Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it was a good idea to give the wave serpent bright lances. Although they are extremely expensive, and you kindof burn the twin link due to 1 shot, but I feel like my 2000-2500 point list is a bit short on AV.

I have some fire dragons in a falcon... but it takes time to deliver them, and I'd rather be firing all my S6 weapons at infantry instead of trying to burn a tank down with the pulse laser, I have a fire prism... but I'd rather be using the dispersed shots on infantry, I have wraithguard but again it takes time to get them in range and smart ppl just back away from them. Same goes for the Avatar, godly... but too slow to deal with mobile threats.

Would it be a good idea to put the lance on this transport (it'll prolly carry banshees), or is this ill advised?

What do you guys depend on for AV? How do you kit out your serpents.... Missle launchers would be a nice compromise, but they look kinda ugly =P.

Should I even be worried about it all that much?

Much thanks,
Bart

·
Registered
142 Posts
I use about 4 serpents in each game above 1000 pts, and they all have TL-bright lances. For exactly the points that you mentioned, i think they are worth it, and they kill every tank they see...

·
Registered
163 Posts
everytime I take a serpent I put Tl Bright Lances on it. Just for that exact purpose. In my 1500+ lists I have two serpents and two fire prisms, capable of popping up to four tanks right off the bat. Giving your wave serpents BL is a great idea.

·
Registered
545 Posts
The bright lances are oh so much fun on wave serpents. Don't worry about "burning the twin linked." This is what it's made for! ;Y In fact the wave serpent is one of the few places I would trust a bright lance. Dang guardians can't hit squat!

·
The Demagogue
485 Posts
I think you've seen the results, you arent crazy afterall! It's true than in the eldar army the bright lance perhaps belongs most on a wave serpent. Sure, it has lower BS but it's twin linked so you're still going to make more than half your shots per game (now if only we could reroll the av roll somehow!) I really think the EML is a viable option as well, and in an anti horde list is a much better option since a wave serpent can either put out a blast template and shuricannon shots, yet still be effective at vehicle hunting due to the speed a serpent can get to side/rear armor. It's ultimately up to you, but for your purposes I would go with a Bright Lance too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Yay, that puts my fears to rest, now all i have to decide is whether to go with the SC upgrade or not..

Thanks for all the input

·
The Demagogue
485 Posts
I go with the cannon when I use a ML and with a BL you're gonna be aiming at the highest av on the table and a few s6 shots probably wont do much.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I feel as if I only just finished the last thread on what to slap on top of a waveserpent.
I'm going to play devils advocate because it makes me feel special.

Bright lances are good.
Bright lances are expensive.
Bright lances are only good at killing big stuff.

There is no 'best' option for waveserpent armament.

I use two seperate loadouts for mine.

First, the one everyone else here seems to prefer:
Brightlances, Star engines and Spirit Stone.
Cargo of Banshees.

The use of this configuration is to motor across the board at relativistic speeds in turn one, drop the Banshees and go off on it's own being a tank-hunting gunship while the Banshees do their thing.
It can do this because the Banshees once offloaded are going to be in combat and hopefully able to pile into another unit afterwards. It can pick off tanks and tank-shock enemy units off of objectives because it's transport purpose has been served.

Second, the option no-one seems to consider:
Twin Linked Shuriken Cannon, Shuriken Cannon, Spirit Stone.
Cargo of Avengers.

This is a hell of a lot cheaper, leaving you more points to spend on scoring units.
The Serpent remains with it's squad, dropping them off to Bladestorm and adding it's own firepower to the squad's. They then pile back in and find another target while they reload.
It's weaponry complements the squad in terms of ideal targets and range. It costs a mere 120 points compared to 145 for the brightlance configuration.

Now neither one is better, they are situational. I have one Brightlance Waveserpent and all the rest are Shuriken Cannon armed.]
Choose wisely.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think if you need more Anti-tank, then this is your best solution without spending extra points. Another alternative would be get a WL with EML and BL. However, just upgrading weapons on a WS is going to be cheaping then adding a whole new unit of a WL.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would normally think that yes a S6 weapon on a an anti-tank platform wouldn't really be a good idea. However, against anything but a Landraider or Monolith it isn't S6 vs AV12-14 it is S6 against AV10 given the maneuverability of the WS. It also allows for it to remain a threat to tanks if/when you get weapon destroyed and the TL BL is gone.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
"Ask not a question of the Eldar..." etc

:)

OK I agree with the earlier posters to a degree, the serpent is a good source of AT weapons, be they EML or BL, clearly the BL is the better of the two, it is a reasonably sensible set up, the question is simply do you need (more) AT?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts