you a sense of what most people do, and let you decide if you like it or not without committing yourself entirely to those units builds or style of play. With only 1000 pts of models, you maintain a great deal of freedom for what you add/expand into. The most common configurations aren't always going to be what appeals to you or your playstyle, but they won't be awful, either, and you will at least have a solid baseline for comparisons.

3. Do it as cheap as possible. :)

With these guidelines, I came up with the following.

HQ
[97 pts] Shas'el, plasma rifle, missile pod, targeting array, hard-wired multi-tracker
[97 pts] Shas'el, plasma rifle, missile pod, targeting array, hard-wired multi-tracker

Elite
[190 pts] 6 XV25 Stealths, team leader, bonding knife

Troops
[230 pts] 12 Fire Warriors,Shas'ui, bonding knife; Devilfish, multi-tracker, disruption pods
[135 pts] 12 Fire Warriors,Shas'ui, bonding knife
[84 pts] 12 Kroot

Heavy
[165 pts] Hammerhead, railgun, burst cannons, multi-tracker, disruption pods
Total: 998 pts

Built around the Tau Battleforce -- and adding in a Crisis suit box, a Stealth suit box, a box of Fire Warriors, and a Skyray (never buy a hammerhead box; the skyray has everything you need for the hammerhead plus you get the skyray sprue as well) -- it would only cost you around US$130 - US$140.

This is pretty tweakable, too. For example, replace the additional Stealths with a Devilfish and you can go 100% mechanized, ending up with almost the same army points and money outlay, but a different army to play with.

Good luck!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Are they third edition? Do the third edition ones look different. Please upload some pictures

i bought my Tau army battleforce box the week it came out. so far everything is identical to current models, i dont think they recut any plastics when they made the current codex.

·
Registered
305 Posts
yea looking at the Gw website it seems they just added new thinks like the Skyray, the Pihrana and some HQ and elite choices.

ok i took a peek at what i have for Tau

i have

3 Battlesuits
48 Fire Warriors
12 Drones
1 Devilfish
3 Broadsides
1 Hammerhead

none of the Fire Warriors have their arms or weapons attached and there are extra bits from the battlesuits and broadsides if you wish to reconfigure them.

This army new retails for $340, i will sell it for $170.
I can provide pictures this weekend.

a small problem this weekend, i can take pictures but the camera won't upload to the PC

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so then no pictures huh?

·
368 Posts
I believe the 3rd edition models he was talking about are the original stealth suits- as opposed to the newer XV-25 bigger plastic stealthsuits. that, and the newer models released with the newer codex (piranha, skyray, snipers, etc)

BUT. since none of the models listed in his old battleforce has stealthsuits, none of that really matters.

A devilfish is still a devilfish, a Crisis is still a Crisis, a broadsides and hammerheads remain unchanged, etc.

Regarding eBay, a more reassuring way to buy armies at a discount- if you are wary of individual sales- is to buy direct from eBay STORES- many of which offer a 20% discount if you in fact purchase through eBay. Theyre real stores, that use eBay as a mailorder service with built-in secured payment features. Buying through eBay actually does the store a favor by making everything easier. Thus the huge discount.

·
Registered
305 Posts
taking pictures isn't the problem, my compy has decided to not like the camera anymore and will not upload, it has been a busy weekend and i'm still trying to figure a workaround.

UPDATE! i got the camera to work so i will take some pictures this week and upload them for your viewling pleasure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts