Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the codex a few times, and really like the idea of a shooty footslogger list (as opposed to my Rhino rush Khorne army), but as I have no experience using/playing against them, I really dont know what works or not. I also really like land speeders and dreadnoughts, but I worry if those are the only vehicles in my army, that they will be the target of every enemy AT weapon.

Anyway, I came up with three 2000 pt 'all-comer' lists that I kind of like... but am not sure in which direction I should go. If you could just tell me of any 'major' problems you might foresee with these lists, and perhaps which one you like the best and why would be great. I would mainly use this army for friendly/semi-competitve games. I am leaning towards either List #1 or #2.

List #1

Rune Priest x4
Chooser of the Slain
Living Lightning
'some other power'
110 pts each (go with the Grey Hunters)

Wolf Guard Pack x3
x4 wolf guard
x4 storm bolters
x1 wolf guard
T. armour w/ CML
147 pts each

Grey Hunters Pack x4
x10 grey hunters
x2 melta guns
mark of wulfen
170 pts each

Long Fang Pack x3
x6 long fangs
x5 missile launchers
140 pts each

1981 Pts

List #2

Rune Priest x1
Chooser of the Slain
Living Lightning
'some other power'
110 pts

Wolf Guard Pack x1
x3 wolf gaurd
x3 power fists
114 pts (split up and go with the Grey Hunters)

Dreadnought x2
x2 TL autocannons
125 pts each

Grey Hunter Pack x3
x10 grey hunters
x2 melta guns
mark of wulfen
170 pts each

Land Speeder Squadron x3
x2 land speeders
x2 TML
180 pts each

Long Fang Pack x3
x6 long fangs
x5 missile launchers
140 pts each

1944 pts

List #3

Logan Grimnar x1
275 pts

Rune Priest x1
Chooser of the slain
living lightning
'some other power'
110 pts

Scouts x3
x4 scouts
x4 sniper rifles
x1 scout
Missile launcher
97 pts each

Wolf Guard Pack x6
x4 wolf guard
x4 storm bolters
x1 wolf guard
T. armour w/ CML
147 pts each

Long Fang Pack x3
x6 long fangs
x5 missile launchers
140 pts each

1978 pts

I would add... something to fill in the remaining points.
With list #3, can Wolf Guard Packs also be taken as Elites (so can I have 9 of them)?
I am also not really a fan of scouts... but couldn't see any other 'foot-based' shooty unit in the Elite section.

I know it is a long post... but thank you for all of your help !!!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
In a Logan army, Wolf Guard are only available as troops.

You've also got a massively wrong setup for the Wolf Scouts - check the Behind Enemy Lines rule, being able to come in off of ANY table edge on a 3+ is a massive advantage. I run them with a meltagun, a Wolf Guard with a combi-melta, and occasionally some plasma pistols if I have the extra points. It's an amazingly useful way to kill backfield units like IG artillery, Broadsides, and the like.

I suggest modifying the first list - drop 2 of the WG units for Wolf Scouts as I suggested above, and use the third to provide well armed pack leaders for the rest of your army. Also keep in mind that each of your Rune Priests needs to be at least *slightly* different.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the Wolf Guard are then able to infiltrate with the Wolf Scouts? That's cool.

Rereading about the Chooser of the Slain, it sounds like they will work for any Rune Priest. If so, are four of them necessary?

Taking your advice.. List #1 might look something like this...

Rune Priest x2
Chooser of the Slain
Living Lightning
'some other power'
110 pts each (go with the Grey Hunters)

Rune Priest x2
Living Lightning
'some other power'
100 pts each (go with the Grey Hunters)

Wolf Guard Pack x1
x6 wolf guard
x6 Power Fists
x2 combi-meltas
238 pts (splits up and goes with Grey Hunters and Wolf Scouts)

Wolf Scouts x2
x5 wolf scouts
x1 meltagun
85 pts each

Grey Hunters Pack x4
x10 grey hunters
x1 flamer
x1 meltagun (free)
mark of wulfen
165 pts each

Long Fang Pack x3
x6 long fangs
x5 missile launchers
140 pts each

1908 Pts

Getting rid of two of the Chooser of the Slains, and downgrading the meltaguns to flamers in the Grey Hunter Packs, leaves me with 92 pts to personalize the Rune Priests (something I would very much like to do), and possibly fill out the Wolf Scout Packs a bit more.

Do you think the all of the Power Fists are necessary on the Wolf Guard?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
It's "the choose", not "a chooser". Each Rune Priest has his own separate icon. Though with D6 shots from each casting, you could probably skip on them entirely if you need the points.

The powerfists add a fair bit, but they cost a lot. Those 6 fists cost you 120 points - you could get most of another squad for Grey Hunters for that. I prefer to do without them, but there's good arguements either way. I've gotten more play out of the combi-meltas though, tbh.

I also heavily reccomend taking double melta on the Grey Hunter squad - they Grey Hunters themselves will handle hordes just fine between their armour and CC attacks, but the extra AT will be invaluable for an army like this.

My suggestion is to take combi-meltas on all of your Wolf Guard, and meltaguns instead of Flamers for your Grey Hunters, and use the leftover points to beef up the scouts and Rune Priests a bit. If you can free up the points, you could also look into a couple 5 man squads of GH with a plasmagun and a combi-plasma WG for some backfield fire support and objective capturing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checking the codex... it is "Chooser of the Slain".

Anyway, here is the way List #1 is shaping up.

Rune Priest
Chooser of the slain
Living Lightning
Murderous Hurricane
110 pts (goes with the Grey Hunters)

Rune Priest
Living Lightning
Murderous Hurricane
100 pts (Goes with the Grey Hunters)

Rune Priest
Wolf tail talisman
Chooser of the Slain
Living Lightning
Murderous Hurricane
115 pts (Goes with the Grey Hunters)

Rune Priest
Wolftooth necklace
Living Lightning
Murderous Hurricane
110 pts (Goes with the Grey Hunters)

Wolf Guard Pack
x6 Wolf Guards
x6 Combi-meltas
138 pts (splits up to go with the Grey Hunters and Wolf Scouts)

Wolf Scout Pack x2
x9 Wolf Scouts
Meltagun
Mark of the Wulfen
160 pts each

Grey Hunter Pack x4
x10 Grey Hunters
x2 Meltagun
Mark of the Wulfen
170 pts each

Long Fangs Pack x3
x6 Long Fangs
x5 Missile Launchers
140 pts each

1993 pts
88 models

And for the Wolf Scout Packs... do you think it is better to keep the bolt pistol/cc weapon or to exchange them all for bolters?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
lol, I was talking about the wording of the rule itself. It means that each Chooser only works for the Rune Priest it was purchased for.

Anyways, the list looks good. I'd suggest BP/CCW for the Wolf Scouts, and spending that last few points on some meltabombs for one of the Rune Priests. Otherwise, play it a few times and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well, it has been nearly a month, but I finally had the chance to proxy this list.
I wont go into any details of how it played. Oh, I won the game, I just did not enjoy using this list so much. It is missing some of my favorite units. Namely the Dreadnought and Land Speeders. To me, it just isn't a Space Marine army without those.

So I have come up with a new list to work towards. As it turns out, it has now turned into a 2500 pt army. It is similar to List #2 earlier. I guess I just want a more 'characterful' army, but I still want one that can win (at least half of the games). So tell me what you think about it. My real concern is that there are too few vehicles (all of which with low armor) that will draw the attention of every AT weapon.

Wolf Guard Battle Leader
Terminator Armor
Wolf Claw
115 pts

Rune Priest
100 pts

Rune Priest
Chooser of the Slain
110 pts

Rune Priest
Wolf Tail Talisman
105 pts

Wolf Guard Pack
x4 Wolf Guard w/ Terminator Armor
x3 Wolf Claw
x1 Cyclone Missile Launcher
x1 Chainfist
x3 Wolf Guard
x3 Power fist
306 pts

Dreadnought
x2 TL autocannons
125 pts

Dreadnought
x1 Plasma Cannon
x1 Missile Launcher
125 pts

Grey Hunter Pack x3
x10 Grey Hunters
x2 Meltagun
Wolf Standard
Mark of Wulfen
180 pts each

Land Speeder Squadron x3
x2 Land Speeder
x2 Typhoon Missile Launcher
180 pts each

Long Fang Pack x3
x6 Long Fangs
x5 Missile Launcher
140 pts each

2486 pts
67 models

The Wolf Guard Battle Leader goes with the Terminators, and the other three Wolf Guard go with the Grey Hunters.

*edit* oops, just realized I had itemized point values.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Well, it has been nearly a month, but I finally had the chance to proxy this list.
I wont go into any details of how it played. Oh, I won the game, I just did not enjoy using this list so much. It is missing some of my favorite units. Namely the Dreadnought and Land Speeders. To me, it just isn't a Space Marine army without those.

So I have come up with a new list to work towards. As it turns out, it has now turned into a 2500 pt army. It is similar to List #2 earlier. I guess I just want a more 'characterful' army, but I still want one that can win (at least half of the games). So tell me what you think about it. My real concern is that there are too few vehicles (all of which with low armor) that will draw the attention of every AT weapon.

Wolf Guard Battle Leader 70
Terminator Armor 40
Wolf Claw 5
115 pts

Rune Priest 100
100 pts

Rune Priest 100
Chooser of the Slain 10
110 pts

Rune Priest 100
Wolf Tail Talisman 5
105 pts

In all honesty, you don't need more than two rune priests. Gear up two rune priests, and bulk up the battle leader.

Wolf Guard Pack
x4 Wolf Guard w/ Terminator Armor 33
x3 Wolf Claw 5
x1 Cyclone Missile Launcher 30
x1 Chainfist 15
x3 Wolf Guard 18
x3 Power fist 20
306 pts

This can be tailored a little more.

Dreadnought 105
x2 TL autocannons 10
125 pts

Dreadnought 105
x1 Plasma Cannon 10
x1 Missile Launcher 10
125 pts

Your list has enough anti-vehicle potential as is, plus a missile launcher is better off in the hands of a long fang pack, WG terminator, or a land speeder.

Grey Hunter Pack x3
x10 Grey Hunters 15
x2 Meltagun 5 + free
Wolf Standard 10
Mark of Wulfen 15
180 pts each

Drop the 10th GH in each pack for a WG with power fist and a combi-melta.

Land Speeder Squadron x3
x2 Land Speeder 50
x2 Typhoon Missile Launcher 40
180 pts each

I prefer one speeder per a fast attack slot, as this gives you much more flexibility. Speeder should always have the HF/MM combo, if they aren't sporting a typhoon missile launcher.

Long Fang Pack x3
x6 Long Fangs 15
x5 Missile Launcher 10
140 pts each

I'm looking at 2 packs of 5, 4 missile launchers, and some added help ...

2486 pts
67 models

The Wolf Guard Battle Leader goes with the Terminators, and the other three Wolf Guard go with the Grey Hunters.

It took me a bit, but I believe I've come up with a 2500 point list you'll be happy with ...

2497/2500

HQ - Wolf Guard Battle Leader ( joins WG terminators in redeemer ) in terminator armor, storm shield, wolf claw, wolftooth necklace, wolf tail talisman, saga of the beastslayer = 165

HQ - Rune Priest ( with a LF pack ) in terminator armor, choosen of the slain, wolftooth necklace, wolf tail talisman = 145

HQ - Rune Priest ( in rhino with GH & WG ) with a chooser of the slain, wolftooth necklace, wolf tail talisman = 125

Elites - Wolf Guard in terminator armor & combi-plasma
Wolf Guard in terminator armor, combi-plasma, & wolf claw
Wolf Guard in terminator armor, combi-melta
Wolf Guard in terminator armor, combi-melta & chainfist
Wolf Guard in terminator armor, combi-plasma & cyclone missile launcher
Land Raider Redeemer with extra armor = 495 ( squad total )

4 Wolf Guard with a combi-melta & power fist = 43 each ( 172 total )

Elites - Dreadnought ( with a LF pack ) with twin-linked lascannon, heavy flamer ( on DCCW ), & wolf tail talisman = 145

Troops - 3 x 9 Grey Hunters ( led by WG ), 1 with meltagun, 1 with MotW, wolf standard, in a rhino = 200 each ( 600 total )

Troops#4 - 8 Grey Hunters ( led by WG & RP ), 1 with meltagun, 1 with MotW, wolf standard, in a rhino = 185

FA - 1 Land Speeder with heavy flamer & multi-melta = 70

FA - 1 Land Speeder with heavy flamer & multi-melta = 70

FA - 1 Land Speeder with a typhoon missile launcher = 90

HS - 4 Long Fangs & 1 Squad Leader ( RPT ) with 4 MLs = 115

HS - 4 Long Fangs & 1 Squad Leader ( Dread ) with 4 MLs = 115

1. The WGBL leds the pack of WG in terminator armor. The squad is mounted in the Redeemer.

2. The RP in terminator armor, and the Dreadnought, are attached to a Long Fang pack each.

3. The 4 WG with PF&CM lead each GH pack in a rhino.

4. The second RP goes with the 8man GH pack led by a WG ( total 10 models ).

5. The 2 HF/MM Speeders rush forward to pop the tanks. After that, they can fly around popping transports, tau battlesuits, and frying squads. The Typhoon Speeder hangs back in a comfy position and helps out the LFs or chooses its own targets.

Not having played games over 2K, I took my current ( and nasty ) SW list and added 500 more points of nasty.

Hope I helped :victory:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.