Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
page 57 of the main rule book lists the non=magical missile weaponse,
As for a bolt thrower I am uncertain - its description is a large crossbow - so it might, not sure about this one.

·
Banned
4,252 Posts
Anything that doesn't have Magic to do with it. A RBT doesn't count. A magic projectile is a spell that does damage, or anything from a Magic bow or with magic arrows. A non-magic projectile is one that doesn't have any of the above.

If the Bolt thrower has a Rune, it counts as magical. It states so in the runes description. A RBT doesn't count unless there's something a bit more to the new HEs that I don;t know.

-AFG

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
P. 90 refers to bolt throwers as a giant crossbow that fires a missle. Is there a rules lawyer in the house who'd like to argue that those lines support making them a missile weapon? :?

P. 85 says some are fired "like normal missile weapons."

I've never considered it before, to be honest, but I've always played that the spell protected units from war machines, too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Text "and can not be hurt by non-magical missile weapons"

Rulebook Pg 57 "Missile weapons are bows, crossbows and similar weapons whether primitive . . . or complex. . . ."

Justification for treating bolt throwers is:
Rulebook Page 90 Refers to bolt thrower firing a missile
Page 85 Refers to some war machines being fired like normal missiles using bs.

Justification for NOT considering all war machines to be "non-magical missile weapons"
Rulebook page 85 Same text that defines some war machines being fired like normal missile weapons differentiates weapons where you guess the distance.

Thus, the following arguments could clearly be made:
1. Missile weapons refer to hand weapons bows, crossbows and others whether primitive or complex but exclude war machines because the language refers to "like" on page 85 to give a parralel for understanding not to reclassify a war machine as a missile weapon.

2. Missile weapons refer to hand weapons bows, crossbows and others whether primitive or complex and include war machines which use BS because they on page 85 are refered to as firing "like" missile weapons and that is carried thru to page 90 where it specifically calls the bolt a missile. OR

3. Missile weapons refer to all shooting be it that which uses bs and is defined on page 57 or war machines that on page 85 are referred to as like a missile weapon and clearly use BS to target and all other war machines.

My question is not so much how you justify interpretations one or two but how you can reach the conclusion that ALL war machines (obviously all non-magical ones in this spell's case) particularly those which are differentiated on page 85 as not being fired like normal missile weapons (such as a stone thrower) would be negated in effect by The Hidden Path.

I was trying not to skew the results as I really want YOUR opinions and how tournaments typically resolve this quandry. I am stumped!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nowhere does it say that a warmachine is NOT a missile weapon. The definition for missile weapons is written to include things more complex than a bow (like a bolt thrower). The only difference between a weapon that you must guess the range for and one that you must us BS for is how it targets its opponents. There is no BS or guessing used for firing a Magic Missile and I think we can all agree that those are missile weapons, right?

All Im saying is, of course you get the save against warmachines. (Except those pesky dwarf ones).

-BigPappa.

·
609 Posts
From everything I've read and seen, warmachines don't count as "magical missile weapon." Unless of course it specifically has a clause saying it is magical because of runes or somthing. Or it has a spell cast upon it that makes it a magic weapon etc. Therefore bolt throwers are not magical and the spell would protect you. :C

·
LO Zealot
1,503 Posts
Any Dwarven warmachine with a runes attached
Skaven Warp Lighting Cannon and other warp powered weaponry
Tomb Kings Screaming Skull Catapult

These are the only warmachines that I'm aware have attacks that count as magical - Maybe also the Chaos Hellcannon.

Empire Cannons/Mortars/Hellblaster/Steam Tank cannon/Rocket Battery/etc
Greenskin Bolt Throwers/Catapults/Doom Divers
Brettonian Trebuchet
Dark Elf RBTs
High Elf RBTs
Ogre Kingdoms Scraplaunchers
Lizardmen Stegadon Bolt Thrower

To my knowledge, none of these warmachines have anything that state their ammunition counts as magical.

Tomb Kings' Casket of Souls and Dwarf's Anvil of Doom are warmachines with absolute unique rules, but it also specifically states that attacks from these count as magical.

Aside from the oft seen Chaos Dwarves and Dogs of War units, I believe that's every warmachine in the world of Warhammer.

·
Registered
222 Posts
All shooting attacks, are considered as missiles. Even a treemans strngle roots.

It doesn't really matter if u need to roll to hit or, if they hit automatically.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Forgot 2 add, only magical attacks make the difference in this matter. which would allow dwarf war machines with runes on them, to target the unit and hurt them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.