Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have vultures what weapon combos do you use/ find most effective?
(I just got mine in the mail and have no experiances yet)

·
646 Posts
Hi , I havn't got a Vulture myself, but wouldn't mind having one.
If I was to take a vulture, the chances are I would have to loose my Russes to do it due to the extreme cost, so I would need to give it quite a bit of killing power.

The TL Autocannons appealed to me, as did the HK missile pods, however they would naturaly want to fire at different targets. So overall I think you are better off with Lascannons or missile launchers to compliment the HKs.

If I were to use the Autocannon variant I would probibly opt for one of the rocket pod options, but I don't have all the stats with me right now. I might be mistaken, but I beleive hellstrike missiles are AP4. That would probibly be my choice.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hell-strikes have the same stats as krack missiles, also have u considered heavy bombs, you can have six and they do the same damage as the griffon mortor. and what about the missle pods?

·
646 Posts
In that case, what's the difference between buying 2 hellstrike missiles and 2x 3 Rockets? (HK missiles). Can it fire all 6 at the same time? That might be worth it!

I wouldn't get heavy bombs. 20pts for a 1-shot weapon is obscene, even if it does have a good statline, and it's barrage so it scatters and has a minimum range.

Rocket pods are Str4 AP6 Heavy2/Blast. OK, but not really worth it.
I'll stick to my original instinct and get Autocannons/Lascannons and HKs/Hellstrikes. I think a hellstrike is essentialy a missile launcher - so it's probibly just looses the unlimited range.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no, it still has unlimited range but there is a "missile launcher" choice, aka only 1 shot per turn but doesnt run out. But the bombs cost 60 for 6 and they have no min range..... just think u can drop 6 str 6 ordinance plated on someone in 1 turn for 60pts!!! and if u pay 90 u get smartbombs which can reroll scatter.

·
646 Posts
That's not bad, but IA does say they are minium range of 12". Still, 12" isn't too bad. I've just never had any success with barrage weapons in the past. Even taking 3 Basalisks they tended to suck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
don't underestimate the value of rocket pods. note 4 points - 1. Heavy 2 (2 templates) 2. NOT twin linked (4 templates per pair) 3. available on both hard points. (8 templates total!) 4. NOT 1 shot weapons. Now add in a HB. I've raked in the kills with these puppies, against a horde army like Nids, orks, Kroot or guard they are unbelieveable. I've got 2 pods mounted on my Vulture at the minute, I've killed entire squads in a round of firing. I've also got Lascannons mounted on it, but these have been dissapointing to date (its a waste of fire power to shoot at a couple of powerful vehicles or creatures when you could be decimating infantry!
I have to admit to loving the detailing on the guns themselves, but you've gotta consider the role you want for it - tank hunting or infantry suppression, or the middle ground (which experiece has shown to be a bit of a dud).
Tank hunting - TL LC & 6x HK missiles
Infantry Suppression - 4 x rocket pods

For 3+ save armies I'd probably go with the sets above, your gonna force a lot of saves on a unit of infantry with those rocket pods.

Theres a note for Hellstrikes too, either use them as HK's (normal flyer rules) or (advanced flyer rules - see IA3) they have 48" range and use the ordnance damage table (same stats otherwise though)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Dont forget the advanced flyer rules in IA3 allow you to shoot different weapon types at different targets, so in theory you could shoot the heavy bolter at one squad and the rocket pods at another. Its not per individual targets but weapon type, so all your heavy bolters on one target, all your rocket pods on another, all your missiles/bombs on another, etc...

Quite usefull if you want a flyer that has anti-infantry and anti-armor weapons.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Loranis said:
Dont forget the advanced flyer rules in IA3 allow you to shoot different weapon types at different targets, so in theory you could shoot the heavy bolter at one squad and the rocket pods at another. Its not per individual targets but weapon type, so all your heavy bolters on one target, all your rocket pods on another, all your missiles/bombs on another, etc...

Quite usefull if you want a flyer that has anti-infantry and anti-armor weapons.
Sorry mate, this only applies to super-heavy flyers. You need structure points for this to count.

·
Registered
116 Posts
almostsilentbob said:
Sorry mate, this only applies to super-heavy flyers. You need structure points for this to count.
Just asked the forge world people to be sure, its in the advanced flyer rules, you can choose to fire different weapon types at different targets, IE guns, bombs and missiles.

All flyers just not super-heavy flyers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Loranis is correct. I have two Valkyries and a Vulture and this question was a primary concern after I played my first game with them. When I emailed them I receive the same response: those rules are for all fliers.

My Vulture uses Twin Linked Lascannons and two racks of 3X Heavy Smart Bombs. That means I have the possibility of dropping six ordinance templates in one turn. Would I do this? Of course not, because they would all have to be at the same target. However, just the thought of having that much firepower titillates my senses and makes me swoon with love over the firepower.

On a side note, I arm the Valkyries with a Lascannon and Two Hellstrike missiles. I really like the Hellstrike missiles because they do not require a BS skill to hit like the HK missiles.

Worlds Collide.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"I really like the Hellstrike missiles because they do not require a BS skill to hit like the HK missiles."

-why have i never heard of this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Worlds Collide said:
Loranis is correct. I have two Valkyries and a Vulture and this question was a primary concern after I played my first game with them. When I emailed them I receive the same response: those rules are for all fliers.

My Vulture uses Twin Linked Lascannons and two racks of 3X Heavy Smart Bombs. That means I have the possibility of dropping six ordinance templates in one turn. Would I do this? Of course not, because they would all have to be at the same target. However, just the thought of having that much firepower titillates my senses and makes me swoon with love over the firepower.

On a side note, I arm the Valkyries with a Lascannon and Two Hellstrike missiles. I really like the Hellstrike missiles because they do not require a BS skill to hit like the HK missiles.

Worlds Collide.
erm, then when did IA3 change? I've got it open on my knee, it clearly states (from the advanced flyer rules section) - "For standard-sized aircraft, all their firing must be against a single target as for standard-sized vehicles"

Its not been changed in the FAQ's so I dunno who replied to your email, they mustn't have read their own book :D

And you do need to roll to hit for hellstrikes, thats in the same rules section, you just roll for armour pen as an ordnace weapon.

If they want to change it, it should be in the FAQ;s. Its currently specified nice and clearly in the books.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts