Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading through the codices and BRB, i haven't been able to find the answer to the question i'm about to ask, and if it has been asked and answered on the forum already, I apologize, as my search function is not working.

okay here's the question:

When a weapon type says something like Heavy 1 or Heavy 3, what do the numbers mean? is that how many attacks that weapon provides? or is it how many wounds it can cause? or is it just some arbitrary number to confuse the heck out of newcomers like me?

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
okay here's the question:

When a weapon type says something like Heavy 1 or Heavy 3, what do the numbers mean?
is that how many attacks that weapon provides?
This is the correct answer.

The only time when a weapon profile will deal additional damage it will specifically say so - any other numbers (such as assault 2, heavy 3 etc) simply specify the number of shots the weapon gets each time it shoots.

[edit] Oh and just to potentially save confusion later, the number of attacks a model has on it's profile has nothing to do with how many shots its gun gets - there are one or two exceptions to this but they will be specifically noted.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, so say i have a weapon that is Heavy 3, that means each shooting phase with that weapon i roll 3 to hit dice?

[edit] and thanks for the help, i just want to be completely clear on all the rules, and sometimes it just isnt spelled out clearly RAW you know? rep for you :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the clarification :) and i feel so stupid because i re-read the beginning part of the weapons section in BRB and there it was in plain black and white text. Although now i do have a question about blasts, lets say that there is a Heavy 2, Blast, Barrage weapon, i know how to do multi-blast from multiple models in a unit, would you follow those same rules, IE resolve each blast of the 2 individually, or would you place the template for both blasts at the same time, since it was fired from a single weapon?

·
Registered
225 Posts
The rules for multiple barrage weapons can be found on pg 32. There is a very easy to follow graphic that explains it quite well.

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
@ tassadar7945:

A weapon's "Type" column in its profile may include a lot of different elements. The words demonstrate the weapon types (Assault, Heavy, etc), but may also indicate that there are further weapon characteristics to bear in mind (number of shots, special rules/abilities). To give a complicated example:

An Airbursting Fragmentation Projector (a Tau special issue weapon which is only available to certain ranks in the Tau Codex) is noted as Assault 1, but there are two other characteristics noted as well in its "Type" column in the Codex. However, when taking the *whole* profile into account, we find that the weapon's range is marked with a "G" (see P.32 BRB 2nd para left column). This introduces 2 further characteristics to the weapon which are not actually noted in its "Type" column but which apply with equal relevance.

It's therefore important that the entire weapon profile for any weapon is read as a whole, since some of its elements may cause other rules to be incorporated into the weapon's type through additional characteristics.

E.

G

·
And just to confuse you further you have 'rapid fire' weapons, that shoot twice up to 12", or once if you didn't move to 24".

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@ tassadar7945:

A weapon's "Type" column in its profile may include a lot of different elements. The words demonstrate the weapon types (Assault, Heavy, etc), but may also indicate that there are further weapon characteristics to bear in mind (number of shots, special rules/abilities). To give a complicated example:
I was mainly wondering about the said numbers next to type, I know how the basics of the types work, heavy, assault, and rapid fire, i was just making sure about how many dice to roll to wound when firing said weapon. I know you have to read the entire profile as a whole, because lets say you had a completely fictitous and totally broken weapon:

Supa Burna:

Range: Template Strength: 5 AP: - Type: Assault 3, Rending, Pinning

would mean you get three wound chances with the template, and can fire after moving, and on 6s to wound, you cause insta wounds, and cause go to ground checks (yes i know how broken this weapon is, i just wanted to make it complicated, yet simple)

So i do read the entire profiles when looking a t a weapon, i just wanted to make sure of the number next to the primary type, IE: Heavy, Rapid Fire, Assault

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
Supa Burna:

Range: Template Strength: 5 AP: - Type: Assault 3, Rending, Pinning

would mean you get three wound chances with the template, and can fire after moving, and on 6s to wound, you cause insta wounds, and cause go to ground checks (yes i know how broken this weapon is, i just wanted to make it complicated, yet simple)
Missed a bit - on a Rending 6, it causes automatic wounds... At AP2. Or if it's hitting a tank, those 6's give you an extra D3 to your armour penetration roll (so, S5 plus 6 plus D3)

Oh, yeah - you could charge after shooting that thing, too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
as i said, hellishly broken, and yeah i did miss a bit, wasn't fully recalling rending, god rending is evil in 5e... but yeah burn the lot of them, then charge in. if there ever were to be a weapon like that, it would have to be an IC only wargear, and single shot, i mean you could make an argument for a multishot flamer, and that it would cause pinning, by like say, overloading the fuel pump and emptying the entire tank in one go, i would never EVER give it rending though, nor would i let it be an assault weapon because lets face it, if you were pouring out that much fire, you wouldnt want to go running into the probably VERY hot and volatile area, and i would require a Gets Hot, but instead of on a 1 it causes a wound, id say you either have to roll 1 die for each shot, or it automatically wounds on a 1 instead of allowing a save, or if you make the save, prevents it from killing you when it goes kablooey lol. wow i'm off topic.

·
The Keenest of Eyes
672 Posts
I was mainly wondering about the said numbers next to type, I know how the basics of the types work, heavy, assault, and rapid fire, i was just making sure about how many dice to roll to wound when firing said weapon.
Before we go any further, let's just take a step back a bit. You have mentioned here how many dice you roll to wound, when in happenstance, the number next to the weapon profile entry ( ie. Assault, Heavy, etc. ) actually determines the number of dice you roll to hit. Do not get confused with this.

Taking a basic weapon for example, but one that fires multiple shots, lets look at the Heavy Bolter from the Space Marines. It is detailed as Heavy 3. Now the 3 does not tell you how many wounds you can cause but how many hits you are allowed to cause. Only after you have rolled your hits, do you then roll wounds for each of the successful hits. Bear in mind, however, that codex rules always overide those from the rulesbook, and you will come across a scenario where certain weapons automatically hit. In this case, this scenario is no exemption. Because all of the hits were successful, you then roll the wounds equal to the number in the weapons profile, because all of the hits were dead on target.

You might also come across a weapon that causes two wounds for each successful hit, and this is why you must be cautious when rolling, so as you do not discount the fact that you roll to hit first and THEN roll to wound those that were successful. So, naturally, say you score three hits with a weapon that causes 2:1 wounds, and therefore you roll 6 wounds. If you rolled to wound first, even though you may not, then you would only be rolling for 3 wounds. I hope you see the logic.

Hope that helps.

Good Hunting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts