Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Evening all.

Some of you may have seen my 40k medical stuff before, and well I'm afraid I've been tinkering again. I've been working on some simpler variants of the Officio Medicae / Imperial Guard Medic symbols to eventually turn into transfers (and for my more talent compatriots to paint freehand). I've put together a selection of those based on the caduceus/asclepius theme, which appears on the packs and helmets of Catachan/Cadian medic minis. The second row is of course based on the standard "I" symbol of branches of the Imperium. I've tried to be a bit more creative with some of these, and some I don't think work too well if I'm honest. But you may like them. I've tried not to deviate from the standard too much, as the only "official" one that deviated at all is the Arbites - the scales extend out of the circle (radical stuff...).

But I would like your opinions. From the list below, please could you pick two options from one of the winged caduceus symbols listed from A to D - this is probably the one that will appearing most commonly on troops, panniers, equipment and vehicles.

Also, please could you pick two from the Adeptus/Imperial branches "I" symbols listed 1 - 6. These will also appear on crates, panniers and outbuildings and the like. On one of these I have added some decorative gubbins (partly as an attempt at subliminally referencing the six-pointed Star of Life, and also a Red (or Black) Cross of sorts). If you like one of the I symbols without the gubbins but think they look good, just add that to your comments - and vice versa if you like the symbol they are already on (3) but think the gubbins are bloody awful, tell me.

Black Font Line Pattern Symbol

So which ones most clearly indicates medical, grimdark, 40k, and the Imperium? Or which ones look the coolest basically... thanks very much, your help is much appreciated. Once the votes have been rounded up and promptly counted, I'll upload the transfer sheet to my blog so you can all print out your own on transfer paper.

Any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask. There are higher res versions on my blog, and on DeviantArt here, but the idea is that they should be pretty clear at small sizes.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Well, they all look pretty good to be honest! But I guess if I had to pick favourites...

From the top row I think B and D look the most Imperial. The wings on A look a bit too Eldary and D just looks too much like C except with a circle that I kind of don't like.

For the I symbols... I'm not all that sure, I guess 3 and 6 kind of stand out for me as being the more medically inspired of the six. I do like 1 but I think it's just because it kind of reminds me of the Thousand Sons, which probably isn't the look you were going for!

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
From the top row, I'd go with A and B as the most Imperial looking of the three. If you could get the wings, snakes, and tip of the staff from A to form an actual triangle (right now the sides taper in where the snakes start) it would look a little better I think.

To be honest though, I don't like any of the ones on the bottom. Firstly, they all seem like they could be some kind of marking for the Brotherhood of the Snake chapter of space marines, and secondly the =][= is for the Inquisition only. The AdMech, AdSorroritas, and AdAstartes don't use the ][ or any variation of it at all. It's not he symbol for Adeptus, it's the symbol for Inquisition, so unless you're using these symbols on an Inquisitorial unit, I don't see a reason to have them. That said, 3 and 4 seem the most medically inclined to me, and would be what I'd use if I had to create an Inquisitorial medic for some reason.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks very much for the feedback, much appreciated

...and secondly the =][= is for the Inquisition only.
I'm afraid that's not true, the Adeptus Ministorum, Adeptus Astra Telepathica, Adeptus Arbites, Adeptus Astronomica and Administratum all use a version of the I above. As you initially showed above by typing the equals sign, it's I with horizontal bars that is the symbol of the Inquisition

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Ah... then that would be ][ for Imperium then? I didn't realize that. I always imagined it was ][ for Inquisition. Strange then that the AdMech and the AdAstartes don't also use it. The only reasoning that I can think of is that the current ][-guys are all under direct control of the Imperial Cult and recognize the Eclesiarchy, whereas the AdAdept answer to nobody and the AdMech are their own cult. Still doesn't answer for the AdSororitas but nobody cares about sisters anyways :p

Also, now that you mention it, wouldn't non-marine medics be members of the Munitorum staff and therefore just use a variation on that symbol (if they use a different symbol at all)?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
To be fair the Inquisition I does get more air time lol. That definitely makes sense for the Astartes and Mechanicum, plus I suppose the Sisters are under the Ministorum, so are included under that symb as well as their own. Or it could just be inconsistent design lol. The Assassins and Custodes have non-I symbols too. Have no idea what it stands for but Imperium sounds pretty damn reasonable :p

As for the non-marine medics, the symbol sculpted onto packs and helmets is pretty similar to the top 4. I did the first one before seeing them and then did the last three to more closely resemble the ones on Cadians/Catachans. Sisters Hospitallers I imagine would have their own symbol (sacred heart over knights hospitaller cross or similar? Maybe that's my next project :p). I imagined the top four to be badges for IG medics and an unofficial Medicae symbol, then the bottom ones as potentials for proper Officio Medicae symbol. Maybe there's a big crossover of staff/personnel and training as their is here with the NHS and Army Medical Services

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks chaps, as a bonus, here is how a Imperial Guard medic's brassard might look with symbol A....

It's a bit rushed but hopefully you get the idea

·
Interrogator-Chaplain
5,356 Posts
I would go with B for guard / arbitraitors and 4 for any Inquisitorial esque force. The marine model I have (the old helmet-less one with the bionic eye), has an Aquila with the winged squared dna helix one the shoulder pad and I think that is the predominant design that goes to apothecaries.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Pilot- I have a marine like that with the helix symbol on his Narthecium gauntlet. Now I'm curious to know if they use the Caduceus at all, or if all of their medical symbols use the square helix. It would make more sense, since most Imperial stuff is pretty boxy and industrial looking.

Edit: actually, I knew I'd seen one before! This is not a conversion, this is the medic from the IG Command Squad. Check out his helmet:

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
From the original versions I would go for C and 5. Version C is already there in the above IG helmet so it should be used, but if you want variation use symbol 5. It has the snakes with their faces meeting like in C.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks very much all, A was done before I had seen the Guard sculpts properly, B, C and D were done after I had seen the helmets and packs (Cadian and Catachan) and tried to match it more closely. The winked helix is a variant of the Prime Helix which is for Marines only. But I chose the twin snakes of the Cadeuceus over the more proper single Asclepius as it reflected the look of the helix.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts