Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
kut maar krachtig
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and girls,

I need help fithing against my roommates ultra SM army. his list consists of the following:

[FONT=&quot]Ultramarines: 1000 pts[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]command squad[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]forcecommander, stormbolter, lightningclaw, furious charge, frag grenades [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 vet. Sergeant, powerfist, boltpistol, furious charge [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7 marines, hth weapons, furious charge [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 rhino, extra armour, dozerbalde [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]total: 343 pts[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]tactical squad[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 vet. Sergeant, powerfist, boltpistol [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7 marines, bolters, plasmagun [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 rhino, extra armour [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]total: 215 pts[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]scout squad[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6 scouts, 5 sniper rifles, heavy bolter [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]total: 108 pts[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]assault squad [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 vet. Sergeant, powerfist, boltpistol [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7 marines, jump-pack [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]total: 199 pts[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]vindicator[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 vindicator, extra armour, Dozer blade [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]total: 135 pts[/FONT]

I have tried a lot of list's against this army and haven't been able to come out on top yet.

have tried:
a wraith based list
a Flying circus list
a monolith/ wraith list

and probably some more then that but the main problem is to take out the Vindicator. it keeps dropping in late in the game and then I have no chance to shoot at it before it shoot's me and it drops entire squads then. Any list's or suggestions are apreciated.

list i'm planning to uses next time.

Lord Orb and VoD
7 Immortals
10 warriors
10 warriors
monolith

991 pts.

I hope the monolith can help me recycle some more warriors and help me take out his assault force while I use my Lord's unit to try and take out his Vindicator and his scout's

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Ok... i dont think a Lord on foot will be much good here, and a Lith is too expensive really.

Go for a Destroyer Lord, with ResOrb and Phaser. Have him join a unit of 3 Wraiths. They should do pretty well in Combat against most of the marines, high T of the Lord and good S of the Wraiths. Thats 323 pts there...

Then ofcourse, the 20 compulsry Warriors :(

I got some info about the Vindicator from LO chat, and it looks like youll be wanting to stay at range to avoid it as much as posssibly. Add in a unit of 3 or 4 Destroyers, and maybe 5-7 Immortals to take care of it.

You are probably going to want to fill our Fast options, so either some more Wraiths or Desttroyers, depending which should take priority i think. Id say go with Des'.

Flayed ones (4-6) to deal with the scouts and fill points.

·
kut maar krachtig
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i've tried my other 1000 pt list:

Lord orb phase des body

22 warriors

6 wraiths

3 destroyers

and it just seems to be underpowered against his list i can't keep protecting my warriors and those destroyers just keep dieng and killing nothing of any significance.

and immortals on foot are a prime target for his vindi and that's expensive. the flying circus works pretty well if I could get a shot in whit my immortals on the back armour of the vindi.

·
Registered
10 Posts
here we go lets see what i can do

lord destroyer body warscythe phylactery

23x troops

3 destroyers

3 destroyers

3 wraiths

wraiths/lord combo withh start your meatgrinder or take lord and flank vindicator scythe eats through armour remember 18 36" shots with the dest should hurt the assualth squads before they get too close. and the 3 extra troops on top of cumpulsory are for firepower and your phase out. dont waste points on lith or a jacked out hq.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The best advice i can give is to play a higher point game. With the compulsory of 20 warriors, you have spent more then 1/3 of your army already, by the time you add a lord with res orb you are at half. I played necrons a long time ago and the more points i played, the more sucessful i was. Some armies are not made for low level points. Try 1500 or 1750.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Destroyers are the way to go as people have pointed out. I've played alot of games against vindicator and never lost. It has a bad range and against us no vehicle is safe.

Well anyways not to repeat everyone else I'll suggest a bit different list:

Lord with orb
10 warriors
10 warriors
3 destroyers
3 destroyers
7 flayed ones
6 scarabs

Lord stays with warriors to orb them in case you fail to bring the vindicator down early with destroyers. Scarabs slow down the assault squad for turn or 2 and flayed ones deal with who ever gets into melee distance of you first.

·
kut maar krachtig
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well talking to deceiver yersterday has given me an other list entirly it's a dirty tacktick but it just miht work

Lord orb phase Des body
3 wraiths
20 warriors
3 Heavy destroyers
10 scarab swarms

the idea is to swarm his rhino's to the point that all exits are covered and then to put a penetrating hit on the bitch this will make the troops disembark and then because of the 1" rule all his troops die instantly :D

someting a bit different but also will work is

Lord orb phase Des body
3 wraiths
20 warriors
3 destroyers
10 scarab swarms with Dfields

Turbo boost the swarms across the board (3+ inv save against his ordance) the take down the vindicator with the remaining swarms and ofc use the destroyers to pop some shot's asswell then if vindi goes down go after the rhino's or just go harras the assault guys.

well very currious how you guys think about this but seems like it's worth a try

·
7,143 Posts
the idea is to swarm his rhino's to the point that all exits are covered and then to put a pene
Turbo boost the swarms across the board (3+ inv save against his ordance)
They dont get an auti 3+ inv. Turbo boosting just makes you Amour save and Inv one in the opponants next shooting phase only. Hence the swarms will have a 5+ Inv. Also bear in mind they are vulnerable to blasts... so thats 2 Insta kill bases per wound. They wont last long vs the Vindi.

·
7,143 Posts
For some reason, memory tells me ive heard this somewhere before. As 1 wound insta kills a base, and they take double wounds from the High Str blast, 2 bases die. As i said, memory, so you may want to check this lol.

·
LO Zealot
1,552 Posts
Also as to how to beat him (I dont have my codex here since I'm at school) But I'd suggest to feild

1 necron lord w/ res orb, and VOD

6 immortals

10 warriors
10 warriors

3 destoryers
8 scarabs w/ disruption feilds

spend whatever poitns may be left on warriors for numbers or more destoryers

It sounds like a large part of your problem is taking out his vindicator a large squad of scarabs w/distruption feilds should make easy work of his armour, just keep the scarabs behind as much cover as possible till the turn you assualt. Since that vindicator cannon while make very short work of your scarabs without a good cover save and LOS.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would take

lord, res orb
10x2 warriors
5x2 destroyers

First turn, move away from vindicator, dedicate fire to troop transports. Don't move within range of Vindicator. Ever.
It's heavy support, you should know where it's getting placed first turn.

Second turn, one squad of destroyers focuses on Vindicator, another focuses on assault Marine squad. If in range, fire with troops. (this is dependent, of course, on their performance first turn. if the transports can still move, they are priority. Your 20 warriors can deal with some assault marines, and your destroyers should never be assaulted, unless you're doing some really awful movement)

Snipers are lolwut to Necrons. You might take one wound from six shots, two if your dice are crap. Pinning? Not likely.

Third turn, whatever remains of his assault squad is either close enough to rapid fire rape or is in close combat with you. Should not be that tough, considering you have res orb and he probably has far less units than you. DO NOT FORGET THAT YOUR LORD'S STAFF OF LIGHT IS A POWER WEAPON. I didn't realize this for months when I started playing 'crons, and it made me feel pretty stupid. You deny them armor saves. That's almost always one Marine dead a turn. Your destroyers at this point should be focusing on the command squad and the tac squad, which are footslogging it because you busted their phat hoopdies.

If, at any point, it looks like the Vindicator is gonna get within range of your troops, move them all 2 inches apart and dedicate a squadron of destroyers to blowing it up, unless, of course, your troops are still in CC with the assault Marines. He can't bomb you with his own troops there.

That should give you a pretty solid idea of how to deal with his army. I see other people here encouraging you to take wraiths and stuff against the force commander in close combat. I do not think this is wise. Lightning claws are disgusting, your units are not.

Summary:

Priority is on avoiding mass close combat.
Troop transports and units within first, assault squad second, vindicator and snipers third, depending on which one is more likely to cause harm.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would take

lord, res orb
10x2 warriors
5x2 destroyers

First turn, move away from vindicator, dedicate fire to troop transports. Don't move within range of Vindicator. Ever.
It's heavy support, you should know where it's getting placed first turn.

Second turn, one squad of destroyers focuses on Vindicator, another focuses on assault Marine squad. If in range, fire with troops. (this is dependent, of course, on their performance first turn. if the transports can still move, they are priority. Your 20 warriors can deal with some assault marines, and your destroyers should never be assaulted, unless you're doing some really awful movement)

Snipers are lolwut to Necrons. You might take one wound from six shots, two if your dice are crap. Pinning? Not likely.

Third turn, whatever remains of his assault squad is either close enough to rapid fire rape or is in close combat with you. Should not be that tough, considering you have res orb and he probably has far less units than you. DO NOT FORGET THAT YOUR LORD'S STAFF OF LIGHT IS A POWER WEAPON. I didn't realize this for months when I started playing 'crons, and it made me feel pretty stupid. You deny them armor saves. That's almost always one Marine dead a turn. Your destroyers at this point should be focusing on the command squad and the tac squad, which are footslogging it because you busted their phat hoopdies.

If, at any point, it looks like the Vindicator is gonna get within range of your troops, move them all 2 inches apart and dedicate a squadron of destroyers to blowing it up, unless, of course, your troops are still in CC with the assault Marines. He can't bomb you with his own troops there.

That should give you a pretty solid idea of how to deal with his army. I see other people here encouraging you to take wraiths and stuff against the force commander in close combat. I do not think this is wise. Lightning claws are disgusting, your units are not.

Summary:

Priority is on avoiding mass close combat.
Troop transports and units within first, assault squad second, vindicator and snipers third, depending on which one is more likely to cause harm.

I completely agree. I am not a big fan of this scarabs swarming transport tactic that is floating around the forum lately.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah, the scarab swarming thing seems kinda cheesy to me. I know it's legit, but I think that it's a little bit cheap and also a bit risky. A full squad of disruption-fielded scarabs is only 20 pts away from being a full squad of warriors. The right enemies will annihilate them, and in a game this low in points, that's a waste.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.