Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick question about wargear. I play Dark Eldar and Im not sure about the exact cost for wargear in some of my squads. The reason being is because the codex states under the Warrior options:

"Up to two models in the squad may be armed with either a dark lance or a splinter cannon at +10 pts."

I'm assuming it means you can get two SC's or lances in your squad by only spending 10 pts, but some people have said that means 10 pts PER SC or lance. The reason I think it means two heavy weapons for 10 pts is because in a different place in the codex it states under the Ravager Options that:

"Any of the dark lances may be upgraded to a disintegrator at a cost of +5 pts each."

Here it says "each", unlike before in the warrior wargear option entry. So, is my original thought of being able to get two splinter cannons/dark lances for +10 pts right? Or is there something I'm missing, and I actually have to spend 10 pts per splinter cannon/dark lance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The age of the codex is irrelevant. This post is about the wording, not about how you think that nothing in the codex matters because of how old it is. Either way, the codex surpasses the rules no matter what, and just because it is an older codex, doesnt mean that the writers were illiterate. Why in one part of the Codex would they put "each" after one entry, then have "up to" in another?

·
Airborne
1,664 Posts
The age of the codex is relevant, many wordings have changed since then.

"Up to two models in the squad may be armed with either a dark lance or a splinter cannon at +10 pts."

Another annotation here is that it doesn't have to say each because it says "up to two". Are we to understand that giving one model the weapon cost the same points as giving them both the weapons? The way you are reading it, that's actually what it says which makes far less sense.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it is the latest edition of the codex, first of all. And what I am saying is yes, the cost of 1 cannon/dark lance would be the same as 2. It's just giving you the option in case you did want to bring an extra rifle as oppose to a cannon or dark lance. Honestly, every person I've shown this passage has read it the same way as I do. Also, why would they put in two seperate parts of the Codex where one says specifically that it is pts "each"?

·
3,395 Posts
It's just the way the 3rd ed books were written - i.e :
"Up to four Dominions may be armed with one of the following special weapons: a flamer at +x points, a meltagun at +xx points or a storm bolter at +x points" (old 3rd ed WH codex)

If you want to be picky about the wording then yes you pay your 10 points for two guys. And you get A dark lance or A splinter cannon, because that's what is written. They can share it, one of them gets to actually hold and fire it.

If you want two then you pay the listed cost twice like everyone else.

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
Now this is interesting. Under Dark Eldar Retinue, it does say "up to 2 DE warriors may be armed with either a splinter cannon at +10pts each or a dark lance at 15pts each". However, under the troops, it is as you say. So technically, you are right to be able to get 2 for only 10pts for troops, though I don't really think that is the intent of the authors. I mean, 10pts for 2 dark lances by themselves or 30pts if in a retinue? And in any other codex, it's (meaning special or heavy weapons) always bought for as each. Just be wary of people crying cheese or broken when you tell them.

If you want to be picky about the wording then yes you pay your 10 points for two guys. And you get A dark lance or A splinter cannon, because that's what is written. They can share it, one of them gets to actually hold and fire it.
Lol....that's funny.

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
"(Up to two) (models in the squad may be armed with either a dark lance or a splinter cannon at +10 pts.)"

"(Up to two models in the squad may be armed with either a dark lance or a splinter cannon) (at +10 pts.)"

The first is a complete rule in the second clause that then has a modifier in the form of the subordinate clause.

The second is an incomplete and unusable rule that requires the subordinate clause in order to be playable.

Which is more correct?

Also, why would they put in two seperate parts of the Codex where one says specifically that it is pts "each"?
Why would they? Only the guy who wrote the book can answer that question. It's a purely speculative logical fallacy to base an argument on such an assertion.

--

I also like AT's hilarious RAW retaliation. "Here's your Dark Lance boys, now the two of you make sure to play nice and share it."

·
Fun guy from Yuggoth
772 Posts
So your argument is that because it specifies '+ X each' in one part of the codex but doesn't state 'each' in this one, it must have meant '+X in total'... even though they didn't actually see fit to write that either? If you want anyone to believe that this one weapon differs from the usual point cost of every other weapon in the game, and against common sense by giving you a variable amount of weapon upgrades for a set cost, you really need stronger evidence.

EDIT: Looks like you were the quicker one this time around, IA!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Rep for that totaly, people who try to read to far into the rules to try to get one by you, when its obviously wrong need to guy the whole 9 yards.

Now we just need a DE model with his hands in his pockets...

·
Airborne
1,664 Posts
Now now, I assume you've seen "Enemy at the Gates", one gets issued the gun, the other gets issued the ammo.

But I'm almost thinking a Splinter Rifle toting DE isn't that far away from someone with his hands in his pockets ;)

·
Registered
259 Posts
It's just the way the 3rd ed books were written - i.e :
"Up to four Dominions may be armed with one of the following special weapons: a flamer at +x points, a meltagun at +xx points or a storm bolter at +x points" (old 3rd ed WH codex)

Lol, agreed completely. It is obvious that the intention of the rules is for each heavy weapon upgrade to cost 10 pts and that you can upgrade a maximum of two times, not 10 pts for both. Typos like this happen all the time with the codices and you simply have to use a bit of common sense and honesty in their interpretation. I'm willing to bet that when a new DE dex comes out (soon hopefully, you guys really need one) there will be other mistakes similar to this one.

·
2,434 Posts
If you want to be picky about the wording then yes you pay your 10 points for two guys. They can share it, one of them gets to actually hold and fire it.
Lol would love to see that one guy holding the weapon the other hands out begging for his go :). Anyway its been covered its cenrtainlly 10pts each, some people just try and cheat the system, i mean come on its 10pts of a dark lance and your still trying to conn and get 2 for one, its not a super market!

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
Lol would love to see that one guy holding the weapon the other hands out begging for his go :). Anyway its been covered its cenrtainlly 10pts each, some people just try and cheat the system, i mean come on its 10pts of a dark lance and your still trying to conn and get 2 for one, its not a super market!
I wish I could buy a Dark Lance at Tesco :(

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 14:35 ----------

Why are you not this sarcastic usually? Comedy gold like this you should have us all in stitches every time we game :p

·
Registered
821 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts