Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Chilli Fueled Heretic
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

This thread is to discuss the hot topic of weathering, whether it is an old rusty leman russ tank or a battle hardened chaos warriors boots, we all want to make our models look like they really have been to war.

Feel free to post your own weathering questions or tips in this thread as a resource for others to use.

Dan

*EDIT*
Some of my own.

·
Egg Head Miniatures:fbook
1,900 Posts
Dan has just asked me to pop a couple of bits n pieces on here so here goes.

Firstly, I did a tutorial a little while ago on chipped paint and weathering yellow.......... HERE

If you don't own it get the FW model masterclass book and, if you can find copies, have a look at the Verlinden range of military modelling books. THEY ARE AWESOME!

And here is a few miniatures I've used different effects on. One of the things I think is critical about all weathering is to consider where would see wear and also who is using the vehicles. Some kit will be well looked after and others less so dependant on race and operational parameters of the force. Hence, the Sister's Exorcist is very 'clean' in comparision to the ork stuff.

·
kinkeh secks pl0x?!
420 Posts
I thought I'd chime in with my two cents on the issue of weathering since beginning to realise that it will add alot of depth to my vehicles which otherwise look very bland compared to the rest of my army which is coming along nicely thanks to the techniques I've found whilst using this website over a long period of time... a couple of years at LEAST!

well from what i've learnt! interestingly from And Justice For All, Danjones and a myriad of other users is that rushing models is basically a sin. Take your time and eventually you'll have an army that not only looks amazing but your proud to say is yours.

In reference to weathering I followed And Justice For All's tutorial on weathering yellow but tweaked it for my army (Crimson Fists)... I'm ecstatic with the outcome.. really looks very good. (Picture's below)

As well as this I have recently purchased the Tamiya Weathering Master Set B which can be found here: Tamiya Weathering Master & Stick
I purchased from my Local Model Zone in the Westfield Derby. Brilliant shop
I didn't even realise this existed until visiting Ravendove's Sons Of Orar thread which is coming along very nicely. Anyway there is an example of using the soot on a tank on page 6 of the thread:
http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/projects/201486-ravendoves-sons-orar-6.html

I will be doing this to my tanks as well in the future. when I have enough time to think because currently my dissertation is the bane of my life.

here are my attempts at weathering Red and Blue.

- BT.

·
Cat-Herder Extraordinaire
962 Posts
I'd like to offer a thread of mine which goes pretty in-depth of weathering, both in technique and materials used.
It's a bit too much to just copy here as it's quite a comprehensive progress log for the painting of a large scale FW Space Marine. All techniques used are perfectly suited for vehicles and display pieces but everything used can also be perfectly adapted for use on smaller models.

So, my two cents to this pool of knowledge:
Forgeworld Space Marine

·
Art Culinaire
1,699 Posts
Definite rep! I recently picked up a few Tamiya weathering kits myself and should be posting results here fairly shortly. I am totally interested in where this thread is going to go. Consider myself subscribed!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I thought I would put some of my shots up (I really want to get all my Orks done before I started to upload them).

When I started this army I hadnt painted anything since 3rd edition in any detail just the odd model I thought looked good. I want to thank Justice for all for his thread as it inspired me to practically repaint all my tanks lol.

So for some Orky stuffs, I use mainly a sponge, FW weathering powder.

Looted Space Wolf Pred

Grot tanks (before I knew of the spong)

Kans

·
Registered
211 Posts
anyone have a mud tutorial? I have been searching and havent found anything good. My ork bikers and trukks needs soem mud on the wheels because they look a little to clean and unorky without it

·
Chilli Fueled Heretic
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anyone have a mud tutorial? I have been searching and havent found anything good. My ork bikers and trukks needs soem mud on the wheels because they look a little to clean and unorky without it
Hi there, HERE is a mud tutorial from Mig. Ive previously used real soil for my mud, a little varnish and some washes and it looks fine.

Dan

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Hey I just found this on TinWeasel's site.

He goes as far as making REAL RUST to paint with!

Painting by Tinweasel - Realistic Rust Effects

Be careful folks - bleach and vinegar is a nasty mix - pay particular attention to leaving the lid undone for two days and if you have young kids keep it away from them (obviously!)

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
That rust tutorial is cool, but I gotta say I've never been a fan of doing it like this. Ditto for using real metal polishing powders to "shine" up metallic paints, etc. Kinda like gluing sand on the base and not painting it. Yes, it looks real, and if you like it, well, that's all that matters, but me, I feel like I'm "cheating" by doing this stuff. I know, I know, in a hobby that's being done for fun, there's no such thing, but... I can't do it. I feel prouder of myself when I use the right combo of washes, drybrushing, sponging and other effects to make it look just as real.

Just my two bits.

·
Cat-Herder Extraordinaire
962 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
AK-Interactive products are one of the best weathering products on the market. It's very good to make weathering on 40k models. Take a look on my blog:
Modelling materials (part 3) | Coloured Dust
Modelling materials (part 8) | Coloured Dust

and some tutorials on my blog about weathering:
HOW TO's:How To | Coloured Dust
CHIPPING: How to make a chipping effect? | Coloured Dust
SLIMY GRIME: How to make slimy grime effect? | Coloured Dust
DARK STEEL: How to use "Dark Steel" pigment? | Coloured Dust

1 - 16 of 16 Posts