Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been browsing recent posts and have not come across a waywatcher lord. I was interested in some feedback on the playability of a list like this:

Highborn -Waywatcher Kindred, Bow of Loren, Arcane Bodkins, Amaranthine Borach, extra hand weapon

Noble - Waywatcher Kindred, Moonstone of the Hidden Ways, Extra Handweapon

Spellsinger (level1) - Staff of Sorcery

Spell Singer (level1) - Divination Orb, Dispel Scroll

Glade Guard -12 (musician)
Glade Riders - 8 (Musician)
Dryads - 8
Dryads - 8

Wardancers - 7
Wild Riders - 5
Wild Riders - 5
Warhawk Riders - 4

Great Eagle
Waywatchers - 10

My basic thoughts were to deploy terrain with a forest on either side of the table as well as my 6 inch forest somewhere in the middle. Put the Waywatcher unit with the lord and hero in the forest behind enemy lines to mess with Bolt throwers, single casters, or heavy Cav. Maybe even have the lord leave the unit so he can target something else with his no armour save multi shot. Hopefully this will distract the opposing general's while I advance my more fragile units and get them in to some favorable positions.

Maybe, after turn one with so many points so close and a serious threat so close to his battle line, he will focus on them a bit too much. Once he is turned around and committed, I will have the lord rejoin the unit and then the noble use the moonstone to get them back to the other side of the table where they continue to shoot from the other forest. Hopefully now my warhawk riders, eagles are within charge range of any seige weapons or casters and my other units are in a better position to do what they need to do to get off flank rear charges. (especially if some units have turned around to try and eat my general)

The 24 glade guard will advance provide a threat from the main front and then advance to provide support to the new waywatcher unit's position. It seems cool in my minds eye, but maybe it is just a huge cluster fug.... I hope the +1 to dispell and the extra dispel die for 3+ power die spells gives me enough magic defense to keep the general and his 400 points worth of friends alive long enough to Moonstone (Hearth) outta there. Big nasty terror bombs, combat lords, dragons, hydras and their like I don't really have an answer to. (although I never seem to anyway.)

Just thinking out loud before I actually try and field something like this. Thoughts on major oversights I will regret the second I deploy almost 700 points behind enemy lines?

Summary:

Before models start to drop:

11 Killing blow shots from the rear
4 armour negating shots from the rear
24 strength 4 shots from the front
12 strength 3 shots from the front/sides

4 dispel dice (+1 to dispel rolls and hopefully a few extra dispel dice for the tough spells) - one scroll
Nothing higher than strength 4 - (except wild rider charges)

Kiz

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dang, I just read the rules for posting and I think I broke the rule for the title of the list. Can a moderator please fix this and then delete the message I am writing now. I can't seem to edit my title.
More of a suggestion than a rule. This post will point people in the right direction. -SirKently

I am not sure that this list is unfriendly, but the people I play against like to play very competitive lists, so maybe I should get this labelled as competitive so when people comment they can let me know how badly this list might get PWNED. See my Bolt Throwers - Ouch threads as an example of what I am trying to deal with.

Thanks.

Kiz

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have been browsing recent posts and have not come across a waywatcher lord. I was interested in some feedback on the playability of a list like this:

Highborn -Waywatcher Kindred, Bow of Loren, Arcane Bodkins, Amaranthine Borach, extra hand weapon

Noble - Waywatcher Kindred, Moonstone of the Hidden Ways, Extra Handweapon
Teleporting Waywatchers... cool idea. Adding the bow of loren to unit was also a good idea. I really dont think you want two characters in the same unit though, eggs in baskets issues. I've never used the moonstone on a waywatcher, so I don't know how it'd work.

Spellsinger (level1) - Staff of Sorcery
Dispel Scrolls are better here. You don't have enough dice to really make the staff work.

Spell Singer (level1) - Divination Orb, Dispel Scroll
Also, just go double scrolls. Any time he's throwing enough dice to proc the divination orb, a scroll will be better. And you can use a scroll no matter what; the enemy can stop you from using the orb.

ten is a more optimal size. If want more massed shooting, you should be able to get enough points to get three units of ten.

Glade Riders - 8 (Musician)
Five is a more optimal size. They're better for march blocking and baiting than shooting, and they don't need to be big to do that.

Dryads - 8
Dryads - 8
I like these. :D

Wardancers - 7
Wild Riders - 5
Wild Riders - 5
Warhawk Riders - 4
I'd condense the wild riders into a unit of six with a standard and warbanner. Don't forget their free musicians. Also, try to get another Wardancer unit. Maybe drop a warhawk to do that if the earlier changes don't get you the points.

Great Eagle
Waywatchers - 10

My basic thoughts were to deploy terrain with a forest on either side of the table as well as my 6 inch forest somewhere in the middle. Put the Waywatcher unit with the lord and hero in the forest behind enemy lines to mess with Bolt throwers, single casters, or heavy Cav. Maybe even have the lord leave the unit so he can target something else with his no armour save multi shot. Hopefully this will distract the opposing general's while I advance my more fragile units and get them in to some favorable positions.

Maybe, after turn one with so many points so close and a serious threat so close to his battle line, he will focus on them a bit too much. Once he is turned around and committed, I will have the lord rejoin the unit and then the noble use the moonstone to get them back to the other side of the table where they continue to shoot from the other forest. Hopefully now my warhawk riders, eagles are within charge range of any seige weapons or casters and my other units are in a better position to do what they need to do to get off flank rear charges. (especially if some units have turned around to try and eat my general)

The 24 glade guard will advance provide a threat from the main front and then advance to provide support to the new waywatcher unit's position. It seems cool in my minds eye, but maybe it is just a huge cluster fug.... I hope the +1 to dispell and the extra dispel die for 3+ power die spells gives me enough magic defense to keep the general and his 400 points worth of friends alive long enough to Moonstone (Hearth) outta there. Big nasty terror bombs, combat lords, dragons, hydras and their like I don't really have an answer to. (although I never seem to anyway.)

Just thinking out loud before I actually try and field something like this. Thoughts on major oversights I will regret the second I deploy almost 700 points behind enemy lines?

Summary:

Before models start to drop:

11 Killing blow shots from the rear
4 armour negating shots from the rear
24 strength 4 shots from the front
12 strength 3 shots from the front/sides

4 dispel dice (+1 to dispel rolls and hopefully a few extra dispel dice for the tough spells) - one scroll
Nothing higher than strength 4 - (except wild rider charges)

Kiz
I'd really think about trimming waywatchers by dropping characters out of htat unit. Having a teleporting unit of them is a nifty idea (though wardancers are a more common choice), but ultimately, you're paying 600-700 points for a bunch of strength 3 killing blow shooting. The character's aren't adding much to that. I'd consider, strongly, swapping your High Born for something to effect of the Bow of Loren Alter. He's got the Bow of Loren, the Arcane Bodkins, a thirty point ward, the enchanted shield, light armor, and a great weapon. Quite nasty in his own right.

If your waywatcher strategy doesn't work (and I personally have my doubts), consider simply making your waywatcher noble a wardancer noble, and TP them to support the waywatchers by counter charging whatever comes after them.

·
4,361 Posts
I am not sure about the waywatcher lord. You are paying for an ability (killing blow), that you won't use because of the bow you also took. I think I would change him to an alter. The other noble with the moonstone would be good enough in the waywatchers unit. Otherwise, I tend to agree with what gnomish said.

Good luck,
SirKently

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I kind of like the idea of moving wardancers to support better than what I was thinking. The other advice is helpful too. I have played 4 games with my wood elves and been massacred every time, so I will defer to your expertise.

Last game I was even vice flanking daemons of chaos, including rear and side flanks on units and I just got destroyed. I was just hoping to find something that might work and I was just thinking something along the lines of staying out of combat was needed...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.