Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

· Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was thinking with rules coming in February for Warmaster Araby some of us should get together and try to convert those rules to normal fantasy rules. If anybody would be up for working on it post here.

· Registered
170 Posts
Yeah I am all about doing this. I have wanted to work on a list like this for years. I would even be into doing some conversion work to get some visuals. I will look through the Army list and come up with some stuff. This will be great.

· Registered
170 Posts
Was talking to a warhammer buddy about this yesterday and we started talkin characters. In addition to Sultan Lord and whatever the hero level warrior would be called we thought the wizard should be a Vizir and Grand Vizir. We also thought that there should be another string of characters following the thief/assasin route. Perhaps another lvl 1/2 mage called a huckster who specializes in illusion/deciption magic rather than the desert sand magic of the Vizirs. THere would also need to be assassin/thieves and a Lord lvl Thief Guild Master.

About the Djinn, do you feel they should eb summoned once the battle has begun or just start as part of hte army.

Storyline wise what is their relationship with the Tomb Kings?

· Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We definatly could open up the mages so that they have maybe 3 schools to choose from. We could do Sands/Illusion/something else. Also I like the idea of the thief guilds. I am going to read some stuff about mythology that might fit this army.
I definatly think Djinn should be summoned some how. I was going to post some units probably tomorrow morning just to get some thoughts flowing.

I dont' really know the relationship to the tomb kings, I will need to reread the stuff from warmaster, mordheim. I think we will just need to brain storm some ideas.

· Registered
170 Posts
The 3 schools can just be the sand/desert magics, the illusion stuff for the thieves guild, and the summoning/controlling of the djinn magic.

I have beeen trying to think of unique rules and unique troops besides the ones we know about from the Warmaster Army list. Dervishes perhaps? An infiltrating unit called Street Rats, from the thieves guild? A skirmishing unit of guys with huge scimitars/Kopeshs that wield them by doing summersaults in the air and flinging the weapon over their heads with the momentum of theie summersulting body, effectivly giving them a big strength bonus on the charge almost liek an infantry unit with lances. Fedayeen "one who is ready to sacrifice his life" can be an elite guard.

-Lord: Sultian, Grand Visir, Greater Djinn Summoner, Thieves Guildlord
-Hero: Sheik, Visir, Djinn Summoner, Master Thief, Huckster

-Common: Warriors (spear/scimitar&shield), Ranged (sling&shield/bow), Light Horse Cav (archers or spear)
-Special: Camel Riders, Heavy Horse Cav (w/ 2 handed wpns), lesser djinn (requires a summoner), Fedayeen, Carpet riders (in units like pegusi riders), dervishes, Street Rats
-Rare: Some sort of Artillery, Elephant, Greater Djinn (requires Greater Summoner)

I am doing some reading on different types of Djinn I will post it next

· Consumate professional
3,514 Posts
Whats great about the Djins is that there are already perfectly good models available for them! Games Workshop Online Store — Elementals (4 models)

In terms of units, there is a mention in the fluff of the Sultan of Jaffars Black Scimitar Guard- so an elite infantry unit with scimitar, maybe with killing blow ability?

I think any Araby list should contain an assassin type unit, and personally ive always liked the idea of having beast masters with hunting cheetahs or some other sort of exotic animal, i cant see any self-respecting sultan not having a large menagerie of odd and dangerous animals from all over the world.

There should be a special rule for arabian horsemen to reflect the high quality of their mounts.

In terms of their relationship with the tomb kings i would think they would be mortal enemies, a bit like the guys from the film The Mummy. Arabian traders would have to pass through te land of the Dead, perhaps stopping at Numas, which is mentioned in the TK army book as being a city wherethe Scythan and the dead live side by side- but i would think they would keep the dead armies out of their lands pretty strenuously

· Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Guys I love the ideas. However, this is going to run out of control unless we get some structure. So first off lets get a group of between 5-10 people who are willing to work on this project. I really would like to put together a really nice army book with history, some story, and a well balanced army.

· Registered
170 Posts
I am all in as well. I like the idea of elemental djinn. This gives us enough distance from the truth and has models. I have one of the fire elementals painted. We need to think about hte diffences between the Ind army and Aribian army. As we create the list we need to make sure we don't mix to much East Indian Culture into out Aribic culture and mythology. We haven't yet but I think it might be really easy too.

About the Khemri, I am not so sure they would be mortal enemies. Being a TK player I feel that unless the Aribians were coming over and stealing my stuff I would have no quarrel with them at all. We could peacfully coexist without any problem. The TKs are after the Vampire Counts and Nagash. They have no need for land or goods so I think the Aribians would have a respect for that and leave them alone. I even imagine that some of the Thieves Guild Masters and the Darker Royalty have struck deals with the TKs to trade slaves and weapons for services and goods. There probably isn't any standard or regualr trade but I see them coexisting with mutual understanding.

· Consumate professional
3,514 Posts
if there is enmity between them id see it as only the Arabians having a problem with the TK, the ancient history of the wars of conquest by the armies of Khemri. But i agree there would be some sort of coexistence. There would have to be, the Arabians are great traders and the Tomb Kings of Khemri control the safe land routes around the desert to the old world.

I agree that we must be careful not to mix in too many Ind things, elephants are a good example (although as they are in the Warmaster range i see no problem having them as a rare choice)

Im not sure about warmachines. I see an Arabian army as being one built primarily around speed and their horsemen, backed up by lightly armoured infantry. I think they would use plenty or archers though. In the (historical) Arab and Saracen list in WAB they also have a special unit of Naffatun, a maximum of two can be placed in light infantry units and unleash burning projectiles that cause terror- a kind of greek fire weapon i assume

· Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually have a good list I want to see your opinions on. I am just finishing up the rares. I'll be honest I haven't put any thought into the Lords and Heroes.

· Registered
21 Posts
I disagree with that.
They maybe should have some form of artilliary but i think that we could come up with something a little more imaginative and exotic than a bolt thrower.
I am more than happy to have a look into the lords and heroes for you if you want. I can maybe do a couple of special characters and some fluff if you want it as well.

· Registered
30 Posts
They should historically have Cannons.

I mean, historically the Cannonry was famous. They build guns, BIG guns.

Cannons as a rare choice, perhaps if you take Cannons you can't take certain other units (ie, Cannons are only in seige armies, Camel riders and Elephants never are in Seige armies, so you only take one or the other type thing)

· Consumate professional
3,514 Posts
They should historically have Cannons.

I mean, historically the Cannonry was famous. They build guns, BIG guns.

Cannons as a rare choice, perhaps if you take Cannons you can't take certain other units (ie, Cannons are only in seige armies, <a href="http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/?s=camel">Camel</a> riders and Elephants never are in Seige armies, so you only take one or the other type thing)
I assume you are talking about the Ottomans?

In a warhammer perspective though i think black powder weapons would be problematic for them to get hold of given their position geographically. Not just the powder but the metal to build them. What about some kind of Onager type catapult, throwing vases of flaming oil type stuff? like a living version of SSC but without the heads

· Registered
130 Posts
Perhaps bolt throwers firing flaming bolts?

I know this was an Arab trick at some point...

· Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I love a lot of your ideas, but our primary goal is to convert the rules that were offered up from Warmaster's Araby army to make rules for Warhammer.

· Son of LO
5,146 Posts
I think, for history's sake, you need a unit of slave warriors (they could make a great 'honour guard' style unit.) Either elite heavy infantry or elite heavy cavalry would do, probably with very high leadership, but number restrictions. I think that's what they were going for with the 'guards' entry in the warmaster list.

Also.. it's a standard fantasy port, the Hashishyn could make a nice addition, especially if you wanted a more stealth based character unit. Historically, they were more a criminal syndicate than the middle eastern ninjas they were often made out to be, but meh.. play on the legend. :p

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.